Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > Vue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
Kirk Franks
AF Newbie

Water leak: Roof rack, or windshield (not sunroof)

Hi All. Hope there are some vue owners left to answer my question.
This is for 04 saturn vue base with 3.5l engine and sunroof.

Problem is a water leak on passenger side A pillar under the plastic trim. With trim removed I can see that the water is leaking from between two layers of metal basically on the side of the windshield about 2 inches from the top. Photo shows where the leak is.

History and Diagnosis:
So I have had problems in past with the sunroof drains becoming detached and leaking into the cabin down the A pillars and into foot wells. This is well documented problem and I use the super glue and zip ties to fix. Daughter had trouble again this spring away at college. I have fixed the sunroof drains but still have another leak (much smaller/slower)

Methods to test the sunroof is not the problem include duct tape around the perimeter of the sunroof to exclude water while running the hose. Also checking with the headliner loose enough to confirm that the drains were not the issue. I also did same test without the duct tape to confirm the drain fix was working with the headliner loose to see everything.

I did have the windshield replaced couple years ago. I took the vue to that shop with the duck tape in place to have them check that the windshield seal was OK. He tells me that it is not the windshield and that the leak may be from the roof rack. He said this was based on where it was leaking from and because that they could see that the windshield was in the channel properly (not quite the words he used.)

So I pulled off the front cross rail and the front passenger side rail and used silicone caulk to bed around the bolt holes and under the bolt heads. I did not use silicone around the perimeter of the black plastic roof rack trim. It did look like someone had done that in the past, but it was sloppy enough that I suspect it was the previous owner and not factory or dealer.

It is still leaking

So my questions:
1. does this sound like roof rack leak?
2. do I rule out the windshield?
3. is it possible that it is leaking from the rear half of the roof rack rail and still running forward to the A pillar?
4. does anyone know proper procedure to seal the roof rack rails/fasteners?

I am not opposed to removing all the rails and trim and doing more thorough job of sealing if i can get a better procedure.

Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vue leak s.jpg (57.3 KB, 2 views)
Kirk Franks is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
leak , rack , roof , sunroof
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > Vue