Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
harriet1982
AF Newbie

Unhappy Power Steering Problem??

Hi everyone, hopefully you can help with this question...

When I turn my steering wheel I am hearing a 'click' noise (only one click). It seems to come from the outside of the car. Either from under the bonnet or near the wheels (but definately not from the steering wheel).

It happens when turning the steering wheel left...and it also happens when turning right.

It happens at the same point of steering each time. On the right it clicks at "one o'clock" and on the left it clicks at "eleven o'clock". So the click is symmetrical if that makes sense!

A few weeks ago I took the car for a service and told them about the noise. They couldn't see anything wrong with the car but they reckon that the power-steering belt is cracked.

Could a cracked belt be causing the noise or would this have no effect?

I'm just worried that I might be driving a timebomb.

Thanks very much guys.
harriet1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: Power Steering Problem??

not a cracked belt. The belt spins with the engine, so it wouldn't be as specific as you say.

Is there any change in the steering when it clicks? Does it change the wheel direction when it clicks? It could be one of several things. All of the steering components use ball joints and they could be failing. The suspension arms ride on bushings which could be worn. One of my cars is clunking when I turn because of terribly worn bushings on the suspension arms.

Help us out... what car are we talking about? year? make? model?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:21 AM   #3
harriet1982
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
not a cracked belt. The belt spins with the engine, so it wouldn't be as specific as you say.

Is there any change in the steering when it clicks? Does it change the wheel direction when it clicks? It could be one of several things. All of the steering components use ball joints and they could be failing. The suspension arms ride on bushings which could be worn. One of my cars is clunking when I turn because of terribly worn bushings on the suspension arms.

Help us out... what car are we talking about? year? make? model?
It's a small car...a Hyundai Getz 2005 model. It's done 120,000 kms!!!

You say that it could be connected with a suspensions issue. Well when I go over speed bumps, my front-right hand side suspension makes a hissing noise. A one second hiss of air.

The steering itself appears to be unaffected. Would you say it is dangerous to be driving with worn bushings?
Old 09-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

sure sounds like the turn signal cancel mechanism, which is in the column, just under the steering wheel. All cars engage at 1 and 11 o'clock

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

I like unclebob's idea because its simple

The hissing could be a worn shock. Next time you're near a speed bump, listen as other cars go over; some will hiss, others won't.

A worn bushing is mildly dangerous. Usually it just affects handling, allowing suspension pieces to move unexpectedly, but on mine its starting to get bad enough that it steers by itself from side to side on uneven pavement and makes terrible clunking noises when I turn. Its really time for me to do something about it.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:00 AM   #6
mr_mushroom
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to mr_mushroom

as previously stated, turn signal cancel cam.

most cars engage at 11 and 1 (mine clicks every time, even without blinkers, probably due to the aftermarket steering wheel)
some have more than one place they'll click at, depending on the car.

i don't know much about your specific make or model, but mine clicks in exactly the same manner. i had a camaro once that did it as well.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:18 AM   #7
harriet1982
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mushroom
as previously stated, turn signal cancel cam.

most cars engage at 11 and 1 (mine clicks every time, even without blinkers, probably due to the aftermarket steering wheel)
some have more than one place they'll click at, depending on the car.

i don't know much about your specific make or model, but mine clicks in exactly the same manner. i had a camaro once that did it as well.
I wish...but it sounds like the noise is coming from under the bonnet...or the wheels somewhere.

Also it's started clicking more than once per turn now eek!

Does anyone know how much I'm looking at to get these bushings fixed (assuming that it's the bushings). Any currency will do - just after an idea.

Last mechanic I asked to look at it said they couldn't hear anything, but wanted to get my clutch replaced instead. I'm not THAT stupid luckily!

Thanks everyone
Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
grndslm
AF Newbie

I had a issue similar to this before with my Corolla. I got one click, then after more turning it turned into more clicks.

There is a number of rods that run from the steering wheel thru the firewall, but on that rod is a nut or bolt or something that needs to be tightened. At least that's what happened to me. I believe it was a nut or something found by looking upward from the floorboard on the driver's side.

I was really lucky I didn't have an accident from something that important to safety just coming loose.

This could be something totally different. If you're completely stopped, make sure the steering wheel lock is disabled so you can turn the wheels. If turning the steering wheel makes this clicking or popping noise more obvious when stopped, I think this is the same problem I had. But who knows...
grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
tommy d
AF Newbie

well lets see! she did say the noise is not coming from the steering column but from ouside! My guess is a bad rack! you turn 11 to 1 or 1 to 11 and thats just enough to take up the slop in a worn rack! Click-Click! Just a thought?
tommy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #10
mr_mushroom
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to mr_mushroom

damn.
that guy is probably right. (tommy d)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical