Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 12:22 PM   #1
SucRover
AF Newbie

Legal Class Action Suspension Failure Poll

A few months ago my wife was driving our 2000 Range Rover SE and the EAS system failed while she was driving it on the Interstate going 70 mph.
She lost control and hit a guardrail and was injured.
We asking people to help us in taking a poll with those who own are have bought Range Rover between 1995 and 2003 that have experienced EAS suspension problems that have contributed to accidents.
From our pleminary research it is quite apparent to us that Range Rover has been aware of this dangerous problem and have turned their heads from what we have found. We are galvanizing a group who feel a national recall should be issued by Range Rover. We are summiting this information to various transportation legal organizations and consumer affairs groups. Your help would be appreaciated.

We would like to ask people to give us a quick sample poll on the following;
1. When did you purchase the vehicle?
2. How many miles were on the vehcile when you noticed the first problem with EAS?
3. Can you estimate how much money you have spent on the system and were you pleased with the results of the repair?
4. When the EAS system failed did it result in an accident envolving another vehicle?
5. How many times has the system failed since you owned the vehicle?
6. Have you replaced the factory EAS with an aftermarket repair solution (Springs)?

Your imput would be appreacited.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:57 AM   #2
AZPowerStroke
AF Newbie

Re: Legal Class Action Suspension Failure Poll

It's funny you mention this. I am currently looking for replacement EAS parts for my girlfriend's Range Rover. The stealership wanted $2400 to replace both front air shocks, the EAS Valve block, and compressor. Her's started acting up about 4 months ago. Then two weeks ago it totally went out. The car is a 96 and has just over 75,000 miles on it. Luckily she wasn't involved in an accident. I think this is the first time she has had any problems with the EAS. She did buy the car used but I don't know what the mileage was. If you need anything else let me know. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
Corry M
AF Newbie

Wink Don't fix Convert

Don't wast time replacing that non-dependable suspension, I just converted mine to spring and the peace of mind is very satisfactory. Nor do I feel any diference in the ride. Not to mention it can be done for a lot less go to rangerovers.net and look at coil spring conversion it shows places that sell the kit. Or type in RR coil spring conversion and do some price comparison then convert.

Corry M.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:33 AM   #4
p38arover
AF Newbie

Perhaps the problem was with the drivr. Unless the suspension failed catastrophically I can't see how she lost control. The suspension merely lowering to the bump stops wouldn't cause it.

Ron
Old 04-14-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
69legal
AF Newbie

Spring conversion Range Rover

OK - here's the deal on the spring conversion kit for Range Rovers. Just do it. I did, and it has made my 1996 Range Rover drive better, smoother, safer, and more enjoyable. For the most part you lose only the ability to raise the height. I was stuck once in the sand, and the extra height adjustment was nice. However, the improved ride quality, handling, and control (get the Bilsteins) more than make up. Highway driving also improved (despite no lowering ability). To sum up with an example - where my CD player used to skip 10 times while driving on bumpy roads with the air shocks, it skips only once once now.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
p38arover
AF Newbie

Re my earlier post, I should add that I had a blow out of a rear tyre on the freeway at 110km/h (70mph) and didn't even realise it. I wondered what the noise was and it wasn't until I saw the smoke in the rearview mirror that I knew.

That shows how stable these cars are. So if you wife lost control and it wasn't a catastrophic failure of a bellows,m then I'd be aiming the blame on your wife.

To answer your other questions, my 1995 HSE has never had an air suspension failure. I replaced the rear bellows due to leaks from old age - about 2 years ago.

Ron
Old 06-29-2005, 10:25 AM   #7
Dave Harper
AF Newbie

Range Rover P38 Suspension Failure Again

My 1999 RR P38 has had two compressors, a valve block and 4 new air springs all before 60k miles. The design of this system is a complete joke and the engineers and accountants that came up with it should be identified so they can never again commit such a crime.

The compressor is under designed for the application, they used the wrong rubber compounds for seals (o-rings and valves). The lines are too small and the software used to manage the system is far too simple.

