Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sleepr awd Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepr awd
1990 Galant GSX ... wanting turbo, help?

So i have the option of buying a Galant GSX or GGSX in lue of waiting for my GVR4. I don't really feel like putting around on a stock engine since it seems like a waste of traction for the AWD. 135hp at the crank is about as much as my gf's civic.

I was wondering how much boost the stock engine (4g63 n/t) could hold before it needed to be swapped for a 4g63T. I've been informed that the stock amount of boost will be fine ~8-9psi. I plan on using a stock 1g turbo setup on it to get me by. What times might i expect on the quarter mile? I assume mid-low 15s?

I was also wondering if the Transmission would hold roughly 300whp since that is the furthest it will ever get under my ownership. I need to kno if when i swap in parts, i should try to find the GVR-4 tranny or a built tranny from one of the dsm performance companies.

I also need to kno at what power level the stock clutch will start giving out. It might get to enjoy a few days at the track, but nothing to serious.

I'm under the impression that the engine was entirely rebuilt as well as a new clutch put in. I'm hoping this is true. This will be my daily driver and my poor pos eclipse will be garaged.

Don't act like you don't love it.
503/2000
Sleepr awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:55 PM   #2
19psiMechanic
AF Newbie

Re: 1990 Galant GSX ... wanting turbo, help?

your best bet would be to buy a turbo engine and swap it into your GSX. it's a straight bolt in. you will need an ecu though an dwill have to do a very minor bit of wiring. you'll also need turbo pipes and IC pipes of course. the tranny will be ok up to 300 hp or so.
you can turbo the stock engine but up to about 8 psi at most. stock boost is almost 12 psi in a DSM, so you'll be making about 30 less hp than a stock turbo car.
19psiMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
19psiMechanic
AF Newbie

your best bet would be to buy a turbo engine and swap it into your GSX. it's a straight bolt in. you will need an ecu though an dwill have to do a very minor bit of wiring. you'll also need turbo pipes and IC pipes of course. the tranny will be ok up to 300 hp or so.
you can turbo the stock engine but up to about 8 psi at most. stock boost is almost 12 psi in a DSM, so you'll be making about 30 less hp than a stock turbo car.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

thanks bud, i actually sourced a wrecked GVR4 and it has all the parts i need to swap. i'm wondering if i need anything in particular to swap it over or if it'll just be pull the crap engine out of the GGSX , and then pull the nice one in the GGSX.

Neither car has any mechanical defects so i can't imagine needing any new parts for this swap

nobody seems to kno on the more hardcore GVR4 sites. So i figured i'd ask here.

i kno the engine/trans/diff will be swapped over, i got a better condition 3bolt rear (don't need a 4 bolt yet and i can't afford one)

So everything will just bolt right up correct?? i'm thinkin' we're going to do this in a weekend, since i have some friends that have some experience swapping engines.

503/2000
Old 04-29-2006, 06:15 AM   #5
19psiMechanic
AF Newbie

yeah, that's your best bet. you willalso need to swap the rear ends since the gear ratios are different. make sure you use the turbo trans with the eturbo motor, the GGSX trans won't work, the clutch is different and won't hold any power and the trans itself is weaker.
there's a bit of wiring you'll have to do, but it's easy though.
here's a link.
http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55457

you'll have to read it all but you'l lfind all the info you need in there for the wiring.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

sweet, like i said i have the entire GVR4 so everyting drivetrain wise will be swapped. i've been looking for the wiring thing for a bit, thanks for getting that to me!

503/2000
Old 05-08-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
magik_medicine
AF Newbie

the turbo engine is not a direct swap, the transfer cases are different, becuase the GSX was built on a different chassis, your best bet is an EVO III 4g63t TD05, though they cost 3K, i too am a GSX owner, and im telling you man, save your money, buy a VR4, to turbo that car it would cost twice as much as your going to pay for it, on the other hand, i will sell you mine, 3K....
new radiator suspension and brakes... lmfao.... just buy an EVO III man
magik_medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:32 AM   #8
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by magik_medicine
the turbo engine is not a direct swap, the transfer cases are different, becuase the GSX was built on a different chassis, your best bet is an EVO III 4g63t TD05, though they cost 3K, i too am a GSX owner, and im telling you man, save your money, buy a VR4, to turbo that car it would cost twice as much as your going to pay for it, on the other hand, i will sell you mine, 3K....
new radiator suspension and brakes... lmfao.... just buy an EVO III man
i've got the Galant VR4 in wholeness, including the transfer case. I've also got the Galant GSX in wholeness. they are the same chassis, same almost everything to my knowledge. I've also talked to 2 galant VR4 owners that believe that this should be a direct swap (if the entire drivetrain is swapped). If you would like pictures of either car, i can supply those, so you can see why i'm doing what this is, and why i think it is possible. The only snag i've been informed of is the front motor mount, which i can just replace the bar from the one in the GVR4.

i'm actually buying both galants for a total of 3500$ so no thanks and another 3k $$ later (hopefuly) i should be able to pull some 12's out of it.

I don't have the time or space to wait for an evo3 front clip to come in. i've already got the GVR4 sitting around complete except for a bent frame. I dont' see why a t-case will cause the entire swap to fail. I'll be sure to document the swap for you so that you might also have hope of someday turbo'ing yours

503/2000
Old 05-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
magik_medicine
AF Newbie

so long as the drivetrain is replace yes it is a direct swap, also a killer sleeper, might i suggest a TD05... i think i already did.... and the engine WILL go in and it WILL fit and everyhting WILL work with a GSX drivetrain, however, everything will also proceed to break, the tranfer case and tranny bolt up, and fall apart
magik_medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

yup... i'm counting the days, less than one week til i can start this thing!!!

i've already got a ported 14b for it, and i was actually considering going w/ a holset hx-35 turbo setup in the future with at least 720's or maybe some 800cc injectors...

but that might be a while.

anyways thanks for helping!

503/2000
Old 08-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #11
19psiMechanic
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magik_medicine
so long as the drivetrain is replace yes it is a direct swap, also a killer sleeper, might i suggest a TD05... i think i already did.... and the engine WILL go in and it WILL fit and everyhting WILL work with a GSX drivetrain, however, everything will also proceed to break, the tranfer case and tranny bolt up, and fall apart
actually, the transfer case is exactly the same. i'm using it right now in my turbo swapped ggsx with a turbo trans and turbo rear end.
the TD05 is the stock turbo for a gvr4 anyway, so i would assume he would have that at a bare minimum...
Old 08-28-2006, 12:05 AM   #12
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

i've heard different about the rest of the drivetrain, the transfer case however i have not heard about yet.

tdo5 is also a 16g turbo, ... i'm considering bigger.

503/2000

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant