Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Rmker
AF Newbie

Honda D16Y8 swap for D15B7

Hello, new user, please forgive any ignorance. I have a 95 Honda Civic DX. It is a automatic with a D15b7 motor and a new 2 plug distributor, with harness connectors on both the drivers and passenger shock towers, that went belly up at 292,000. I have a D16Y8 that came from a 94 civic 4 door, LX, with a manual trans that I was told, was a swap also, but not sure what year the Y8 is, but it does have the harness with connectors for the drivers side only shock tower area and a single plug for the distributor. I want to swap the D16Y8 for the D15b7 and stay with the automatic the B7 was attached to. I no longer care to shift gears. I have read quite a bit about close swaps but none with this exact swap and don't want to do a mini-me, cause the y8 is ready to go and the B7 is shot inside, or if you can direct me to one I missed. I know with some massaging I can use the existing attachments: pwr steering pump, ac pump, alt and the like. I would really appreciate if anyone knows if there is a manual or write up for this exact swap, or if any of you have done this exact swap because I need help with the wiring and connector stuff. Like, is it better to use the existing b7 harness, which I believe is OBD1, on the Y8, or use the harness on the Y8 and adapt it. I really want the easiest way and am not the best at electrical modifications, well not good at all. I have also read it is best to go with a P28 ecu. About the p28 ecu is it better to find a automatic obd1 one that should plug right into the existing ecu harness, which would seem to be the most logical, but that is why I am asking or some other automatic ecu? Again I want the easiest route and want the vtech system to work on the Y8 and run better than the B7, I am not expecting the "Fast and Furious". It will be just a daily driver and need to be dependable. Plus I have the Y8 on the engine stand, ready to be mated with the auto. The y8 came with a P12-A02 ecu in the 94 car and again was mated with a manual trans, started and ran good and shifted good. The y8 only has 100,000 miles on it and in the teardown found it to be well maintained and has been refreshed some-water pump, all new seals and gaskets, etc. and came with long and short tube Spectre air cleaner, a nice 2 1/2 inch exhaust sys. with 4 into 2 into 1 headers both with 4 wire sensors in them. One in the headers 2 into 1 tube and one behind the exhst. pipe connection. Also I live in Minnesota and are pretty free with the ability to modify our cars and we do not have to have our emissions checked at all, not that I want to pollute anymore than the next guy. I did read the similar threads but would like to use most of what I have in hand except for the additional ecu if needed. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you! Chuck
Rmker is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV