Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #31
igneous
AF Newbie

Wink Re: 2000 Isuzu Rodeo CEL, fuel tank sending unit

ALL you folks with CEL for sending unit, go here:

http://www.isuzu.com/owners_warranty_2000to2002.jsp#

Click on this link:
Isuzu's 10-Year/120,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty

A window will pop up that shows all the stuff covered for 10 yrs.

And yes, fuel pump is covered. As well as gaskets/seals, etc. It even covers CV joints and other suspension parts.

I called Crest Cadillac/Isuzu on 75 in Dallas/Plano and TOLD them I was bringing my 2001 Rodeo in for warranty work. They did it in half a day, no questions asked. Of course, whenever you bring in the unit for anything, especially warranty work, they'll tell you your overdue for the 60k, 75k, 80k, etc., checkup/maintenance. You ask them what all that covers and they'll say,
"We check this and this and change oil, filters, etc. for only $300."
That's when I said, "Ok, I'll call when it's convenient for me to bring it in...."
then go to the beer store and get a case of Coors since I just saved $$ and alot of time under the Rodeo.

Service managers at ALL auto repair places are leaned-on very heavily to AVERAGE $300 for every vehicle that rolls into the garage...no matter whether it needs repairs or not. Of course, rich folks and dumbasses can get steamrolled into dropping $1k or more depending on how rich and/or stupid they are. And single ladies that have no clue are the sweetest carion for the vultures. Did you hear the internet wav file that has a lady getting a quote for 2 transmissions....1 to go forward and the other reverse?? Or that her headlights were low on "halogen" and needed a fill? NO kidding....and she was ready to pay a $2500 bill for this and a slew of other gags.
Good thing is was her dad that put his mechanic friend up to this 'joke' to teach her to learn something about cars.

If the dealership gives you any shit about the warranty work, call the headquarters phone on the Isuzu website and let them know who's refusing to do warranty work.
igneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #32
bloozdood
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Isuzu Rodeo CEL, fuel tank sending unit

Thanks for the suggestion igneous! I had the exact same problem with my 2000 Isuzu Rodeo which has 116k miles on it. The CEL code was reading PO463 ("the PCM has determined that the voltage signal from the fuel level sensor is too high for the current engine operating conditions."). I read this forum and took it to the dealer and explained the catch-22 situation. They wouldn’t sell me the "fuel level sensor" separately since it was part of the fuel pump assembly. BUT...the fuel pump was in fact covered under Isuzu’s 10 year/120,000 mile warranty. They took the vehicle in and dealt with Isuzu directly and, long story short, the replaced the entire fuel pump under warranty, costing me nothing. Now everything is working fine (and I’m crossing my fingers). Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igneous
ALL you folks with CEL for sending unit, go here:

http://www.isuzu.com/owners_warranty_2000to2002.jsp#

Click on this link:
Isuzu's 10-Year/120,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty

A window will pop up that shows all the stuff covered for 10 yrs.

And yes, fuel pump is covered. As well as gaskets/seals, etc. It even covers CV joints and other suspension parts.

I called Crest Cadillac/Isuzu on 75 in Dallas/Plano and TOLD them I was bringing my 2001 Rodeo in for warranty work. They did it in half a day, no questions asked. Of course, whenever you bring in the unit for anything, especially warranty work, they'll tell you your overdue for the 60k, 75k, 80k, etc., checkup/maintenance. You ask them what all that covers and they'll say,
"We check this and this and change oil, filters, etc. for only $300."
That's when I said, "Ok, I'll call when it's convenient for me to bring it in...."
then go to the beer store and get a case of Coors since I just saved $$ and alot of time under the Rodeo.

Service managers at ALL auto repair places are leaned-on very heavily to AVERAGE $300 for every vehicle that rolls into the garage...no matter whether it needs repairs or not. Of course, rich folks and dumbasses can get steamrolled into dropping $1k or more depending on how rich and/or stupid they are. And single ladies that have no clue are the sweetest carion for the vultures. Did you hear the internet wav file that has a lady getting a quote for 2 transmissions....1 to go forward and the other reverse?? Or that her headlights were low on "halogen" and needed a fill? NO kidding....and she was ready to pay a $2500 bill for this and a slew of other gags.
Good thing is was her dad that put his mechanic friend up to this 'joke' to teach her to learn something about cars.

If the dealership gives you any shit about the warranty work, call the headquarters phone on the Isuzu website and let them know who's refusing to do warranty work.
bloozdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #33
tastyme
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness
I am the original owner of a 2000 Rodeo - My problems started around the 21st of February. My CEL came on. I called the dealership where I bought it - the Service Manager told me to bring it in because it is still under warranty. The code they got was for the cam sensor. It cost me $50 (deductible) to have this warranty work done. I thought problems were over with. On the 27th of February - the low fuel light began flashing, the CEL came on, and the fan was blowing - when the engine was cold - and it was idling high. I called the service dept again - my appointment was for 8 am Saturday the 13 of March. They hooked up the computer checker and told me the code was 463 - they told me that was the code for the fuel tank sending unit and it was not covered under warranty - and it was going to cost $500. I was so upset - I left and logged into google and did a search. I found all of these messages. I plan on calling the 800 #'s for Isuzu. I thought they were trying to take advantage of my being a female, but it seems they are doing this to others as well. I need some advice on where to go. I believe they knew about the fuel tank sending unit in February - can't prove that though. I live nearly two hours from the dealership and it is a hardship for me to take it in. My vehicle is just now at 50,500 miles. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sweetness
I'm an owner of a 2003 rodeo, and my cam sensor went out too. let me tell you what happen to me! My car would not start one morning I thought it was due to someone steeling my gas. After several attemps of putting gas in the car and tring to start it, still no luck. I called isuzu rodeside assistance and they towed me to the nearest dealer. before they towed me the miles on my truck was at 46,546 (still under warrenty). Come to find out that my computer system was not regertering the gas, and the fuel sending unit was broken. After the DEALER so called fixed that, my truck still would not start. It would crank but not turn over. Now it's going on the second week of the DEALER having my truck leaving me with no loaner car! During the third week I beagin to get antsy. I started going to the DEALER everyday to check on the STATS. My truck was still in the same place that I left it. On the forth week they begain to work on it, they had to do some type of diagnoses that cost 500.00 and after they diagnose it then they can fix it. well they found that my cam sensor was bad and it was not covered under my warrenty which goes up to 50,000 miles or 3 years, the origanal owner brought the truck in Jan of 04. (mind you I had the truck for only 5 months and 3 months earlier I had to take the truck into the DEALER cause the CEL came on,. they told me that my gas cap was not on tight. go figure. they knew that I was about to encounter a major problem then.) I fought with them beacuse I knew that I was still under 50,000 miles. I called the towing co and the insurence co. and got proof that my miles were less then 50,000 miles prior to my truck arriving there. the tech told me and my insurence co that she had no idea how my miles got to 50,000 because she knew that it was 46,540 when it came in. I have to sue the DEALER in small claims court because before they released my truck after playing in it and adding miles to MY ride I had to pay a wopping 1000.00. Oh and when I got in my truck to leave, already mad as a BULL. MY TRUCK WOULD NOT START!!!!!! they had to give me a jump. The tech said the battery was low cause he had the doors open.( LOL ) I get back to work and contenue my day, ready to lleave in my fixed truck.........AND IT WOULDN"T START AGAIN!!!! I have had my truck back for 6 days now and had to get a jump 4 times. and the truck sounds like it don't want to start. I plan to trade it in this weekend!!!! Pray for the single mom, resently divorced, trying to stand up on her own, they see us coming a mile way. (SMILE)
tastyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #34
Tink19
AF Newbie

After reading this I feel a little bit better and can see that everyone is having the same problems as me. I have a 99 v6 automatic rodeo and just the other day I ran out of gas. I called AAA and they came to put more gas in it but the car wouldn't start still. The AAA guy told me I could have blown my fuel pump and they had to call a tow truck to tow it. Well just about a month ago my starter went out on the car and I took it to Pep Boys and they charged me $400 dollars to fix it! UGH...so this time the tow truck guy suggested a friend of his who's a mechanic and told me he could give me a good price. Well, I just got the call today from him telling me I needed a new fuel pump (if that's even the problem) and that it's going to cost me $500.!!!! Is this right??? I have been trying to research this all over the computer and can't really find anything. I was ripped off before and I'm trying to not let this happen again. I don't know what to think. If anyone can confirm that this is the right price please do! I'm going crazy with all these car problems and now I have to pay $500!!!! If anyone can give me some advice that would be great! Thanks!!
Tink19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:57 AM   #35
cajun600
AF Newbie

Same thing happened to me, 2001 Rodeo with 57k miles on it (original owner). Fuel guage starting jumping up and down, on full then empty then on full again, the gas light would begin flashing and then the CEL would come on. Took it to the dealer, they said it was a bad fuel send unit. They wanted to charge me $155 + tax to fix it (100 deductible from my extended 3rd party warranty and 55 for diagnostics). I called Isuzu, they said they treat the fuel send unit and the fuel pump as one unit, this means its covered under the 10 year 120k mile Powertrain warranty. Dealer ended up replacing fuel pump and mass air flow sensor 100% free of charge. Took about a day to service. Very pleased overall with the service and the vehicle.
cajun600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #36
minest01
AF Newbie

I just got off the phone with the US ISUZU customer relations number and they stated that the 2000 - 2002 the sending unit and the fuel pump and combined and not sold seperatly - if you want call them at 1-800-255-6727
minest01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #37
tshirton
AF Newbie

Hi everyone!
Obviously I have the same problem...2K Rodeo...54K miles. Now let me ask you this: other than the fact that it's extremely annoying to be going through this and having that stupid CEL up at weird times, has it done anything else? Would it be so bad if I decide to put a piece of carboard to cover that and not look at it? What could happen? I fill up weekly and know how my truck is on gas (very good, by the way)...Will the computer tell my truck that it's out of gas or something and stop running? Your comments are very much appreciated. Thanks.
tshirton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #38
minest01
AF Newbie

Well I took the plunge and had it repaired at a local shop. 538.00 and everything is working fine.

end of story for me....
minest01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #39
djfrank70
AF Newbie

Maybe ya'll can help me out...? I have had a bad sending unit for a while, but lived with it. Well my wife ran the '99 Rodeo out of gas and I have not got it started since. I replaced the filter and the fuel pump. The fuel pump powers up and you can hear it prime, but no fuel is getting to the line. I removed the filter from the line and the line is bone dry. I watched as my friend tried to start the car with the filter completely off the line and no fuel spewed out or anything. Any suggestions? Does it need to be re-pressured or something? Thanks in advance
djfrank70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #40
gregminor23
AF Newbie

Does the problem with the sending unit cause it to use more gas? I suddenly went down to 80 miles per tank!! I used to get over 300 per tank. PLEASE HELP!
My CEL is on and the gas gauge seems drunk.
Also, it pulls hard right while driving. No one seems to be able to allign them. 2 places have sked me not to bring it back because they cant get it alligned.
gregminor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #41
tpique1
AF Newbie

Re: part number

I'm also having to change the EGR valve. The mechanic said I will have to use 93 octane fuel every 4th fill up to keep the EGR valve unclogged. Regular unleaded is what is clogging the valve. I just bought this 2000 Rodeo. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
tpique1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #42
canyonape
AF Newbie

Hey guys,
Might I suggest to all of those who are having problems with their sending units to go ahead and replace the entire fuel pump. I had the same problem at about 75K. CEL-Sending unit bad. Went to the dealer-500+ dollars. Purchased the sending unit for 35 bucks from the dealer. My nephew installed it in about 2 hours. Hes a mechanic and has access to a nice shop. Keep in mind, for diy you have to drop the gas tank to access the fuel pump. anyway, the CEL went out and ran fine for a while. At about 85K, the rodeo left me sitting on the interstate. No fuel. Therefore, i had to replace the fuel pump only 10000 miles after i replaced the sending unit. So I strongly suggest that if you are going to replace the SU, replace the pump also, you can get them at autozone or advance for around 150, and they come with the sending unit. Kill two birds with one stone!
canyonape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #43
creidl
AF Newbie

I have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo also & like everyone else I am having problems with the egr valve & had to deal with the fuel tank sending unit. It all started this summer when I bought the suv. Drove great at the car lot but same day going home engine light started blinking. Gages were all over the place & bad gass mileage. Took it back to the shop, they put on a new fuel tank sending unit. Not even by fall having engine liht blinking again. Now egr valve. Car acting funny.
creidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #44
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L
AF Newbie

I bought one of those fuel sending units from awnicol....

Saved me a hefty chunk o cheddar... and worked like a charm. Highly recommend it.

Dropping the fuel tank wasn't half as hard as I imagined it. Whole job took about 1.5 hours.
2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical