Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Fiesta
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 03:13 AM   #1
Hal914
AF Newbie

Over revving on idle and when clutch is engaged, warning lights on dash!

Hey guys, I recently (last week) brought a 2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6l three door hatchback, it has a duratec engine and has done 146000km, it's last service was at about 136000km.
So last night I started up the car and for some reason the revs jumped straight to about 3000 and sat around that I didn't really think much of it and started driving home (was at work only about 3km journey) on the way home the engine warning light came on and the automatic transmission warning light started flashing... Whenever I push down on the clutch the revs would jump up to about 4000rpm again and then when the clutch is disengaged again the car feels like it's pulling itself, then it started sort of 'spluttering' with my foot on the accelerater at about 3000rpm it would fluctuate about 300rpm either way, wouldn't accelerate anymore and sounded like it wanted to stall/losing power. My knowledge of cars is pretty shallow as I'm more of a motorbike person any help you could give would be much appreciated, before this the car was driving fine and I didn't see any problems with it.
Hal914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Over revving on idle and when clutch is engaged, warning lights on dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal914 View Post
the automatic transmission warning light started flashing... Whenever I push down on the clutch the revs would jump up to about 4000rpm again and then when the clutch is disengaged again the car feels like it's pulling itself.
I'm a bit confused. You refer to automatic transmission warning light, then the manual operation of a clutch... so which do you have, automatic or manual?
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
65comet
AF Enthusiast

He may have a manual transmission and an automatic light on the dash. The other day my 98 F150 had a ABS light on the dash come up but it doesn't have anti-lock brakes. I guess we'll have to wait till he updates us to find out for sure what his situation is.
(For some reason the ABS light came on while doing a relearn for the throttle position sensor)
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #4
Hal914
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCStig View Post
I'm a bit confused. You refer to automatic transmission warning light, then the manual operation of a clutch... so which do you have, automatic or manual?
Hi sorry probably should have tried to explain that better. Its a manual car. The light that comes up is the small yellow circle with an explanation mark in it (Shown In link)
http://blogmedia.dealerfire.com/wp-c...alfunction.png

I thought it was called an automatic transmission light, I may be mistaken.
Hal914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
65comet
AF Enthusiast

That is the Powertrain warning light and will indicate problems with automatic or manual trans. Below is from the owners manual if that light comes on. That model wasn't available for that year in the U.S., so I'm not familiar with it.

(owners manual)http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...=EN&VIN=&div=f

Vehicles with a 5-speed manual transmission or Durashift EST

If the powertrain warning lamp comes on when the engine is running, this indicates a malfunction. The engine will continue to run but it will have limited power. Have this checked as soon as possible.

If the powertrain warning lamp flashes when the engine is running, this indicates a malfunction. Stop your vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so. Have this checked before continuing your journey.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Fiesta