Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
claude777tt
AF Newbie

Help in determining starter vs. ignition switch issue in 99 Intrigue

We purchased a used Intrigue with 120,000 miles on it in late March. We have had no issues with it until this morning.

This morning, the car failed to start. It turned over and seemed to be trying to start but the engine would not engage. Three tries later the car started. It then starter, slowly, two subsequent for times. At this point I drove it 35 miles to work. It appears to be driving fine - it does not stall or lose power and it is idling normally. This makes me thing the alternator is fine.

After pulling into the parking lot at work, I turned the car off. I then tried to see if it would start and I got nothing. No clicking, no turning over, no sound. The lights were bright and normal and the radio would run fine and the dash panel is lit normally.

I let the car sit for forty minutes and went out and it slowly started. Then I turned it off and started it again and it started like normal.

I will, of course, have the battery checked to see if that could be an issue (I doubt it) but I am at a loss for how to determine whether I should start by checking the ignition switch or starter (I would assume these are the two most likely culprits). I feel comfortable replacing a starter myself if that is the problem. Any insight would be helpful?
claude777tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
FishFind
One Hot Shot

Re: Help in determining starter vs. ignition switch issue in 99 Intrigue

I would guess the starter or a power wire going to the starter. You may also check the relays or fuse for the starter.

When it is not starting you can attach a wire from the POS battery tereminal turn the key to the on position and touch to where the POS wire connects to the starter. If the starter will still not go then I am sure this is your problem. Doing this test will bypass the ignition and the wires to the starter.
FishFind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

I then tried to see if it would start and I got nothing. No clicking, no turning over, no sound. The lights were bright and normal and the radio would run fine and the dash panel is lit normally.

Had bad battery cables do this to a couple cars I have owned.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
i_hate_cars38
Lost In The Darkness

check my post about compressor freeze up like said wires can do this so can a compressor freeze we thought and tried starter but it was ac compressor froze solid and not letting anything turn

look on battery and starter for green coreded wires but a wire brush and brush all connections connectors ends etc till everything shines then try again

The most difficult phase of life is not when no one understands you,
it is when you don't understand yourself.

«It's good to know that if I behave strangely enough, society will take full responsibility for me.»
i_hate_cars38 is offline   Reply With Quote