Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
kekoa
AF Newbie

how do you swap an engine?

i wanna buy a 92 300 zx the engine needs to be changed how do you do that? what do i need to know?
kekoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
SilentNIght1647
AF Regular

Re: how do you swap an engine?

Well if your serious about it, it's fairly straight forward take everything off that hooks the motor to the car and get a cherry picker and hoist it out, some people take the hood off, I don't I hate adjusting the damn thing back to where it fits. Realistically swapping a motor is a big project that normally involves a lot of time and effort as well as a good tool box. I wouldn't reccomend a Z32 for a first timer they are fairly cluttered and it makes it very difficult to put everything back together the way it is supposed to be and if you don't the motor wont run.
SilentNIght1647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
CronuSurtr
AF Newbie

like he said it'd be a chore for a first timer, but don't let that discourage you (my first engine swap was a porche 911 THAT is a tough swap) if your really concidering it go to an auto parts store an get yourself a chiltons repair guide or something similar, it goes over a complete part for part tear down of the car, and the rebuild...

Vaya Con Dios and good luck
Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
robzone0911
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CronuSurtr
like he said it'd be a chore for a first timer, but don't let that discourage you (my first engine swap was a porche 911 THAT is a tough swap) if your really concidering it go to an auto parts store an get yourself a chiltons repair guide or something similar, it goes over a complete part for part tear down of the car, and the rebuild...

Vaya Con Dios and good luck
For starters, chilton doesn't have a repair manual on a Z32 available at a parts store. You can however, buy one on ebay for about 5 dollars plus shipping or I can just email you a copy of my electronic one for $5. The swap is not as hard as it may seem. But a manual is definetly a must. When you start removing shit a good rule of thumb is to lable every vacuum line so you know where it goes when you put the new motor in. You can also do some mods while the engine is out. Anyhow good luck.

robzone0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
zjagman
AF Newbie

Re: how do you swap an Z31 N/A into a Z31 turbo body.Makin he car into an N/A

I Have a queston .I have a 1986 300zx N/A. I am buying a 1986 zoozx turbo with a blown engine. What changes do I hve to make to put the N/A engine into the turbo body? I want to make the car an N/A without the turbo.
zjagman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)