Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
gipper51
AF Newbie

Just got an 01 GTP...anything I should look for?

Hi all. This is my first post here, and I apologize now if it's a redundant questions but I couldn't find a good answer using search. I just picked up a 2001 GTP sedan with 54,000 miles on it. I bought it at the pre-owned center of a big new Ford dealer (I know). The car is extremely clean and drives rock solid so far. Unfortunately the dealer could not give me maintenance records other than carfax reports which don't tell you squat. It does have an exhaust system, K&N filter and I think a chip in it but not sure. My question is are there any common problem areas I should look into to find out if a serious problem is looming? I know anything can happen but would just like to know if there's anything I should look out for with these cars? Any specific tests I should have a mechanic check? After owning it a week I can't find any signs of gasket or other fluid leaks and everything electronic appears to be working as it should. I love this car but being a performance model I just wonder if it was ever abused, but you'd never know by looking at it. Also what are opinions about switching to Mobil 1 for this car?

Thanks,
Gipper
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Just got an 01 GTP...anything I should look for?

Welcome to the forum.

With the low mileage it will be hard to tell until you accumulate some more miles. But it sounds solid. Just keep up with preventive maintenance.

As soon as you get a chance get the supercharger oil replaced because it will help extend the life of the SC and you have no records showing that it was performed. Dealers only check the level.

Also keep an eye out for any possible misfires or SES light later on because the 2001 - 2002 Grand Prixs including GTP have possible issues with the CAT convertor. GM had to extend the CAT emissions part of the warranty to 10 years or 120K miles, whichever comes first. A lot of 2001 - 2002 GP owners on the forum had flaky CAT convertors.

You should have no problems switching over to Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. After you do just keep a close eye on any possible seepage, if any, out of the engine seals and valve cover gaskets. You should be good to go.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
gipper51
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Just got an 01 GTP...anything I should look for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaylor3400
Welcome to the forum.

With the low mileage it will be hard to tell until you accumulate some more miles. But it sounds solid. Just keep up with preventive maintenance.

As soon as you get a chance get the supercharger oil replaced because it will help extend the life of the SC and you have no records showing that it was performed. Dealers only check the level.

Also keep an eye out for any possible misfires or SES light later on because the 2001 - 2002 Grand Prixs including GTP have possible issues with the CAT convertor. GM had to extend the CAT emissions part of the warranty to 10 years or 120K miles, whichever comes first. A lot of 2001 - 2002 GP owners on the forum had flaky CAT convertors.

You should have no problems switching over to Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. After you do just keep a close eye on any possible seepage, if any, out of the engine seals and valve cover gaskets. You should be good to go.

Thanks for the info. I will change the supercharger oil as suggested, something I wouldn't have thought of. I'm going to do the usual recommend 'new' used car stuff and have the tranny fluid/filter changed and consider a radiator flush. I'm just hoping the maintenance and mechanical condition match the body/interior shape. If they do it should have been a well-cared for vehicle.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
jimmyv-21
AF Regular

bnaylor is right on the supercharger oil- most superchargers dont last more the 100,000, but with preventative maintenance, you can get many more. a good tune-up wouldnt hurt anything either, since you are getting close to 60k. also, any fluid changes are good maintenance- notice i said change, not flush. your tranny has few enough miles on it that you could start the scheduled fluid/ filter changes. neither the tune up nor the fluid changes are required scheduled maintenance yet, but since you dont know the history and you want the vehicle to last, it is a good time to start. and as far as the mobil 1 oil, you can change over to it if your vehicle has less than 60,000 and was made on or after 2000 as stated on the mobil 1 web site. once you start though, it is recommended that you never change. and fyi- stay close to the forum- there are several people here such as bnaylor and gtp dad and richtazz that can answer almost any question. enjoy the new ride
jimmyv-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
gipper51
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv-21
bnaylor is right on the supercharger oil- most superchargers dont last more the 100,000, but with preventative maintenance, you can get many more. a good tune-up wouldnt hurt anything either, since you are getting close to 60k. also, any fluid changes are good maintenance- notice i said change, not flush. your tranny has few enough miles on it that you could start the scheduled fluid/ filter changes. neither the tune up nor the fluid changes are required scheduled maintenance yet, but since you dont know the history and you want the vehicle to last, it is a good time to start. and as far as the mobil 1 oil, you can change over to it if your vehicle has less than 60,000 and was made on or after 2000 as stated on the mobil 1 web site. once you start though, it is recommended that you never change. and fyi- stay close to the forum- there are several people here such as bnaylor and gtp dad and richtazz that can answer almost any question. enjoy the new ride
Thanks for the info. Well, I changed the supercharger oil this evening. The old stuff smelled pretty nasty but not overpowering. Took about a bottle and a half (6 oz) to fill it to the plug threads where the manual said. The dealer I bought it from did do a full "flush" to the tranny, and after talking with a local Pontiac dealer he said it shouldn't hurt it with the low miles. After poking around on the forum and looking at the car I discovered the previous owner installed the 3.4" pulley on the SC. Now I'm really curious about whether a chip is installed. The car will shift at 5800 from first to second when you put the hammer down. Does this sound right for a stock setup? I havn't done much reading on the computer parts yet, so pardon me if I sound ignorant using the term 'chip'.

One more thing... if I do switch to synthetic and it does leak, will the leaking go a way if I go back to regular oil or will I have to have gaskets and seals replaced? Thanks for all the help.

Gipper
Old 12-06-2005, 10:15 PM   #6
jimmyv-21
AF Regular

BIG RED LIGHT ON THE FLUSH. i know the car has only a few miles, but you have no idea how it was maintained. flushing the system dislodges all the built up sludge in your tranny and will remove most but not all of it. it will also shock the clutches, even on a car with low mileage. a fluid and filter change will replace approx 3/4 of the trans fluid, and there are no side effects. you cant ever go wrong just doing the fluid and filter. fyi- you can search this forum and others and find many stories where someone ended up replacing the tranny after a flush. good luck
Old 12-06-2005, 10:23 PM   #7
jimmyv-21
AF Regular

the 5800 rpms is right on the money for the shift points- reprogramming will move it to 6000
Old 12-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
gipper51
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv-21
BIG RED LIGHT ON THE FLUSH. i know the car has only a few miles, but you have no idea how it was maintained. flushing the system dislodges all the built up sludge in your tranny and will remove most but not all of it. it will also shock the clutches, even on a car with low mileage. a fluid and filter change will replace approx 3/4 of the trans fluid, and there are no side effects. you cant ever go wrong just doing the fluid and filter. fyi- you can search this forum and others and find many stories where someone ended up replacing the tranny after a flush. good luck

Yeah I know on the flush. I've aready read a few horror stories. I called the dealer to find out if they do a real flush or just a fluid change and they said it was a flush. I guess they don't know better but from what I understand a flush is just standard procedure when they get cars in on trade regardless. The Pontiac dealer didn't seem concerned when I told him and he said they do it alot on cars with that mileage without problems. He said not to do it if it had say 100,000, but otherwise should be OK and recommended having it done every 60,000. I know some dealers are ignorant, but I guess I'll find out. Well, I've got a 3yr/36,000 warranty with the car so I'm not gonna sweat too hard over it.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:39 AM   #9
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Just got an 01 GTP...anything I should look for?

I agree with Jimmy. Although you have a 3.4 SC pulley it sounds like you have a stock PCM. The only other way to tell is to open up the air box and see if you see logos/decals from DHP or Intense, etc. Also you won't be able to tell during the winter but you will have more cooling fan activity during the summer months with a re-programmed PCM because fan turn on points are 185 degrees.

On the synthetic oil, it is just one thing to check for. Chances are you will be OK. Syn oil even though it may be a similar viscosity and weight is thinner. The valve cover gaskets will probably start leaking around 80K miles or so regardless of regular or synthetic oil.

On the tranny flush just cross your fingers. The dealer's flush is actually a full or proper flush and not a fluid exchange. I believe the fluid exchange method is the problem maker. But the general concensus is not to do either just a pan drop and screen filter replacement. At least you have a warranty.

Good luck and enjoy your ride.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix