Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Feaglesnork
AF Newbie

Temperature Issue

First some background information:

91 Mercury Cougar
70,000 miles (a grandma owned it previous to me)
Had head gasket replaced roughly 8 months ago.

Since the HG repair, car has been running smoothly. I constantly check the temperature gauge now and have noticed no real problems with heating or inconsistencies. Temperature rises normally to midway point then regulates and holds position slightly off center on the low side.

But last week, I noticed, on my morning drive (not at idle), the temperature gauge climb normally, but move past the midway point and get close to the 3/4 level. I panicked for a moment, but after about 30 seconds of it staying there, the needle dropped to the normal level. Since then, I've been watching the gauge closely and see that it does not act this way every time I drive, and has actually only done it once since last week. It does, however, go a little higher than usual before stabilizing in the middle, but not as far as the 3/4 level.

Anyway, I know there are a number of things this could be, and that I will have to take it to a repair shop. Just wanted to get some of your ideas and see if anyone else has dealt with this scenario, especially after a head gasket repair such as mine. I'm not finding oil in coolant or vice versa, and don't see a leak, but what are the chances that the head gasket is blown again (end of the car)? Thanks for any help.
Feaglesnork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
James 83
AF Newbie

Re: Temperature Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feaglesnork View Post
First some background information:

91 Mercury Cougar
70,000 miles (a grandma owned it previous to me)
Had head gasket replaced roughly 8 months ago.

Since the HG repair, car has been running smoothly. I constantly check the temperature gauge now and have noticed no real problems with heating or inconsistencies. Temperature rises normally to midway point then regulates and holds position slightly off center on the low side.

But last week, I noticed, on my morning drive (not at idle), the temperature gauge climb normally, but move past the midway point and get close to the 3/4 level. I panicked for a moment, but after about 30 seconds of it staying there, the needle dropped to the normal level. Since then, I've been watching the gauge closely and see that it does not act this way every time I drive, and has actually only done it once since last week. It does, however, go a little higher than usual before stabilizing in the middle, but not as far as the 3/4 level.

Anyway, I know there are a number of things this could be, and that I will have to take it to a repair shop. Just wanted to get some of your ideas and see if anyone else has dealt with this scenario, especially after a head gasket repair such as mine. I'm not finding oil in coolant or vice versa, and don't see a leak, but what are the chances that the head gasket is blown again (end of the car)? Thanks for any help.
Thermostat may need change,sounds like it's sticking.
James 83 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > General Discussion