Anyone interested is going after Land Rover for compensation? If so I'm in and will contribute $ to any legal fund.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #8
Asa I
AF Newbie

Thumbs down

I have experienced the suspension failure personally. I can see how a person could have had an accident under the proper circumstances. I too was on the freeway doing abot 70 mph when suddenly the rover started bouncing uncontrolably. Upon examination at the "stealer" they told me that one of the sensors had gone out and two of the air bags. After replacing the two airbags the next day thay had to replace a third. $2,000 later I got the rover back. This happened about a year ago when it had about 100K mi. on it. Now, it has a leak where the hose meets the pump.
I agree, If i can get some of my hard earned cash back from them I would. Let me know if something is going on.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:15 AM   #9
BStachel
AF Newbie

Question 2003 RangeRover

Just experienced an air suspension failure on my 2003 Range with 53,000 miles. Had to replace a tire earlier in the day and car got jacked up pretty high. Dealer said this probably unseated or tore the bags.

With the images of 4 wheeling with lots of wheel travel shown, who was to know that this non-4 wheeling, tire changing could cause such damage?

Sounds like a class action suit to me!
Old 12-08-2005, 05:06 AM   #10
p38arover
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 RangeRover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStachel
Just experienced an air suspension failure on my 2003 Range with 53,000 miles. Had to replace a tire earlier in the day and car got jacked up pretty high. Dealer said this probably unseated or tore the bags.

With the images of 4 wheeling with lots of wheel travel shown, who was to know that this non-4 wheeling, tire changing could cause such damage?

Sounds like a class action suit to me!
Heaven forbid! Your tyre dealer had no idea, did he. It's well known that with air suspension cars that if you let the suspension droop, it may unseat the bellows. It is exceptionaly easy to fix when you lower the car to the ground. They can be easily popped back on.

If the bags tore, they were probably on the way ouit and due for replacement.

The problem lies with your tyre service that probably employs untrained people.

Ron
Old 12-14-2005, 07:26 PM   #11
tabatabai
AF Newbie

My Valve Block and Rear Bellows went out at about 92000 miles, the Repair shop wanted 2000k to have it fixed, but I told him to wait, shopped the parts on line and I think after all said and done it will be about 1,100 for everything, new rear bellows and used valve block.

this car has been a champ other than that, I have taken it everywhere no problems.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #12
Mussaffa
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabatabai
My Valve Block and Rear Bellows went out at about 92000 miles, the Repair shop wanted 2000k to have it fixed, but I told him to wait, shopped the parts on line and I think after all said and done it will be about 1,100 for everything, new rear bellows and used valve block.

this car has been a champ other than that, I have taken it everywhere no problems.
Who did the replacent/repairs for you? I live in New Jersey and I am having that problem now. They deler replaced one side for $1300.00
Old 12-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #13
Mussaffa
AF Newbie

I have had to replace one suspension side for $1300 at the dealer in New Jersey. Who did your job?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:36 AM   #14
p38arover
AF Newbie

Hell's Bells, chaps!

Replacement air suspension bellows are dirt cheap in the USA. They are very easy to replace. Paying a dealer $1300 to do one side is mind-boggling!

Have a read of http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails...spreplace.html
and http://arnottindustries.com/

Ron
Old 06-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #15
cassquervo
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SucRover
A few months ago my wife was driving our 2000 Range Rover SE and the EAS system failed while she was driving it on the Interstate going 70 mph.
She lost control and hit a guardrail and was injured.
We asking people to help us in taking a poll with those who own are have bought Range Rover between 1995 and 2003 that have experienced EAS suspension problems that have contributed to accidents.
From our pleminary research it is quite apparent to us that Range Rover has been aware of this dangerous problem and have turned their heads from what we have found. We are galvanizing a group who feel a national recall should be issued by Range Rover. We are summiting this information to various transportation legal organizations and consumer affairs groups. Your help would be appreaciated.

We would like to ask people to give us a quick sample poll on the following;
1. When did you purchase the vehicle?
2. How many miles were on the vehcile when you noticed the first problem with EAS?
3. Can you estimate how much money you have spent on the system and were you pleased with the results of the repair?
4. When the EAS system failed did it result in an accident envolving another vehicle?
5. How many times has the system failed since you owned the vehicle?
6. Have you replaced the factory EAS with an aftermarket repair solution (Springs)?

Your imput would be appreacited.
My suspension failed all of a sudden but I was only traveling 35mph and was able to get the car back home before it totally bottomed out which it did as soon as I parked in the drive way. I did have an idea of how to repair it with the help of rover-renovations.com . I've spent about $400.00 and some elbow grease to revamp the whole system. I'm pretty happy with that right now but still don"t like the suspension system design.