Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
reen910
AF Newbie

a/c repair quote..am I being ripped off?

Hi-

I have a 2003, Pontiac Grand Prix SE.
I re-charged my a/c with R-134 about a month ago when my air was blowing warm. It stayed cold for a while and got warm ago, so I figured a leak. I took it to the local GM dealer and they claim my evaporator, compressor, and condensor all need to be replaced. They told me the condessor has ding marks from rocks, but it isn't actually leaking, but I should replace it too. I was given an estimate of $2500, and about fell out of my chair. When I asked if I could replace one or two now and wait on another part the guy told me my car was old and even if I replace this stuff, something else would go wrong. I have had general maintenace issues, but I expect to keep my car for several more years. I'm getting the feeling these guys are just trying to get me to buy a new car. These prices seem really high and I'm not sure why I have to replace a part just becasue it has ding marks form stones.

Any advice?
reen910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
jakegday
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jakegday Send a message via Yahoo to jakegday
Re: a/c repair quote..am I being ripped off?

if you go to a dealership, yes, you're pretty much going to get ripped off. go to a non-dealership repair shop for a quote
jakegday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Carwhiz
AF Regular

I would assume they installed freon dye into the system and ran system to detect any leaks. Ask the dealership to show you the leaks and prove all of the listed items need to be replaced. I do find it hard to believe they would replace the condensor for "rock chips" unless it was actually leaking dye. I've seen brand new cars come off transit trucks with rock chips in the condensor, so I feel they slightly overstated the repairs you need to get your a/c in working condition.
Carwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Carsrcool100
AF Regular

You should definitely keep your car for more years. I think if you fix that stuff it will work like a charm and you shouldnt have anymore problems. and was that $2500 everything together or just the condensor?
Carsrcool100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
carczar
AF Newbie

Like Carwhiz said, they probably ran dye through the system. Go buy a little black light flashlight and check to see where the leak is yourself. I had the same problem a couple of years ago and it was only leaking from the compressor. I think it was about $300 for a new one. I didn't have to pay for labor because I replaced it with the help of some friends I knew at a shop.
carczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Take the car to a shop that specializes in AC repair and get a second opinion. If the evaporator is bad then you are looking at a significant cost to change it. Used parts are available at most wrecking yards which will save you some significant money. The problem is the labor charges so a second opinion may save you a lot of money.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
a/c , compressor , condenser , evaporator
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix