Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
eddie39
AF Newbie

Chevy vs Ford: What do you like better and why?

In general what brand do you like better and why
eddie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: Chevy vs Ford: What do you like better and why?

Honda.....

You have to love the Small Block Chev, its a great engine, and the Corvette is an awesome car.
Chev also have the best RWD platform, although Ford does have access to the Australian Falcon platform.

However, in the last 10 years GM has gone bust and been bailed out. They have made some very average cars even more average and have developed nothing in terms of new technology.

Ford got themselves in the shit, but got themselves out of it.
They have also developed some totally new 4cyl, V6 and V8 engines in the last 10 years. Engines that make the Chev equivalents looks very dated.
Copytech99 (12-08-2017)
Old 09-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af

For the longest time, I used to be a staunch Chevy supporter.

I knew all the acronyms for bashing on Ford and knew that in most cases, they were justified based on experiences I had with my father - who is a mechanic - fixing Ford vehicles.

For a long time, Ford was just unimpressive to me with their styling and their mechanics. Their trucks (the base models, not the Diesels made by International) were under-powered and unde-rtorqued with the most bland interior you could find. Their cars were ugly and and suffered the same problems as their truck counterparts. Even the mustangs, save for the high-performance models, were underwhelming.

However, lately I'm feeling more drawn to Ford than I am GM/Chevy. This is primarily because of what Moppie eluded to: They've made strides to get better, put out better products and market their vehicles. They are employing progressive technology and showing refinement of areas that they used to struggle with.

Meanwhile, Chevy has the Cruze and the Volt. And.... that's about it.

Realistically, I would have enjoyed seeing Chevy build on their more successful platforms instead of trying to retool them.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
knightjp
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigz View Post
For the longest time, I used to be a staunch Chevy supporter.

I knew all the acronyms for bashing on Ford and knew that in most cases, they were justified based on experiences I had with my father - who is a mechanic - fixing Ford vehicles.
Did you know FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily... that was one of the cleverest ones I've heard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigz View Post
For a long time, Ford was just unimpressive to me with their styling and their mechanics. Their trucks (the base models, not the Diesels made by International) were under-powered and unde-rtorqued with the most bland interior you could find. Their cars were ugly and and suffered the same problems as their truck counterparts. Even the mustangs, save for the high-performance models, were underwhelming.

However, lately I'm feeling more drawn to Ford than I am GM/Chevy. This is primarily because of what Moppie eluded to: They've made strides to get better, put out better products and market their vehicles. They are employing progressive technology and showing refinement of areas that they used to struggle with.

Meanwhile, Chevy has the Cruze and the Volt. And.... that's about it.

Realistically, I would have enjoyed seeing Chevy build on their more successful platforms instead of trying to retool them.
I would have to disagree with you here... Ford did make some interesting cars and did make really good engines. No doubt there were problems and stuff but most Ford fans would argue that GM customers had issues with some of their cars / trucks too... Which would make both sides equal. However the small block chevy engine did gain a lot of respect for being a cheap and easy engine to work with and was a fav among hot rodders on a tight budget; who even put them into their old Fords.
That said, I used to be a GM guy. Researched online and found that Ford too had remarkable engines, including the BOSS 429; which finding an original is about impossible.
Now I'm a fan of all great engines... SBC, BOSS and the HEMI.
I do agree that Ford has made leaps in implementing R&D where GM has only got concepts to show for and they didn't have to sell an Amercian brand to the Chinese to help themselves get out of debt.
I admit that Ford did a similar thing in selling a Jaguar to an Indian firm, but it worked out well for Jaguar in the end. The British are still in control of the engineering and design and they are building some awesome cars.... But have you seen any new Hummer models after the Chinese took over???
Kinda makes a non-blinged out H2 a classic in 5 years.

If you want an answer of Chevy vs Ford and which one I would choose, I would choose Ford. But I wouldn't rule out a Chevy Camaro from my dream list..
Old 11-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
fordforlife778
AF Newbie

You all say dodge and Chevy can build trucks. But all of your trucks are from 1995 or newer. My 28 year old 1983 ford f-250 will outlast any chevy or dodge and i'd be more than happy to tow your cute little wanna be truck to the mechanic the next time your chevy or dodge breaks. Ford builds the best trucks. They always have and they always will. Ford is the only company i know of that build pickup trucks
fordforlife778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
DMS49
AF Newbie

I worked for a GM dealer for twelve years, many years ago. We had many loyal GM car customers who would never drive a Ford car, but wouldn't drive anything but a Ford truck. They would buy a new Buick from us, then drive across town to buy an F-150. I agreed with them, but I always liked Ford cars too.
Fast forward to today, and while I don't have any particular brand loyalty, Ford would be # 1 in my search for a new car OR truck.
David
DMS49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
SKp4nda420
AF Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to SKp4nda420

Hey guys im still a newbie here, just wanted to know what "gm" stands for or what it means,

also i would have to go with chev, if not dodge
ford just never seemed to impress me, the only thing that gets my attention is the mustang and im pretty sure a comaro can beat its ass
SKp4nda420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
dizzle1
AF Regular

I like Chevy LSX engines and the new V8's from ford in the mustangs and the old Cobra DOHC 4.6 iron block SC with a IRS = great car. I like Corvette's but they are too common but they are great for 2 traveling and for doing small to medium errands with power and mpg. Other than the Corvette the only LSX powered car that came close to my taste was a pontiac G8 GT/GXP don't like anything else the new caprice 9C1 looks so bland its more like the impala in and out than a G8, I like the Tahoes but just see no need for it.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Lubeman
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordforlife778 View Post
You all say dodge and Chevy can build trucks. But all of your trucks are from 1995 or newer. My 28 year old 1983 ford f-250 will outlast any chevy or dodge and i'd be more than happy to tow your cute little wanna be truck to the mechanic the next time your chevy or dodge breaks. Ford builds the best trucks. They always have and they always will. Ford is the only company i know of that build pickup trucks
WHAT?! You need to do some more research. Several years ago I [unintentionally] had my 1989 GMC 1500 loaded with 2,300 pounds of gravel for landscaping. In spite of that I never had any problems with it before, then or since.
Lubeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
imakedacookies
AF Regular

I'd take my old 454 Chevy over any ford if I didn't need to get better mileage than a tank. Overall ford and Chevy both have pros and cons. From my expirence fords got the power but they have the problems. Chevy seems to be built a little stronger and the base models are nicer than fords. When I say stronger I mean suspension and the frame, not the engine. If you are going to get a daily driver I would say go Chevy but if you need something for work or just want extra power that's not gonna kill you to fix go ford.
imakedacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Autotransport1
AF Newbie

Ford is much better.
Ford = king of recalls, rollovers and spontaneous combustion.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #12
manish2013
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Chevy vs Ford: What do you like better and why?

I am from India and owns Chey Aveo while my friend has Ford Fiesta. After covering 50K my Aveo has started giving problems while Fiesta even after clocking 50K+ is still going strong. Another good performer here is Honda. Hope it helps
manish2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
rabidkhan012002
AF Newbie

Many thanks for your important post. I would like to suggest that Please keep continue it more and more. I will always visit this site regularly.

rabidkhan012002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
AlexGopson
AF Newbie

Personally I'm more of a Ford guy. Chevy is starting to make better cars again, but they've still got a pretty bland lineup, there's just nothing special there. The Corvette is as awesome as ever, but for the most part they haven't made any cars that really spark my interest in years. In addition, they're interiors from the late 90s through around 2010 sucked. They looked incredibly cheap, some of the worst interiors on the market if you ask me (stock anyway).

Ford on the other hand, they've got the Focus ST (or RS), which is one of, if not my favorite hot hatch on the market right now. In addition, the redesigned Ford Fusion is now the best-looking mid-size sedan on the market right now, that thing is beautiful and almost looks like an Aston Martin from the front.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
dizzle1
AF Regular

The only good cars G.M offers in the U.S for 2013 is

Chevy Malibu
Chevy Corvette
Cadillac ATS
Cadillac CTS
Chevy Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade
Chevy Avalanche/Escalade EXT
Chevy Silverado/Sierra
Chevy Express Van/Savana

And their whole lineup consists of just 26 vehicles, if you choose 1 of each car model, and only 1 for every vehicle that shares the same platform with another brand under G.M

Last edited by dizzle1; 03-08-2013 at 10:13 AM.
dizzle1 is offline   Reply With Quote