Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: WRX or RSX type S ???
WRX 75 84.27%
RSX type S 14 15.73%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 05:53 AM   #76
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hybridsol
Re: Re: Re: Rice

Quote:
Originally posted by lloyd_nickens

Kinda OT, But how would you explain the SR series engine? It has a relatively high redline and it also puts out a large amount of torque (per engine displacement). I think it is possible to have the best of both worlds, it is emmisions that hampers...

I would probably take the RSX. It has a higher resell value.....
You can have a high RPM and still lack high end. Ok let me explain, a shorter rod is going to increase the piston speed. A long rod is going to slow the piston speed, which can allow more air and fuel into the cylinder. The short-rod set up is going to pick up a lot more power on the top-end, due to the piston speed. The longer stroke will start running out of horsepower at a certain rpm, while torque runs out at lets say 5-6 grand, then horsepower takes over until it runs out. Ok short stroke is based on the same theory, but when horsepower takes over, it will continue to produce more power in the high range. So The RPM can be raised to say 9,5 but you will still be losing power in your high rpm. Let me add that I am a huge fan of nissan engineering, as many ppl on this forum know I own an SE Max. But for the most part SR's do lack torque take the sr20de, 143hp at 6400rpm and it redlines out at around 7000 rpm. Its maximum torque is 189Nm at 4800 rpm. It is possible to have a well rounded engine but in most cases it is better to go to one extreme or the other. Now the QR25 is an example of a nissan that was built on a torquer aproach. The QR25 was designed for power and torque through a wide powerband while reducing reciprocating weight and minimizing friction. lightweight, thin internals are used in to achieve this. Unfortunately, they aren't strong enough to handle high rpm running. At 6900 rpm, the QR's piston speed is the equivalent to about 8000 rpm on the SR.
Hope I helped out a little, and my apolagies for the late response I've been gone for quite some time.
PS- the b18's all weigh around 320lbs
hybridsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 05:39 AM   #77
lloyd_nickens
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rice

Quote:
Originally posted by hybridsol
You can have a high RPM and still lack high end. Ok let me explain, a shorter rod is going to increase the piston speed. A long rod is going to slow the piston speed, which can allow more air and fuel into the cylinder. The short-rod set up is going to pick up a lot more power on the top-end, due to the piston speed. The longer stroke will start running out of horsepower at a certain rpm, while torque runs out at lets say 5-6 grand, then horsepower takes over until it runs out. Ok short stroke is based on the same theory, but when horsepower takes over, it will continue to produce more power in the high range. So The RPM can be raised to say 9,5 but you will still be losing power in your high rpm. Let me add that I am a huge fan of nissan engineering, as many ppl on this forum know I own an SE Max. But for the most part SR's do lack torque take the sr20de, 143hp at 6400rpm and it redlines out at around 7000 rpm. Its maximum torque is 189Nm at 4800 rpm. It is possible to have a well rounded engine but in most cases it is better to go to one extreme or the other. Now the QR25 is an example of a nissan that was built on a torquer aproach. The QR25 was designed for power and torque through a wide powerband while reducing reciprocating weight and minimizing friction. lightweight, thin internals are used in to achieve this. Unfortunately, they aren't strong enough to handle high rpm running. At 6900 rpm, the QR's piston speed is the equivalent to about 8000 rpm on the SR.
Hope I helped out a little, and my apolagies for the late response I've been gone for quite some time.
PS- the b18's all weigh around 320lbs
The QR looks to be more built for N/A use than the SR does. The rotating bits in the SR are alot larger because the SR was designed for High Power applications. If I am not mistaken the vet variant has more power than the QR25 does. And lets not even look at the turbocharged version. Like I said before it is emissions that kill both Honda and Nissan. Honda has always had an impressive N/A offering, whereas Nissan has just figured out (for the most part) that you just can't slap a turbocharger on things and call it a day.

"If You Can Breathe, Turn The Music Up."
lloyd_nickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:34 AM   #78
DblOvrhedCamron
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DblOvrhedCamron Send a message via Yahoo to DblOvrhedCamron
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rice

Quote:

The QR looks to be more built for N/A use than the SR does. The rotating bits in the SR are alot larger because the SR was designed for High Power applications. If I am not mistaken the vet variant has more power than the QR25 does. And lets not even look at the turbocharged version. Like I said before it is emissions that kill both Honda and Nissan. Honda has always had an impressive N/A offering, whereas Nissan has just figured out (for the most part) that you just can't slap a turbocharger on things and call it a day.
ok I'm not shure what the hell the "vet varient" is? But I assume your reffering to the SR yes you are correct it has a higher power output, because the engine was not designed for torque, its built on the same principal as honda is high rev. You said that the SR had a "large amount of torque per engine displacement" hybridsol showed it didint and it uses the same system as honda. When you add torque you lose HP. (read above)
Quote:

Idea!! (MORE LIKE SACRILAGE): Take a ITR and put an SR20DET in it... put about 450 horses through it... see how long it takes for everyone to not want to mess with you...
the sr20det without a T25 is not going to produce the 195hp the b18c5 (stock ITR motor will) BTW - this is the same motor hybridsol has laying in his engine bay and with a much smaller turbo he lays 355hp. My turbo's a bit bigger, and i'm only using a b18c1 motor and he can't touch me in his del sol. No offense CJ.

DblOvrhedCamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 11:55 PM   #79
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlOOe46
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rice

Quote:
Originally posted by DblOvrhedCamron

the sr20det without a T25 is not going to produce the 195hp the b18c5 (stock ITR motor will) BTW - this is the same motor hybridsol has laying in his engine bay and with a much smaller turbo he lays 355hp. My turbo's a bit bigger, and i'm only using a b18c1 motor and he can't touch me in his del sol. No offense CJ.
355 hp to the ground?

how much r u layin down to the ground? if u dont mind my askin . . . :licker:
Old 04-04-2003, 03:12 PM   #80
DblOvrhedCamron
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DblOvrhedCamron Send a message via Yahoo to DblOvrhedCamron
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rice

Quote:
Originally posted by BlOOe46

355 hp to the ground?

how much r u layin down to the ground? if u dont mind my askin . . . :licker:
355hp @270lbs is what hybridsol's car was dyno'd at.

Old 04-05-2003, 07:10 PM   #81
lloyd_nickens
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rice

Quote:

uh a stock det (sr20det) produces about 205-210 hp at the flywheel and 200 pound/feet of torque. a ve/vet is the variable timing version of the sr20. the ve puts out the same amount of hp as the det but not as much torque. and the vet puts out IIRC about 250+ hp but not sure on torque.

and to get 355 hp just drop in a T3/4 hybrid and turn the boost knob up (not really but you get the point)

Old 04-05-2003, 10:36 PM   #82
DblOvrhedCamron
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rice

Quote:

uh a stock det (sr20det) produces about 205-210 hp at the flywheel and 200 pound/feet of torque. a ve/vet is the variable timing version of the sr20. the ve puts out the same amount of hp as the det but not as much torque. and the vet puts out IIRC about 250+ hp but not sure on torque.

and to get 355 hp just drop in a T3/4 hybrid and turn the boost knob up (not really but you get the point)
.......did you even read what I typed? Tell me genius, what is the size of the turbo on the sr20det? I assume were talking about the S15 Silvia Spec-R (and by the way its VVT not vet) 2.0l VVT DOHC I-4 that car is equipped with a T-28 the Spec-S S15 Silvia (the non-turbo version) has 163hp..... And the S15 has 247hp. The S13 Silvia has 202 hp with a T25. Now the Type R Integra has 195 hp non-turbo, put a t25 on that motor and see if the number's match up. By the way VVT is a copy of VTEC.

its a T-3 and his car is heavily worked, slightly more complicated than just dropping in a turbo and turning up the boost.

Old 04-05-2003, 11:13 PM   #83
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlOOe46
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rice

Quote:

355hp @270lbs is what hybridsol's car was dyno'd at.
lol
i asked what u were dynoing

or is that a secret?
Old 04-07-2003, 10:29 AM   #84
lloyd_nickens
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rice

Quote:

.......did you even read what I typed? Tell me genius, what is the size of the turbo on the sr20det? I assume were talking about the S15 Silvia Spec-R (and by the way its VVT not vet) 2.0l VVT DOHC I-4 that car is equipped with a T-28 the Spec-S S15 Silvia (the non-turbo version) has 163hp..... And the S15 has 247hp. The S13 Silvia has 202 hp with a T25. Now the Type R Integra has 195 hp non-turbo, put a t25 on that motor and see if the number's match up. By the way VVT is a copy of VTEC.

its a T-3 and his car is heavily worked, slightly more complicated than just dropping in a turbo and turning up the boost.
http://www.freshalloy.com/cars/nissa...n_engines.html <--Got my info from there...

oh my bad, i did misread what you wrote. but then it wouldn't be called a det if it didn't have the turbo now would it? I am not trying to say one manufacturer is better than the other I am just saying that both honda and nissan are good at their respective fields (honda: n/a nissan: turbo). And the technology is called VVL, the engine designation is SR20VET...

The link I just posted should be sufficient in information for all the engine types in the nissan family.

I know that dropping in a T3 is a lil harder than I made it out to be... but I have read it to be easier to do for the SR than it is for SOME honda engines (or at least that is how I interpret my reading...)

So how much power would a bone stock ITR motor put out with a T25 added to it? And this is without any other work done to the engine... or is it not possible?

My knowledge on Honda engines isn't as deep as you guy's but I would like to learn...

Old 04-12-2003, 04:33 PM   #85
DblOvrhedCamron
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rice

Quote:

http://www.freshalloy.com/cars/nissa...n_engines.html <--Got my info from there...

oh my bad, i did misread what you wrote. but then it wouldn't be called a det if it didn't have the turbo now would it? I am not trying to say one manufacturer is better than the other I am just saying that both honda and nissan are good at their respective fields (honda: n/a nissan: turbo). And the technology is called VVL, the engine designation is SR20VET...

So how much power would a bone stock ITR motor put out with a T25 added to it? And this is without any other work done to the engine... or is it not possible?

My knowledge on Honda engines isn't as deep as you guy's but I would like to learn...
.....the sr20vet is a nissan suv in japan called the x-trail, and I'm told from a knowledgeable sorsce that nissan's valve timing control sys. is designated VTC on the turbocharged silvia or the sr20det, but your right they do use vvl on the x-trail. I'm not saying one manufacturer is better than the other either, Nissan and honda I would think are in somewhat of the same catagory.

you would have to do internal work with a turbo that size (actually most turbo's) SR20DET's come ready to handle a tubro due to the fact they are equipped with one. As for the power output...... good question It would depend upon the boost among other things.... I'll try to figure out a comparison.

Old 04-15-2003, 06:37 AM   #86
lloyd_nickens
AF Enthusiast

sweet...

yeah i did find out that the rwd sr20's have vtc while the fwd sr20's have vvl. the x-trail is primarily fwd then awd....

too bad it's engine is too new/ too expensive cause i'd like one....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons