Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > S70
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
drmattdogg
AF Newbie

Brake Problems

I recently replaced my brakes myself and have had some problems. It has been over 3 months and they have been squeaking pretty bad, mostly on slow stops. I figure I am well past the "break in" stage. Also, I noticed my "ABS" and "trac off" lights have been coming on every so often. I have replaced brakes on cars a few other times with no problems, but those other cars did not have antilock brakes. I was wondering if there was some extra step I missed which only applies for cars with antilock brakes, or what exactly is going on here? Im considering taking it to a volvo dealership to see whats up. My car is a 1998 S70 btw.
drmattdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
jbbrakeman
AF Newbie

Re: Brake Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmattdogg
I recently replaced my brakes myself and have had some problems. It has been over 3 months and they have been squeaking pretty bad, mostly on slow stops. I figure I am well past the "break in" stage. Also, I noticed my "ABS" and "trac off" lights have been coming on every so often. I have replaced brakes on cars a few other times with no problems, but those other cars did not have antilock brakes. I was wondering if there was some extra step I missed which only applies for cars with antilock brakes, or what exactly is going on here? Im considering taking it to a volvo dealership to see whats up. My car is a 1998 S70 btw.
What you may have going on might have to do with exactly what all was involed and replaced when you changed your brakes. I can tell you that the squeaking is a result of overheating or glazing of the pads themselves, replacement of the rotors and pads (again unfortunatly) at the same time should alleviate that problem. Now if you just had an abs light on I would recomend a complete pressure bleed of the system by a trained professional, but since you also have a traction control light on this tells me that you may have a problem at the wheels with on of the sensors. With the abs system, you have a sensor conected to the wheel hub at each wheel. First, lift the wheel off the ground and check for any up and down play. If there is play, replace the wheel hub and sensor wire. If there is no play, check the sensor wire for any damage. Those are about the only things you can do yourself on that particular vehicle. You may be able to save yourself money, rather than going to the dealer, by finding a certified professional at a local shop who has an OBD2 scanor. The fact that you have a trouble light on is good because the car will tell the scaner exactly what is going on. Hope this helps.
Daryl
jbbrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
Johnny Mullet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet

These cars all have the same common issue of the ABS module going bad.

Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
drmattdogg
AF Newbie

well i actually had the car at a shop for an unrelated problem and asked them to go ahead and check to see if any codes showed up. they said no codes were showing up. the problem is the brake light comes on sometimes, then goes off. and i suppose for some odd reason its not saving the codes. now i know im not crazy, that damn light comes on. they said just bring it back if the light comes on and stays on??? the car runs fine aside from a little squeaky brakes, but it still stops with no problem.
drmattdogg is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > S70