Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Driving Style and Technique
Driving Style and Technique Got a favorite way to enter a corner? Discuss all things related to piloting a race car here.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #16
SilentNIght1647
AF Regular

Re: How to do a proper burnout?

I don't understand this whole thing about automatics not being to do a "proper" burnout, honestly why does the trans make a difference if the car has enough power to break the tires loose? I've put out some serious smoke with my buddies Olds Cutlass and it has an auto threee speed in it granted it's got wicked torque due to a 383 stroker but the circumstances are the same. So to do a "proper" burnout in a RWD car put the transmission in the lowest gear you've got press the brakes just enough to stop the car from moving and stand on the throttle till tires break loose.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:36 PM   #17
nikita7
AF Regular

In FWD car holding gas and brake will not produce a burnout. Car will start pulling itself forward once the RPMs go 4k,I tried this on 2005 monte carlo. Plus brakes are always more powerfull on the front wheels than on the rear, to my knowledge ? Also did 5.0 fox bodies have drums in the rear ?
91 transmission
CF hood
No-name intake
Reverse glow gauges!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #18
The_M_one
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita7
In FWD car holding gas and brake will not produce a burnout. Car will start pulling itself forward once the RPMs go 4k,I tried this on 2005 monte carlo. Plus brakes are always more powerfull on the front wheels than on the rear, to my knowledge ? Also did 5.0 fox bodies have drums in the rear ?
Not that it matters now, being many months later, but fox 5.0 had drum rears till the bitter end, sans cobra, cobra R, and Saleen variants. Doing the rear disk/five lug conversion well worth the money..ushers in introduction of ford 9" for real power handling
Old 12-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #19
AF Newbie

brake+gas should work good for you. my 92 caprice(5.0, 305) does some ok burnouts and i have more weight.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #20
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VR43000GT

This thread originated on 05. Let it die.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #21
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Send a message via AIM to CassiesMan

The sad thing is this subforum tends to be so dead that a post in a topic from 2005 really does bring some new life into it.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #22
alphaboo
AF Newbie

Don't. Your car doesn't like it. It hurts all important parts and ruins tires. Just don't do it. It may look cool but it really screws up your car and it's pointless replacing things on a car that you won't normally have to. It is one thing to burn out your clutch from hard driving but to rip tread off your tires and have to replace them sooner just to look cool is a real waste. Remember when those Nascar winners do those burnouts and donuts when they win it's not like they are ever going to use those tires again. You I assume still have some driving to do with the car so do the tires a favor and forget about burnouts. Besides if your are driving for speed it just makes you slower off the line.

However if you really want to do good burn outs get a manual. It involvels releasing the cluth just to the point were it begins to engage and push down on the trottle all the way. In all honesty I didn't think you could do a burnout in an automatic unless the engine was big enough to produce enough torque on the rear wheels. While you're at it you might want to try a couple of 180s. Getup some speed hit the emegency brake which normally just stops the rear wheels, crank the streering wheel release the hand brake and take off in the opposite direction. Just don't blame me if you roll the car.

I hope this explianation as to why it is easier to do a burnout in a manual than an automatic helps silent night.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Driving Style and Technique