Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
'88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee Partnership with: LadyNRedSi.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
saljr65
AF Newbie

b18 swap malfunction

hy, guys im new to this forum I need some help on one of my projects I picked from someone else, its a 91 Honda civic ef... they swapped a b18 in it , and wired all the connections with their feet cause that's what it looks like, they also swapped the head off of it and replaced it with a 98 Honda crv head,,,, so its a obd 0 ecu. obd1 engine, with a obd2 dizzy,, I got the car not running, I traced so much crap on this car is not even funny , it wouldn't start and stay running, found ground wire for fuel pump not even connected , blown main realy fuse, and I think they are using the wrong ecu for the b18 , its a pr4 ecu. and I think they are using the wrong dizzy , anyway, I got the thing to run after fixing a bunch of wires, it starts and revs but when driving it has a massive misfire , checked the codes and codes are for crank snsr, tpd location, so basically its the dizzy,.....so I had a spare ecu its a p75 I bought the jumper and installed it , but its worse it wont stay running and im getting a map snsr code, I did swap out the throttle body to a obd1.... but still nothing, im lost on this deal here, question can a obd2 dizzy work on a obd 0 ecu ???? is that my problem ???
thanks
saljr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
saljr65
AF Newbie

Re: b18 swap malfunction

ok update ,,, I swapped out the obd2 dizzy with another one, I got from the junkyard, and now it runs awesome, but I still have the ses light for the crank snsr and top cyl snsr, also I don't know if its opart of the ecu modifications previus owner did, but 1st gear revs up to 3k 2nd gear up to 3k and 3rd.4rth,5th gear is normal rpm range, is that a 2 step ,, ?? or the ecu trying to protect the engine from damage ??
Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

Wow, that's a lot of modifications. Sounds like someone had a bunch of parts laying around for different stuff, and threw it all together to just sell.

The engine only revving up like that is definitely the ECU preventing damage, it's currently in "limp" mode.

With the wiring for the distributor, how exactly is it wired? Is it just hard wired with a different plug on there, some sort of purchased conversion harness, or some kind of DIY conversion harness? It's possible that when the conversion was done, some of the wires were spliced incorrectly. Try comparing the wiring, to see if anything looks out of place:

(Image credit goes to HondaPartsHero of Honda-Tech)
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
saljr65
AF Newbie

thanks for the reply... I followed that same chart, all the wires match
according to the ports, that being said.... the above image the plugs they are showing is that the male end or female end of the plug? ,,, they did the dIY
self way ,, they wired the wires them self to the obd2 dizzy connector,
its a b18b1 with obd 0 harness and they wired in the obd 2 dizzy connector,,,, thanks
Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
saljr65
AF Newbie

ok, update , i cleared the light and ses light came on again for code 4 crank snsr.....i double checked the wiring and its all correct , i swapped with another obd2 dizzy and same code, i checked thw white and orange wire to ecu, they are good, .2 ohms,,,, i also replaced with obd1 dizzy and still ses light code 4 and ecu was cleared each time..... according to specs. the crank snsr ohms is 350 ohm, i checked both obd2 dizzy snsrs they are @ 340 ohms i checked the obd 1 and thats @ 330 ohms... so my question, is 340 ohm normal ??? or it has to be @ 350 ohms in order for crank snsr to work, its just weird all my dizzys are out of range ...
Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

With it being so close, and it being hardwired and likely soldered, I'd say 340 ohms should be fine. If you haven't done the entire diagnosis, especially at the ECU, I'd highly recommend it.

CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
saljr65
AF Newbie

I checked the resistance directly at the distributor, not through the wiring,
and I checked the wiring to see if it was shorted to ground ,, wiring is good, im thinking its the ecu,.... but then again my dizzy is out of spec,. thanks for the help

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee