Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > A8 | S8 > '94 - '98
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 06:22 PM   #1
csieminski
AF Regular

What do you think of your 1st gen. A8's?

Hi, I have been an admirer of the A8 ever since its 1997 introduction (I was 14 then an didn't even own a car!) I have just purchased my second BMW, a 1990 535i--and in about two years, I'll probably sell it and get a car for $10-15K.

I've noticed that A8's seem to have heavy depreciation compared to their M-B and BMW counterparts , but that's good for me as a used car buyer.

1997-1998 A8's seem to already be falling into a very affordable price range, and I'm curious what you owners think of them. Thanks!
csieminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
EdgePerformance
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to EdgePerformance Send a message via MSN to EdgePerformance Send a message via Yahoo to EdgePerformance
Re: What do you think of your 1st gen. A8's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csieminski
Hi, I have been an admirer of the A8 ever since its 1997 introduction (I was 14 then an didn't even own a car!) I have just purchased my second BMW, a 1990 535i--and in about two years, I'll probably sell it and get a car for $10-15K.

I've noticed that A8's seem to have heavy depreciation compared to their M-B and BMW counterparts , but that's good for me as a used car buyer.

1997-1998 A8's seem to already be falling into a very affordable price range, and I'm curious what you owners think of them. Thanks!
I love our 1997 Audi A8 4.2L Quattro, but would recommend for the enthusiast to get the 98+ as they reworked some engine flaws, and also added Tiptronic which makes a nice little add on, although you can make a 97 A8 have tiptronic with a swap! Still for $10,000 you can't beat the car and we always get compliments and people staring all the time. Kind of funny when a 911 Turbo owner races you on the interstate and you don't lose too terribly bad in a car as big as the A8. Still wish the A8 had the extra 60hp that the S8 does and the lowered suspension like the S8 but those are easily remidied things.

Jared
EdgePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #3
csieminski
AF Regular

A8's are definitely classy cars! I was driving on I-95 a couple days ago and noticed a Racing Green Audi approaching behind me--initially I thought it was a '95-'97 A6, but it had xenon headlights and as it grew closer I realized it was an A8 4.2.

So few people know what special cars these are [and they sure are rare!], which I guess adds to their (snob?) appeal.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:28 AM   #4
EdgePerformance
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to EdgePerformance Send a message via MSN to EdgePerformance Send a message via Yahoo to EdgePerformance
Re: What do you think of your 1st gen. A8's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csieminski
A8's are definitely classy cars! I was driving on I-95 a couple days ago and noticed a Racing Green Audi approaching behind me--initially I thought it was a '95-'97 A6, but it had xenon headlights and as it grew closer I realized it was an A8 4.2.

So few people know what special cars these are [and they sure are rare!], which I guess adds to their (snob?) appeal.
True it does appeal to the snob in me, but I love the way the car effortlessly just climbs mountains at 100mph+ and decends mountains in rain or snow without effort nearly.

Jared
EdgePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
csieminski
AF Regular

I didn't mean that as a negative thing. Luxury cars are all about snob appeal....and confidence..and competence and performance..joy, appreciation of fine workmanship and innovative engineering....and safety and protection and comfort, a sanctuary from the outside world...

I like German luxury cars best, because I think they endeavor to attain the highest levels of perfection. Audi has done this for decades with little or no fanfare from the non-enthusiast majority (unlike BMW and Mercedes), and the A8 is a supreme example of a [relatively rare] treasure hidden from the "unwashed masses" by--their own ignorance? The feeling of owning one has got to be rewarding, even if most drivers can't tell it from a brick wall.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > A8 | S8 > '94 - '98