Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 01:10 AM   #1
Chris93SL2
AF Newbie

Torqe Wrench Use?

Hey Guys,

While working on my cars I realized I need a better torqe wrench, so I went and got one today. I got one that is rated 20-150 Foot Pounds, after reading the manual for the car I'm working on some clutch parts and things require less than 20 like 10-13 even. How do I torqe things this low poundage? Do I need a different Torqe Wrench? I read the instructions for my wrench and it says to not turn it below the lowest setting, in my stupidity I did this, trying to see if I could use it below that. Is it very likely that it is damaged or uncalibrated because of that error. Thanks

Also torqe specs in general are a range, like 23-28 for example is it better to stay at the low, high, or in the middle of the two numbers?

THanks

65 Mustang Coupe - White - 200 Straight Six 3spd Floor (My Project Car)
90 Mazda MPV - 2.6L 4cyl Auto(Moms car)
82 Chevy S-10 - 2.8L V6 4spd (Trying to get it running for little brother)
Chris93SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 06:35 AM   #2
CraigFL
AF Regular

I have two because of this. One is a 1/2" drive for the higher torques ans the other is 3/8" for the inch-lb torques.

I doubt if you damaged it by turning it too low unless you tried to torque to 200 ft-lb or something. When you get your new torque wrench there will be some overlap on the ranges so you'll be able to check the other one.

If there's a range, I shoot for the middle, because there are always inaccuracies. You wouldn't want to overtorque a cap screw in aluminum threads especially!
CraigFL is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical