Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
grrrtyson
AF Newbie

Turn key and nothing. no dash lights or response from the key turn at all.

I turn the key and nothing, no dash lights no dome or underhood lights nothing whatsoever. So I have cleaned all on the connections and tested the "on" postion of my ignition switch and reinstalled it but nothing. battery is fine. i recently fixed my neutral safety switch and worked great for a couple of days untill this problem came about(almost sure it has nothing to do with this problem). anyone have any help they might like to share?
grrrtyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
72mino
AF Regular

Re: Turn key and nothing. no dash lights or response from the key turn at all.

Have you checked the fuse for the ignition switch. In my 96 its a big 60A fuse in the power distribution center under the hood. Also, is your battery good, headlights and such work?

Dustin
72mino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

Hmmm, if you have nothing, it seems odd that the ignition switch is not the culpret.

Have you tried putting the trans in neutral and starting it?

I'm just getting acquanted with a '98 we just picked up and when the motor is cold and temp is less than 25 or so, it simply won't start in park. Once the motor is warmed up, it will restart in park just fine. Starter is newer as well

Now, here's the even wierder part. The first time the temp dropped below 20, the truck simply wouldn't start at all. I chaulked it up to a weak battery it had in it when we got the truck a couple of weeks prior. Replaced the battery, nadda. Checked the cables, good. Jumped the battery positive input terminal to ignition input terminal on the solenoid, fired right up. I had to do this however for a couple of days when the motor was cold and warm, but the temp outiside was of course brutally cold. It stopped when I noticed the radiator overflow hose kept coming off the overflow bottle. Put a new clamp on the hose and the truck will now start every time neutral, but not all the time in park. Coincidence, maybe, but there were signs that the overflow hose was leaking on the starter.
wrightz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
mightybison
AF Newbie

Had similar problem on my 92 scrubbed inside of battery connections with a wire brush and/or sand paper and it started right up.
mightybison is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
electrical , ignition , key , switch
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee