Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

AF Super Seven Group Build!

As any of you who have been following the one design group build thread know, we're starting the first ever single kit non-contest group build on AF. We're building Tamiya's Lotus Super Seven kit (kit# 24046). This build is open to everyone, so all are welcome to join in!

Rules:

1. Everyone starts with the same kit. Do whatever you want with it.
2. The due date is 3/21/07. We'll have a combined completed thread in the gallery to show everyone's builds.
3. Have fun.

If you have thoughts/questions/concerns etc. about the group build, bring them up in the original group build thread.

If you have thoughts, questions or ideas about the kit, the car itself, have references or inspiration pics to share, want guidance on upgrades/wheels/engines, want to talk about what you're planning for your build or post a link to your build thread, please post it here!

Here's some inspiration for ya:

Lotus 7 cutaway- this is the configuration of the stock Tamiya kit (Except the kit is right hand drive. Feel free to convert it to LHD!).

7 Gymkhana video- The Super 7 is a spectacular car for gymkhana/autocross type events. This vid will show you why. I had to open it in IE, couldn't get it to work in FF.

I'm still planning my 7. I'm going to convert it from wing fender to cycle fender, change the wheels, give it a serious brake job, and tweak the engine a bit. I've been considering replacing the engine with the 2L inline 4 from Tamiya's BMW 320i kit- but I'm still not firm on that. The kit's stock Cosworth is cute, very well done, and seems to have alot of detailing potential. But I would also love to put in a Zetec if I could find a suitable one.

Anyone got some other cool engine options/ideas they're considering?

Question- those 8 spoke wheels that 7's are often seen on are 13" Panasports? I've long assumed they were Watanabe's. Anyone know of a decent set of Panasports for the 7? Fujimi makes a set, but they look to have studs along the rims, and pics I've seen of 7's don't have them.

So what are you planning for your 7?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
fwdfreak
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to fwdfreak
Re: AF Super Seven Group Build!

I'm definetly in, since i've sort of built this one before!
Cycle fenders, not sure how to do them tho, bigger brakes, a rollbar, extra lights behind the grillie and bucketseats. I hope I can manage that
Old 07-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

Cool I have this kit in the stash. Guess I'll have to start it and join in on the fun.

mikemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
blubaja
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to blubaja Send a message via MSN to blubaja Send a message via Yahoo to blubaja

Wow. I guess I can walk right into this one. I was just resuming work on my Cat. Good luck to all in your builds
blubaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
AmazonSprite
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR
The kit's stock Cosworth is cute, very well done, and seems to have alot of detailing potential. But I would also love to put in a Zetec if I could find a suitable one.

Anyone got some other cool engine options/ideas they're considering?

Question- those 8 spoke wheels that 7's are often seen on are 13" Panasports? I've long assumed they were Watanabe's. Anyone know of a decent set of Panasports for the 7? Fujimi makes a set, but they look to have studs along the rims, and pics I've seen of 7's don't have them.
The 'Cosworth' in the kit & as shown in the cutaway is an early Ford Kent (otherwise known as the pre crossflow, as opposed to the later Crossflow, which had an altered cylinderhead with the carbs on the otherside) that has been tuned by Cosworth. I've had the pleasure of decoking one.....

The 8 spoke wheels are almost certainly Minilites, the original wheel of this design.

As for engines, I have a 1:24 Tamiya Jag 3.8 in the spares box - I wonder if that will fit?

'67 Amazon 122S B20 o/d Estate & '61 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc
AmazonSprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
rsxse240
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rsxse240

well as for power, as many of you on here are into nissans, how about a RB25, 0r 26? but for you honda guys the motor from the S2K would go right nicely in there, and slap a turbo on it. OOOO OOOO how about a boxer motor from a STI kit? if I can get in on this I'd probably like to see if I could build a coupe out of it, much like the old chevy powered cheetah or something along those lines.

you are indeed right about this car having alot of potential. could go street rod style, or open wheel race, custom, wow I never thought about this kit untill now. I'll have to find one and get in on this.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
deltableh
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to deltableh Send a message via AIM to deltableh Send a message via MSN to deltableh Send a message via Yahoo to deltableh Send a message via Skype™ to deltableh

I'm planning on giving mine a bit of a British "twist" so to speak. I already have a color and upholstery picked out. I'll probably rim it, and throw on a roll-bar/cage.

Other than that, I have no idea.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
SHIFT_drift
AF Enthusiast

ooooohhhh... i just came up with an idea for it... kinda inspired from wheelin7r's rat syle vw bus.. a rat rod style 7... oh i can see it now... im just hoping i can do it well... but we'll just have to see...
complete:hasegawa.toyota.celica.1600gt
complete:fujimi.mazda.rx-7.fd3s
complete:revell.datsun.510.chop.top
in progress:57.chrysler.300c.convertible.slammed
next:tamiya.nissan.skyline.2000.gt-r
SHIFT_drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:46 AM   #9
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakmech

Well ive got a 300z V6 Twin Turbo ive been neglecting..... lets see if it fits! Nice choice Andy as i think we all have one of these in the stash. Dont count me out but dont count me in... too many builds planned right now But i think SC has this comp in the bag.

freakmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:42 AM   #10
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

I am full of enthusiasm and void of ideas ((

Does OTB qualify for entry?

Didn't the "Prisoner" drive one of these in the 60s or 70s TV show? Have to check that out on google. Maybe slap a big Number Six on the hood...? Have big bubble in a Diorama...? Does anyone even know what I am talking about...?

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:51 AM   #11
AmazonSprite
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100
I am full of enthusiasm and void of ideas ((

Does OTB qualify for entry?

Didn't the "Prisoner" drive one of these in the 60s or 70s TV show? Have to check that out on google. Maybe slap a big Number Six on the hood...? Have big bubble in a Diorama...? Does anyone even know what I am talking about...?
I must admit that I will probably be doing an stock build too.....

The Prisoner did indeed drive one - how about using a Tamiya original Mini as the donor for a scratchbuilt Mini Moke to go with it?

Old 07-23-2006, 06:11 AM   #12
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

How wierd is that?!?! This is the second tome in a week the Moke has been through my keyboard!

Is this a sign?

Or is it the same Moke, by any chance?

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:28 AM   #13
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

I'm in; I got the kit a few years back to build for a "you buy it here/show receipt with model" in-store contest and then didn't build it But hey, the receipt with tax showed I only spent a bit over $10 and it was a pricey store.

I'll keep mine pretty simple, along the lines of a vintage racer which is one of the 2 building options inside the kit.

It will be interesting to see what engines you guys stuff under that tiny hood; the engine compartment is really narrow. That Subaru boxer someone mentioned would be a great idea if it were transverse

Anyone going to stuff a 12A or 13B under there ?
Old 07-23-2006, 06:40 AM   #14
AmazonSprite
AF Regular

There is of course the mighty BMC A Series engine*, as fitted to some early 7s

*Available in Tamiya Mini Coopers, but needs a new sump & gearbox for rear drive. I have already converted one to fit in a Gunze Sangyo AH Sprite, so it's not tricky!

And I've just bought my 7 on eBay - should arrive next week

Old 07-23-2006, 07:19 AM   #15
Thegs
AF Newbie

Ok, I have this kit laying around here, so I guess I will join. I have a nice idea for turbo setup I saw a while ago . When can we start our progress thread?

Gerwin

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling