Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
stanwood
AF Newbie

New Compressor Clutch Slips

I replaced my A/C compressor because is was leaking around the pulley seal. When I replaced the A/C compressor, I also replaced the in-line filter, and accumulator.

The issue is that after the A/C runs for say 10 minutes or so the compressor clutch slips momentarily then spins fine for a few. Seems to get worse the longer the compressor is running.

The low-side pressure is around 30-40 psi. and mostly steady until the clutch slips then it starts heading up to around 50 psi or so.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
stanwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: New Compressor Clutch Slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwood View Post
I replaced my A/C compressor because is was leaking around the pulley seal. When I replaced the A/C compressor, I also replaced the in-line filter, and accumulator.

The issue is that after the A/C runs for say 10 minutes or so the compressor clutch slips momentarily then spins fine for a few. Seems to get worse the longer the compressor is running.

The low-side pressure is around 30-40 psi. and mostly steady until the clutch slips then it starts heading up to around 50 psi or so.

What is the high side pressure?

If it goes over 350 it could cause cutch to slip or belt to slip.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:

with this problem check the voltage at the clutch coil for 12 volts with a meter. could be you have a voltage drop.

If the voltage is good, then this may be the gap is too much. also the clutch coil coil could be defective.

it this is a rebuilt unit gap/coil could be the issue since this was not a problem before.

did you install the correct oil and amount. also just for you info when I replace compressors the filter/dryer/receiver assy is replaced. also a condensor flush is recommended.

if your lacking the proper amount of oil the compressor will heat up and start to drag [lack of lube]
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

New ,, Used,, or rebuilt compressor???
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
stanwood
AF Newbie

I don't have a gauge to check the high side pressure so I am not sure how high it is getting at this point.

I will check the voltage and I understand that the maximum amount of oil the system takes is 8 oz and I didn't want to over fill it so that is why I put 3 oz to start with.

The compressor is a rebuilt, but I won't be able to return it because I did the work myself.

I forgot to post the vehicle details too, 1997 Chevy Blazer, 4.3 about 153,000 miles.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Never heard of a DIY not being able to return a pump....what a bum vendor..

Now I really suspect poor quality...
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I don't have a gauge to check the high side pressure so I am not sure how high it is getting at this point.

I will check the voltage and I understand that the maximum amount of oil the system takes is 8 oz and I didn't want to over fill it so that is why I put 3 oz to start with.

The compressor is a rebuilt, but I won't be able to return it because I did the work myself.

I forgot to post the vehicle details too, 1997 Chevy Blazer, 4.3 about 153,000 miles.

I suspect that you do not have the proper amount of PAG oil.

when a compressor is replaced the system needs a flushing with ac flush material. then using an air compressor blow out the flush until the flush is clear and gone. next the filter dryer needs to be replaced and the orifice tube.

If this was not done , YOU DO NOT HAVE SALES RECIEPT TO PROVE THIS , then you are correct there is no warrantee .

It is possible that the supplier you used , does require a pro to do this but not the ones around my area.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:

If this is the original compressor then it is reasonable to assume that the system is with contamination , with normal component wear, also loss of oil etc.

how long did you place the vacuum pump on the ac before charging the system ??????????
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
stanwood
AF Newbie

I just added about another 3 or 4 oz of oil no change.
It is true this company does require a receipt for the items you mentioned. But I was hoping I wouldn't need to use the warranty.

I probably did get in over my head on this one, I did not vacuum pump the system at all. (just for clarification this is not the original compressor it is the refurb I bought a little over a week ago)

So here's my next question. Do you think the compressor is shot since vacuum or flush the system?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I just added about another 3 or 4 oz of oil no change.
It is true this company does require a receipt for the items you mentioned. But I was hoping I wouldn't need to use the warranty.

I probably did get in over my head on this one, I did not vacuum pump the system at all. (just for clarification this is not the original compressor it is the refurb I bought a little over a week ago)

So here's my next question. Do you think the compressor is shot since vacuum or flush the system?
the air in the system will cause high pressures. this could be the reason you get slipage. also this air will over time damage the compressor.

remove the charge and vacuum the system down . then recharge the system with the proper amount of r134. maybe a few ounces less.

check the gap between the clutch and the pulley faces should be about .020-.030 range in inches.. if this is off you will need a kent moore tool to adjust J 33013-b . this adjusts the clutch plate removes and installs this clutch plate..

hopefully it is just the air causing this problem.. keep vacuum pump on ac system for an hour. should have a 1.5 rating. 3.0 is best for auto ac system volumes but 1.5 in ok. the reason you need to vac this for an hour is because the compressor oil will be full of air. the oil will boil off the air and that takes some time. with the vac pump off and you have a gauge to measure the vac , it must hold steady if not you have a leak or air is still in the oil.
basicly you will need a guage manifold set to do this correctly.then you can by way of valves have the refrigerent enter the vacuumed system as this is going in the start up the engine /ac and start the charging .

don't want to vac the system disconnect the pump then get air in the system you just pumped..
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
stanwood (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

About all you need around here for a warranty is to show you bought an orifice tube or TXV.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote