Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 11:14 PM   #1
John_T
AF Newbie

McLaren Questions

First of all...
Could someone tell me the specs on the jet black McLaren F1 #072 and #002?
Also ...in the 5th gear episode ''Greatest Cars in the World'', was it #002 or #072?
Pictures under: #072 or #002?( I think this is my favorite McLaren! Very sexy car!!

2nd question:
Is Mr. Selldorf McLaren F1 LM (the LM03) the only LM car in North America? His car is road legal? (I have 3 videos of his car on the highway but I'm just making sure)

3rd question:
I'v read in this forum that there's 2 black LM's that belongs to the Sultan. Is it true? And could I have pics of the black LM's.

These are my 3 questions...I'm sure I could have found the infos by doing a search on this forum but there's too much infos going around.
Note: I'v just started to really look deeply on McLaren cars. I'm more of a Ferrari fan.

Thanks in advance for your help!

John
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:52 PM   #2
Kirium
AF Newbie

Re: McLaren Questions

To answer questions 2 and 3,

Yes LM03 is road legal and is the only LM in North America. The Sultan of Brunei has 3 (2 black with graphics, of which there are no known pictures, and 1 papaya) and the other one is in Japan I think.

Not sure about your first question. Someone else should be able to help tho.
Kirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:05 AM   #3
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
What sort of 'specs' are you looking for?

For starters, the car in your photos is #069. It was originally painted Mercedes Brilliant Silver per the chassis list, but later refinished to this Charcoal color. I have no idea if it was fitted with the High Downforce package from the start or not. There's a great story hiding in an old thread on this forum about one person's encounter with this car when it was here. Unfortunately, the car was not originally imported under the letter of the law and was supposedly seized by US Customs at some point and is either stuck there till eternity, or may have been forced to leave. If it was saved from exportation, that would be news to me, but I haven't seen anything new on this car in quite a long time.

The car in the 5th Gear special was actually #020, not #002. From the photos that circulate of both cars, they are painted a similar color and both have a red stripe on the ventline of the door. The photos of #002 were from when it was first built, and obviously the car didn't wear the High Downforce Kit at that time, but several cars have had it fitted after the fact. For a long time #020 was suspected to be #002, but we later learned that was false information.

Chassis #069 is a road car, but it happens to be somewhat special in comparison to others, beyond just having the downforce package fitted. In other photos of #069, you can see that the interior was fitted much like the LM in the areas of the side seats. Rather than having the entire surface finished with padding and leather, there are just some blocks of foam covered with suede to make enough cushioning. Moving to the engine compartment, you can see that the car lacks the standard road car's catalysts underneath the rear engine cover. The exhaust appears similar to that of the LM, but not exact. Its definitely not something that would be legal here in the USA without those catalysts in place, thats for sure.

Here's the interior of #069:

Here's the unique exhaust I just mentioned:

And since it seems that #072 is the car you are after in "Jet Black", here are the most common photos of it:

Chassis #072 seems to be another one of the cars that sort of snuck in, but it actually ended up being approved under Show & Display even though it was built much later than 1995. At the time it was approved, it's date of manufacture (1998) should have disqualified it from elligibility for S&D. Gerd explained one time how it got in - using the certificate for another car to certify both or something strange like that. Anyway, tragically the owner of this car, a high-tech entrepreneur named Thomas Gonzales, died after a battle with cancer at the very young age of 35. That sort of proves the age-old statement that 'money can't buy you happiness' in a very grim way.

I believe that his family still owns the car with no plans of selling it, but at one point in September 2001, three months prior to the his death, this car was offered for sale through Motorcars International for 1.49Mil USD. I know the family still had the car at the time of his death, as his eulogy was held at the Blackhawk Musuem in Danville, CA and the car was displayed there from that time, through at least February 2002.

Here's one of the only decent shots of the car I have seen from inside the Blackhawk. It's fairly difficult to take a good shot of a black car inside a poorly lit museum which also has black walls.

I hope all that helps to clear things up. If I left any loose ends, feel free to correct me or ask some more questions. I know there are some people who browse here who have a first hand knowledge of these two cars - definitely more than I do - so please feel free to share anything you can that I may have left out.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:47 AM   #4
John_T
AF Newbie

Thanks Kirium and Peloton25.

First question I really wasn't close in terms of chassis #. Sorry

About #069
You said it it has pretty much the same exhaust as the LM (thanks for the photo) , it doesn't have the standard road car's catalysts and the interior is like the LM.
Downforce package? The wing, and the front aero that I'v noticed but does it have LM suspension?
What is the engine specs on #069?

And if its not too much could you tell me the engine specs on #072 and #020.
Maybe all 3 of them are standard engine specs? (#069 I would be surprise if it is)

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:43 AM   #5
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Well I have identified everything I know to be different on the car. Beyond that, I wouldn't have a clue unfortunately.

The rumor is that there are two road cars that have been fitted with an LM spec engine. One is #073, the Kandy Orange Metallic one that Christies sold. The other one remains a mystery.

If I had to guess, I'd say the other one was the silver car with the HD Kit that was at the factory during TVRfreak's visit. It has some funky headlights and someone else noticed that the offsets on the rear wheels aren't normal. It was also used for an article in McLaren's own "RacingLine" magazine which tells me it has more of a connection to McLaren than your average F1. #073 was also closely connected to McLaren.

>8^)
ER
Old 11-22-2004, 12:28 PM   #6
John_T
AF Newbie

Many thanks Peloton25!!!

You have been very helpful.
Chassis number 073....maybe having a LM engine, now that I didn't know.

Peloton25,
I know there's many threads concerning this but do you have a personnal website with every chassis ever build?
Old 11-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #7
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Re: Re: McLaren Questions

No problem - glad to help. :thumbup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T
Chassis number 073....maybe having a LM engine, now that I didn't know.
It's not a 'maybe' with #073 - it's a fact. I guess I should have been more clear.

"Chassis No. SA9AB5AC4W1048073, Engine No. GTR LM 61121 6053 1648, Engine; BMW V12, twin overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, electronic fuel injection, 6,064cc, producing 691bhp at 7,500rpm"

"To complete this marvel the LM engine was installed; producing an astonishing 691bhp at 7,500rpm and 735 NM of torque (dyno test sheet can be provided upon request) it makes a significant performance improvement. It is important to acknowledge the significance of this upgrade as there is only one other McLaren F1 roadcar with the LM engine fitted."

Both of those quotes were lifted from here. The text is essentially a reprint of the Christie's Auction listing. Incidentally, this car was sold to a gentleman in Tampa, Florida named Don Wallace and is here in the USA now.

Quote:
Peloton25,
I know there's many threads concerning this but do you have a personnal website with every chassis ever build?
I don't have a website like that. I'd like to put one together, but McLaren Cars seems not to appreciate the effort as they have shut down at least one site like that in the past. The most useful one I can point you to is this one: www.qv500.com/indexmclaren.htm

>8^)
ER
Old 11-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #8
Cockrocket
AF Enthusiast

you say that you have got some videos of the Mclaren F1 LM....could you please tell me where to get them from?..i havnt got any videos of this amazing car!
Cockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:54 PM   #9
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Here are the two from the Turner Motorsports website:

LM leaving the shop

LM on hwy

Please 'Right-Click & Save Target As...' to preserve their bandwidth.

I'm not sure I am familiar with the third one he mentions.

>8^)
ER
Old 11-22-2004, 08:53 PM   #10
John_T
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: McLaren Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25
No problem - glad to help. :thumbup:

It's not a 'maybe' with #073 - it's a fact. I guess I should have been more clear.

"Chassis No. SA9AB5AC4W1048073, Engine No. GTR LM 61121 6053 1648, Engine; BMW V12, twin overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, electronic fuel injection, 6,064cc, producing 691bhp at 7,500rpm"

"To complete this marvel the LM engine was installed; producing an astonishing 691bhp at 7,500rpm and 735 NM of torque (dyno test sheet can be provided upon request) it makes a significant performance improvement. It is important to acknowledge the significance of this upgrade as there is only one other McLaren F1 roadcar with the LM engine fitted."
Both of those quotes were lifted from here. The text is essentially a reprint of the Christie's Auction listing. Incidentally, this car was sold to a gentleman in Tampa, Florida named Don Wallace and is here in the USA now.

I don't have a website like that. I'd like to put one together, but McLaren Cars seems not to appreciate the effort as they have shut down at least one site like that in the past. The most useful one I can point you to is this one: www.qv500.com/indexmclaren.htm

>8^)
ER
Peloton25,
When you wrote ''rumor'' I thought you weren't sure. Now that you confirmed, the only thing I could say about #073: Wow!

As for making a website, I think you should make your own website in the near future. Or you could even write a book with pics!! Sell the book between $40- $100.
I would buy it without hesitating.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:01 PM   #11
John_T
AF Newbie

Quote:
Here are the two from the Turner Motorsports website:

LM leaving the shop

LM on hwy

Please 'Right-Click & Save Target As...' to preserve their bandwidth.

I'm not sure I am familiar with the third one he mentions.

>8^)
ER
Yeah thats 2 of them.
The other video (which I don't have anymore) is LM03 driving slowly on the streets. (I think it was that, its been a long time I havent seen this video)
On supercars.net (Peloton25 you still post over there?) I'm sure you remember the moving avatar that ''Orange F1 LM'' (the user) was using a long time ago.
That is the video I am talking about. Maybe its not a real F1 LM? You tell me.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:03 PM   #12
theflinger
AF Enthusiast

A book by Peloton...hmm that would probably own. He'd just need to hire a few photographers or just take some unique pics himself...maybe an inside interview or two?
theflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:53 PM   #13
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

You guys are comical...

People who write books generally do so because they know things that other people don't. I get my knowledge from the things that I have read, and from people generous enough to add some insight to the various mysteries of the F1. A book of mine would be more like one of those compilations books that pulls articles from other sources and slaps a fancy cover on the front.

I think the thing that is good about me is I just have a strong memory when it comes to these cars, and am rather diligent about archiving nearly everything I find on them. I'm also rather good at finding info on the web - I pursue every angle I can think of. All of that makes it easy to refer back to when a question comes up and I'm glad to here some people find a benefit in all my efforts.

As for the third video - you are correct, it is an LM and happens to be LM3. I do believe that I have it here somewhere. (looking...)

The thing that caused me to forget about it was I was specifically thinking about videos of the car from when it was in Mr Selldorff's possession. The video you are referring to was shot during the 1999 Gumball 3000 race across Europe where David Morrison, the car's previous owner, competed in the LM. It's very short and the quality is poor like the other two, but we'll take what we can get, right.

(found it...) I figured there might be several people here interested in a copy of the third video, so I uploaded it to my Imagestation account. Unfortunately it's only :16secs long and the camera isn't always focused on the LM. It can be downloaded using this link if you want it:

F1 LM Gumball video <-- Right-Click, Save Target As...

>8^)
ER
Old 11-23-2004, 02:45 AM   #14
zx4000
AF Regular

Quote:
(dyno test sheet can be provided upon request)
Erik, I want to see the dyno test sheet you referring to.
zx4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:01 AM   #15
John_T
AF Newbie

Quote:
F1 LM Gumball video <-- Right-Click, Save Target As...

>8^)
ER
Thank you!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1