Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 11:35 AM   #91
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ssshhhh (_burn_)
Quote:
Originally posted by C32Bperformance
I guess since I got a b16, im an "Ls hater"
exactly
you've been branded

6.7 @ 211mph whooping kubo's ass all over the track
ssshhhh (_burn_) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 11:43 AM   #92
C32Bperformance
AF Enthusiast

i think youve got serious defensive issues... i hope that 10 second teg makes you feel a little better about yourself... i cant imagine how youd act without it
Old 07-03-2003, 11:45 AM   #93
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
i think youve got serious defensive issues... i hope that 10 second teg makes you feel a little better about yourself... i cant imagine how youd act without it
haha i was joking with you.
and i dont drive an integra

Old 07-03-2003, 11:50 AM   #94
C32Bperformance
AF Enthusiast

i guess i meant teg motor.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:53 AM   #95
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

BTW, rod/stroke ratio needs to be good when you rev high, not when you get a lot of power out of it. So if you don't take an LS much past 7K RPM, I've seen people get 400 HP out of the stock crank. Of course you can rev the B16 higher, but that doesn't make it faster or able to handle more power.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:03 PM   #96
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by PWMAN
BTW, rod/stroke ratio needs to be good when you rev high, not when you get a lot of power out of it. So if you don't take an LS much past 7K RPM, I've seen people get 400 HP out of the stock crank. Of course you can rev the B16 higher, but that doesn't make it faster or able to handle more power.
exactly. ide really LOVE to see some explantion from this kid on how a b16 can handle boost better than a b18b.... keeping in mind that we are talking about stock engines, personally i havnt seen (in real life....not some dyno sheet bullshit) a turbo b16 that was pushing more than 10 psi and that was at the track. i tuned my first ls bottom end to 16 pounds at the track and that was on a stock ls motor with a custom kit with a t3t4e and a ported revhard manifold. ive heard of a guy in virginia beach that tuned a stock ls to 19 pounds before they blew it up.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:04 PM   #97
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ssshhhh (_burn_)

exactly. ide really LOVE to see some explantion from this kid on how a b16 can handle boost better than a b18b.... keeping in mind that we are talking about stock engines, personally i havnt seen (in real life....not some dyno sheet bullshit) a turbo b16 that was pushing more than 10 psi and that was at the track. i tuned my first ls bottom end to 16 pounds at the track and that was allstock ls with a custom kit with a t3t4e and a ported revhard manifold. ive heard of a guy in virginia beach that tuned a stock ls to 19 pounds before they blew it up.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:05 PM   #98
C32Bperformance
AF Enthusiast

damn i havent seen a stocker crank make that kinda power, shit thats cool.

And you dont think the extra revs on the b16 will make overall more hp? You do know even a stock b16 crank can turn 9000 rpms and possibly higher right? i mean thats a tough number to compete with...
Old 07-03-2003, 12:10 PM   #99
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
damn i havent seen a stocker crank make that kinda power, shit thats cool.

And you dont think the extra revs on the b16 will make overall more hp? You do know even a stock b16 crank can turn 9000 rpms and possibly higher right? i mean thats a tough number to compete with...
but i beat i was making more torque at 4800 rpms than that motors making at 9000. right now im probably making more torque at 2000 rpms than most turbo b16s are making at 9000.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:11 PM   #100
C32Bperformance
AF Enthusiast

and now suddenly since theres somebody else on here your not kidding anymore...

geez, its pointless for me to say anything, cuz theres 2 ppl against, and one for it, so it doesnt really matter now, im wrong either way, untill 2 more ppl come on that agree with me. i guess i should have never said anything to begin with.

If you honestly think the ls and b16 bottom ends can handle the same kind of hp then im all up for learning something. so teach away, why is it that the ls is just as capable?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:12 PM   #101
C32Bperformance
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
but i beat i was making more torque at 4800 rpms than that motors making at 9000. right now im probably making more torque at 2000 rpms than most turbo b16s are making at 9000.
Thats irrelevant, cuz if i was even making half the torque at 9k that you make at 2, i would sitll have like twice the hp, and pull the bullshit right outta you.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:23 PM   #102
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

Thats irrelevant, cuz if i was even making half the torque at 9k that you make at 2, i would sitll have like twice the hp, and pull the bullshit right outta you.
???? i seriously doubt you have even half as much horsepower as my car does.
i doubt that your car even makes as much horsepower as mine does torque. (on 118 octane gas its putting out 538 whp and 357 lbs of torque at only 1.4 bar of boost .edit (thats 20.3 pounds of boost and the car can be tuned to around 26 with very little fuel work)

its been said a million times....if b16 motors were better for turbo then people would be dumping gobs of money into their si-r motors for turbo

Old 07-03-2003, 12:37 PM   #103
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

B16 heads flow better than any other B series head. So if you do LS/VTEC with B16 head thats the best HP making setup. Of course we all know how unreliable an LS/VTEC is. I never seen one last for more than 2 years, but then again the people that do it are always racing them.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:40 PM   #104
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by PWMAN
B16 heads flow better than any other B series head. So if you do LS/VTEC with B16 head thats the best HP making setup. Of course we all know how unreliable an LS/VTEC is. I never seen one last for more than 2 years, but then again the people that do it are always racing them.
you can make any b series head flow well. ls/vtec turbo is not the best solution always...

Old 07-03-2003, 12:42 PM   #105
C32Bperformance
AF Enthusiast

you got that 500 hp up in the revs, i was merely stating that your statement about 2k torque didnt mean anything in comparo to torque at 9k

Around here, ppl boost b16s like crazy, its the most popular motor.

Heres the deal, I used to think the ls was the way to go, its all i had my eyes on, i was gonna take the head i had and put the nice ls under it.

I watched b16 guys beat the piss outta their motors and have nothing break, even the boosted ones. Then I see the GSR and Ls guys boost their motors, and throw rods, and bend cranks an i began to get a little curious.

I found what i thought was the answer, the rod/stroke ratio. For a while i thought i was lucky in not having bought that bottom end already and have it junked after breaking it. For a while I started to see the b18 guys fall behind in the racing scene, and i watched even b16s with stock 8k revs beat out the b18s.

Now Im hearing differently again. So like i said before, tell me why the b18 bottom is as good as the b16, cuz i see otherwise here in tampa.