Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
RickSAS
AF Newbie

1994 Trans Sport trans fluid leak

1994 Pontiac Trans Sport 3.8

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a few drops of what I thought was transmission fluid on the ground and when it persisted, I decided to take a look.

I removed the plastic cover to see where the leak was coming from and I saw it dripping from the transmission fluid cooling unit (the actual unit, not the hoses). So I bought a new cooling unit, clipped off the previously clamped section of the hoses, and installed the new part.

I went outside the next morning and I noticed that there were new drops of fluid on the ground. I dismissed this as remaining fluid that could have already been on the plastic cover before the new unit was installed. I came out again today and there were still a number of new drops on the ground. I put it back up on the ramps, but I don't see anything leaking at the moment.

Is there anything above the cooling unit that could have made it appear as if it was the unit that was leaking? Something to do with power steering perhaps?

Last edited by RickSAS; 07-10-2007 at 12:37 PM.
RickSAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1994 Trans Sport trans fluid leak

SO...you have an external cooling unit for the transmission....I do not know if this is a "towing package" option or an add-on by the owner, because the basic set-up consists of loops inside the side tanks of the main radiator... However, most of those who add such a cooler keep the original radiator loops connected in series with the cooler so all this tubing above is subject to rust puncture...and it does it more than often after a decade.
The power steering also has a metal loop tied to the front of the lower main sbframe, and the metal tubing leading to it ..same tubing anyway...are normally rusting out and leaking...at the age of your car, more than possible, but this is under, not above......
Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
RickSAS
AF Newbie

Re: 1994 Trans Sport trans fluid leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
SO...you have an external cooling unit for the transmission....I do not know if this is a "towing package" option or an add-on by the owner, because the basic set-up consists of loops inside the side tanks of the main radiator.
Yes, the unit rests in front of the condenser. The loops on the right side are zip tied to part of the frame, so it would seem like whoever was making repairs for the previous owner went for a quick fix (?).
RickSAS is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport