Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
kenodee
AF Newbie

Angry 1984 c-4 blues

i have a 1984 corvette,when i jump it off it fires up in sec.,let it run 20min,or drives it 20-30 miles fine, when i shut it down nothing like no battery in the car.i replaced the starter,battery,distrubtor,wires,postive cable,and when i charge up the battery and let it sit in the car 2-3 days,something keep running it down.pulled all the fuses fine.put it back on the charger and it fires right on up. brain scratcher any where to point me?this is driving me crazy trying to track it down,thanks for any help. kenodee@aol.com
kenodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1984 c-4 blues

You can either use a DVOM or a 12 volt test light.
http://www.autopart.com/tools/toolsmain/tool/T_3023.htm
A test light is easier to use for this year vehicle. I disconnect the negative cable and install the light between the negative terminal and the ground wire.
If the bulb lights you have a drain on the system. Unplug each fuse one at a time until the light goes out. If this don't work unplug the fuel pump relay they can stick. An alternator can also ground out check this. External voltage regulators are a big cause of this type of problem. I think Ford used external in 1984 but I'm not certain about GM but I they used internal voltage regulators at least on pickups. Also check the relay for the computer system.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
kenodee
AF Newbie

hey thank you very much,i;am part time,shade tree,diy so called mech,this make sense to me.thanks, i will try it this week end when i;am off.but a little unsure when you say ,install the light between the negative terminal and the ground wire? i understand about the neg terminal from the battery,but about the ground wire????not sure,sorry any insight on this. thanks sorry i sound blank. thanks again.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

I mean the ground wire that attaches to the negative terminal. Disconnect this use test light clamp and clip on this wire. Touch the negative terminal with the test light tip. The draw will be between the terminal and ground wire.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Schrade
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenodee View Post
i have a 1984 corvette,when i jump it off it fires up in sec.,let it run 20min,or drives it 20-30 miles fine, when i shut it down nothing like no battery in the car.i replaced the starter,battery,distrubtor,wires,postive cable,and when i charge up the battery and let it sit in the car 2-3 days,something keep running it down.pulled all the fuses fine.put it back on the charger and it fires right on up. brain scratcher any where to point me?this is driving me crazy trying to track it down,thanks for any help. kenodee@aol.com
Why did you replace all those parts? Did they all test bad? Maybe keep replacin' some more parts. And don't forget to check the air freshener too. Stale? There's a ton of problems right there.

Seriously tho', do you have a multimeter? In today's world, you need one. Plug 'n' pray diagnostics is only for stupid rich people. Or stupid people who wanna' stay broke.

Put your multimeter on the terminals - NOT the clamps. Got 12V? Let's start there. Post back...
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
kenodee
AF Newbie

[quote=rhandwor;5928327]I mean the ground wire that attaches to the negative terminal. Disconnect this use te€st light clamp and clip on this wire. Touch the negative terminal with the test light tip. The draw will be between the terminal and ground wire.[/ hey the weather finally broke,hook up the test light,pull the fuse,they all stayed lit.had the alternator,starter,battery tested all good.voltage reg,good,don't know what else to do. thanks for your help,any other ideals out there.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

You have a drain on the system is the reason the light stays lite. Unplug the external regulator and check if this stops the drain. Next try the alternator disconnect this and check if the light goes out.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
kenodee
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbec1999 View Post
Why did you replace all those parts? Did they all test bad? Maybe keep replacin' some more parts. And don't forget to check the air freshener too. Stale? There's a ton of problems right there.

Seriously tho', do you have a multimeter? In today's world, you need one. Plug 'n' pray diagnostics is only for stupid rich people. Or stupid people who wanna' stay broke.

Put your multimeter on the terminals - NOT the clamps. Got 12V? Let's start there. Post back...
thanks for the vote of confidence,everyone's not at your level at this time in life,but serious any and all help,is welcome.the mulitimeter is at 12v. what would you try next. no all of the parts i replaced were not bad,just the pull and pray routine. not stupid nor wanna stay broke,thats why i;am on here looking for help, thanks.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Just keep disconnecting items until the test light shuts off. Example as all fuses were pulled. External voltage regulator,alternator,ignition switch, and look for a bare wire going these items. Look for a burned fuseable link by the starter.
Surely you will find it in these areas. The most common areas are external voltage regulator and alternator.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
rolfemayor
AF Newbie

I know what you mean, mine drives me nuts with overheating and then won't run. However, try something simple like is the electric radio antina runing all the time. Mine did that for a while until I figured out to unplug it. Just a thought.
rolfemayor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1984 c-4 blues
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette