Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
IndianRob
AF Newbie

Is this style of clamp known to anyone

Hi -

I'm restoring an old chassis and the brake lines are secured with odd clamps. I've attached a pic. There is a "D" shaped piece (1/2" x 1/2") and a 1/4" wide strip of thin sheet metal that is folded over the "D", runs around the axle and back thru the "D" and is coiled to hold the strip in place. I'm guessing there was a tool that came with the little "D" pieces and a roll of strip steel.

Has anyone seen this before? What is it called and is the tool/material available?

Thanks.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0011.jpg (99.7 KB, 9 views)
IndianRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Is this style of clamp known to anyone

I have seen similar clamps, but never anything quite like that. Given the age of that axle, the presence of the rubber insluator and the relatively new-looking line, that clamp is not original.

I would agree with you, it looks like a universal, handy-man type system, like a precursor to a nylon tie-wrap. Do you want to preserve/duplicate it or go with something more authentic?
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
IndianRob
AF Newbie

Hi Rat -

I think this is an original collection of parts but I can understand why it might not make sense. I omitted a description of the vehicle to save space but ...

In 1951 the Indian Motorcycle Company received an order from the NYC Fire and/or Police departments for a small number (7 to 10) 3-wheelers (Indian called them Dispatch Tows, HD called theirs Servi-Cars), meter-maid trikes. Indian hadn't produced a Dispatch Tow (or the Scout, which was the basis of the Dispatch Tow) since 1942 so they used whatever leftover parts were sitting in the warehouse to piece these together. Additionally, NYC must have specified hydraulic brakes because these were the first bikes Indian produced with that feature. I'm sure this combination of factors led Indian to use a number of "whatever was easily available" parts (for example, the rear brake backing plates were from a 1951 Studebaker Commander. I'd really like to know where the brake drums came from but that's another discussion).

Describing these clamps as period zip-ties is perfect - I didn't make the connection.

I can piece together the parts to replace the existing rusted clamps but I would really enjoy knowing more about the original tool used and to get one of the tools to include with the restored bike.

Thanks for your help.

Rob
IndianRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

hahaha...... that's a fascinating description. I would love to see more pics at some time.
I remember the side-valve Harley Servicars around as a kid, I did not know Indian made them as well.

Of course you are right, the small quantity produced means they were hand-made, without the benefit of standardized clips and fasteners, so home-made-looking clamps and insulators would be a natural byproduct. But I swear, I have cobbled-together brake line clamps that look exactly like this.

I guessed from the pic that the vehicle was from the 1930's, but I was trying to work out why there was no visible rear suspension. I guessed it was maybe an old Model T tractor conversion that were popular in the 1930's. ..... with hydraulic brakes added aftermarket.......

Please post some more pics if you get a chance.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars