Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:08 AM   #106
dde2
AF Newbie

Re: Codes 171 & 174 TSB # 03-16-1 update

I got the $79 kit. Everything went fine, My check engine light has since come back on but I haven't had a chance to check the codes yet so I don't know if it is the same or a new problem.
dde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #107
mikemikemike
AF Newbie

I used the most excellent web site (http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar01.html) to fix my 2001 Windstar. I got the parts from the Ford Dealer. Started to take apart the engine, got to the throttle cable part and then got scared - no way I was gonna mess with those. I couldn't get to the gaskets under everything.

So, I ONLY replaced the 8 bolts with their green sleeves and then put everything back together. Didn't change any of the gaskets - didn't use a torque wrench, either. Been 2000 miles and no communistic check engine light has come on yet !

I found taking the plenum thing off wasn't that hard. Just slightly pushed up on the cowling with a long broom stick (used front of radiator as a fulcrum) with my left leg while I lifted the plenum up and rotated it clockwise.

mikpel@hotmail.com NH
mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:22 PM   #108
road_rascal
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to road_rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikemike
I found taking the plenum thing off wasn't that hard. Just slightly pushed up on the cowling with a long broom stick (used front of radiator as a fulcrum) with my left leg while I lifted the plenum up and rotated it clockwise.

mikpel@hotmail.com NH
Yikes. I hope you didn't bend the wiper motor arms .
Old 04-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #109
pperrichetti
AF Newbie

I am the owner of a 2001 Ford Windstar LX. The check engine light came on at about 78,000 miles. I checked the OBD and retrieved codes P0171 and P0174. I thoroughly cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor. I cleared the codes. It took about one month, and the codes are back. I have read it could be from the intake manifold runner control, or TSB 3-16-1. Is there any way to narrow it down? My extended warrany expired at 75,000 miles. I never had a problem with the check engine light until now.
pperrichetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:49 AM   #110
mikemikemike
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pperrichetti
I am the owner of a 2001 Ford Windstar LX. The check engine light came on at about 78,000 miles. I checked the OBD and retrieved codes P0171 and P0174. I thoroughly cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor. I cleared the codes. It took about one month, and the codes are back. I have read it could be from the intake manifold runner control, or TSB 3-16-1. Is there any way to narrow it down? My extended warrany expired at 75,000 miles. I never had a problem with the check engine light until now.
Follow this (http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar01.html)
Just replace a few gaskets and those bolts with the big plastic sleeves and the light code goes away. It is not the MAF. I tried that also and the light went out for a few hundred miles only.
mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #111
huskerdooo
AF Newbie

Hi,

I have used the kit. Most everything was ok. But Beware!

Do not use the PCV valve. The one in my kit was bad and cause SEVERE amounts of oil being sucked into the intake. Blue smoke was coming out of the exhaust big time.

Switched back to my original pcv and all was fine after that.
huskerdooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #112
cleveman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikemike
I used the most excellent web site (http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar01.html) to fix my 2001 Windstar. I got the parts from the Ford Dealer. Started to take apart the engine, got to the throttle cable part and then got scared - no way I was gonna mess with those. I couldn't get to the gaskets under everything.

So, I ONLY replaced the 8 bolts with their green sleeves and then put everything back together. Didn't change any of the gaskets - didn't use a torque wrench, either. Been 2000 miles and no communistic check engine light has come on yet !

mikpel@hotmail.com NH
I'm getting ready to do this repair myself, as well, and I must say I too get a little queezy when thinking about messing with the throttle / cruise control cables.

Can someone who has done this before either a) tell me that an intelligent, fairly smart guy can do that without much risk, or b) tell me that I can just pop off the top of the plenum, replace the isolator bolts and put it all back together and still solve the problem?
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #113
frostie
AF Newbie

Absolutely easy to do yourself. It is a 1 to 2 hour job that I did in my driveway. I also did not do the gaskets. Been about 5000 miles now without a CEL or stalling at idle.
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #114
cleveman
AF Newbie

Applied the TSB today following the instructions on http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar01.html... VERY helpful! Thanks!

A few comments / observations FWIW:
- took me almost exactly 4 hours... I didn't really expect it to take that long, in spite of what everyone else said, but I took it slow and had some trouble here and there - especially getting the Valve Cover off...
- I didn't take the plenum completely off / out - I gave up after trying to get all the vacuum lines off the back of it and just lifted it up (after removing the isolator bolts) to clean around the intake ports and change out the gaskets on the bottom of the plenum.
- I did take the cowling most of the way off... as mentioned it took a lot of time but made it a lot easier to get to the bolts on the back of the plenum, get the plenum off and back on, etc.
- I got all the parts as recommended on the site and installed them all - I got them at the local Ford dealer and paid $204... I think I got screwed on the price - maybe the isolator bolts? They charged me $8 for each bolt - is that right?

Anyway - the engine idles a LOT more smoothly, isn't knocking like it was before, and the CEL hasn't (yet) come back.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #115
JASONGIBSON
AF Newbie

For about the last year and half my check engine codes 171 and 174 would come on every week. I had the local mechanic replace the gaskets,seals, and bolts in the engine for around $130.00. After about two weeks the codes were back, this was getting very frustrating. I decided to try another direction. I started using the 93 octane gas from SHELL that cleans the gunky buildup in the engine. After two or three weeks the check engine light stopped coming on. I have now been six months with no check engine codes. Thank you Shell for quality gas.
JASONGIBSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #116
Triple G
AF Newbie

Hello all,
I am new to your fine forum, and I have the same issues with Codes 171 & 174. I have looked around alot throught this thread and have gotten great information. My Quick question is does all of this also apply to a 1998 Windstar with 3.8L engine? I see references to 1999-2003, but I have the same problem and intend to perform the repair proceedure myself if you think my 1998 has the same problem. If not, what should I begin to look for?
Thanks in advance
Guy
Triple G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 AM   #117
wallyj34
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple G
Hello all,
I am new to your fine forum, and I have the same issues with Codes 171 & 174. I have looked around alot throught this thread and have gotten great information. My Quick question is does all of this also apply to a 1998 Windstar with 3.8L engine? I see references to 1999-2003, but I have the same problem and intend to perform the repair proceedure myself if you think my 1998 has the same problem. If not, what should I begin to look for?
Thanks in advance
Guy

Same thing here is this for the 1998 ford windstar 3.8L? I am all gung ho to try this but just gotta know if it is for this model.. Thanks in advance
wallyj34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:09 AM   #118
huskerdooo
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyj34
Same thing here is this for the 1998 ford windstar 3.8L? I am all gung ho to try this but just gotta know if it is for this model.. Thanks in advance
No, its only applicable to engines 1999 and after.

Your 1998 model should have a metal upper intake manifold. The problem was when in 1999 they went to a cheesy plastic piece of crap to save a few bucks.

But I am not bitter.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:50 AM   #119
wallyj34
AF Newbie

Thanks for the response. I have these codes and I am get another codes for a misfire in cylinder 2. Could this be why I am recieving these codes? When you say upper manifold are talking about the black thing on the top of the engin or is this the plenum?
wallyj34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #120
huskerdooo
AF Newbie

I would think the misfire would not cause these codes. These codes are for too lean, meaning the 02 sensor sees too much air. I would think a misfire would go the other way.
There are a number of components that can contribute to a lean condition. I have a 99 and I never resolved the issue, even by performing the required bolt fix.
You should have a metal upper intake on your engine, I am not sure I would call it a plenum. Regardless, you should not have the bolt issue on your vehicle. The bolt issue is due to isolators needed to bolt the cheesy plastic intake on the metal lower portion.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar