Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lotus | Proton > Esprit
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
jsmi7
AF Newbie

Turbo Esprit tailgate release problem

The tailgate (rear hatch) release cable broke on my '84 Turbo Esprit. The wire broke a foot inside the cable and there is no way to reach it. Does anyone know any way to open the tailgate?
jsmi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Here's two ways to get into a '88 and up car. (bad and worse)
http://www.lotusespritworld.co.uk/EM...atchCable.html
Again, this is an '88+ gig. Might give you some ideas 'tho.
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
wayne barratt
AF Newbie

The cable on my 83 Turbo stretched and would no longer operate the release latches. I found that my cars previous owner had cut a hole behind the license plate to gain access to the release catches. The hole was covered with a piece of plasti about the same size and shape as the plate. I used silicone to seal it against water and rivetted it on for some form of security. I have heard of others cutting hole in trunk floor and one guy dremmelled out the rivnuts that hold the floor in place to gain access to catches.The cable Lotus used is the same stuff that is used for brakes on bicycles! I made up a replacement using cable from my local mountain bike shop. They kept the cable inner and outer ,sold itby the ft. and supplied me with new solderless nipples. I coppied the lenths of the old cable ,and re-used the nylon spacers .Be carefull not to loose the return springs and about the hardest part was threading the cable inner through the bulkhead and attaching it to the release handle and attaching the solderless nipple to it . I ended up drilling small hole in handle to pass inner cable through so I could tension cable as I tightened the solderless nipple. Whole job took a day, and tested patience to the max, Good Luck ,Wayne (83 Turbo Esprit)
wayne barratt is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lotus | Proton > Esprit