Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Skylark
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
Tom_SF
Buick Owner

Airbag Readiness Light/Horn Won't Work

1995 Buick Skylark. 147,000 miles. 3.1 V6.

I've looked this problem on the internet but I haven't come up with a definitive answer.

I honked my horn once and I noticed the sound very rapidly fade out. After that the horn didn't work at all.

I also noticed that the "Airbag Readiness Light" would NOT start flashing when I would start the car, as it's supposed to do.

Fuses are OK. I hear clicking when I try to sound the horn so I know the relay is OK. Since the airbag readiness light doesn't come on when I start the car, I don't think it's the horn itself either.

I've only read some stories about the problem being with the airbag and that the replacement parts aren't available anymore.

I've never had a problem like this. Any ideas?
Tom_SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Airbag Readiness Light/Horn Won't Work

As for the horn, you can't rule out the relay....could be the contacts.....

I would disconnect the harness to the horn(s), and attach a test light to the harness and a good ground.....now hit the horn pad and see if the test light lights......if it does, you have a bad ground connection at the horn, or a bad horn.....If no power, start with a new relay(you say it is clicking).....

As for the air bag, you should have the codes read on this vehicle....problem is, it's a '95 which requires a special scan tool, because '95 was a transitiion year between OBDI and OBDII......and the scan tool must be capable of reading "B" codes.....

Your SIR light does not flash? Is it on solid? Is it completely off? If on solid and stays on, you need the code read....but chances are you won't be able to read them, if there is an SDM(sensing diagnostic module) problem.....I think the SDM is under the passenger seat......if you have a water leak under the carpet, your SDM, or the harness to it could be corroded, and the SDM/harness has to be checked out....

All that being said, Air bag systems should be checked out and repaired by the pros.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Tom_SF
Buick Owner

After the horn stopped working, the Airbag Readiness Light doesn't come on at all. I can't find exactly where the relay is located.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I think the horn is located in the "convenience center", which is anything but convenient....believe it is tucked up under the dash, under the driver's side towards the door......remove the hush panel on the driver's side, get your head up there, and listen for clicks as you hit the pad.....it is such a pain to get to that I would check for power at the horn(s) first....
Old 02-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
Tom_SF
Buick Owner

When I started the car in the dark, I noticed the Airbag Readiness Light does come on but it's very faint compared to when it was working OK. Still, all I get when I use the horn is clicking from the relay.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

well, the fact you get clicking means, your horn pad switch is ok, and the wiring down the steering column is ok....as I said, you either have a bad relay, or bad horn or ground/connection at the horn.....

If you can hear the relay click, remove the hush panel from under the driver's side of the instrument panel....with a light get your head up under there, and hit you horn pad and listen for the clicking relay.....if you see a relay under there, it should be inserted in a box along with your flasher....this is the convenience center.....put your finger on the relay, and "feel" it click when you hit the horn pad.....you can try to replace the relay and see what happens....or you find the horn, disconnect it(single wire, usually) and attach a test light to the harness and a good ground and hit the horn button....if the test light lights, you need a horn....if it doesn't try a relay....if it still doesn't light, you have an open circuit.....

To get to the horns, you usually have to remove the inside plastic splash shield in the wheel well, towards the front fender(7 or 8mm screws)......

If you see the SIR bulb flash, but not brightly, could be the bulb or the contacts in the cluster.....
Old 02-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
Tom_SF
Buick Owner

OK, my horn just started working again right out of the blue. The Air Bag Readiness Light comes on as it's supposed to but it's very faint. I can only see it if it's pitch dark outside.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
airbag , horn , light
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Skylark