Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
MR2vsAMXbeast
AF Regular

Question CT20b vs TD06

Which would be the better upgrade for horse power and reliability?
MR2vsAMXbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:14 PM   #2
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

i would have to say ct20b fro reliability since it is a stock turbo and td06 for hp...
ghetto7o2azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

Re: CT20b vs TD06

ct20 as an upgrade???
Old 09-21-2004, 10:39 PM   #4
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

if its a 2nd gen then some people do swap the ct26 for ct20b
Old 09-21-2004, 10:42 PM   #5
JekylandHyde
AF - Advisor

TRD2000, the OEM turbo is the CT26.
The CT20B is an upgrade.

MR2vsAMXbeast, the question is what do you want the car to do?
The CT20B will spool up faster than the TD06, but the TD06 will have much more "up top".

For a street driven car, the CT20B may be a great choice ... especialyl if you autocross. If you are hitting road courses or drag racing, the TD06 is the better choice.

Properly set up, I would not suspect either of them to be more reliable than than other.
You do have some risk of TD06's spiking with really open exhaust systems.

The CT20B, with lots of supporting mods. can be pushed to 300 rwhp.
The TD06, with lots of supporting mods. can be pushed to 400 rwhp.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:49 PM   #6
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

pretty small upgrade... and isn't the ct20 older? although the third gen engines did use it, while the second gen had ct26.. odd or is it just me.

weird though for an upgrade cause if your paying you might as well get something a bit bigger... i would have thought...
Old 09-21-2004, 10:58 PM   #7
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

the ct20b turbo came stock on the 3rd gen 3sgte engines... which is a factor in the 20hp gain between the jdm 1993 - 1994 mr2

oh yeah and the ct20 is a completely different turbo that doesnt even bolt to the 3sgte engine... so dont forget the "b"
Old 09-22-2004, 01:41 AM   #8
MR2vsAMXbeast
AF Regular

I do like the fact that the CT20b is a reliable turbo and I like the fact that the TD06 can see 400 horses (with supporting mods), but (I have heard) here in Texas they are starting a new deal with inspections. I do not know for sure if its going to happen or not but there is suposta be something new where they check for exhaust pollution during inspections. Will both of the turbos fail? Right now I have the Apexi N1 exhaust. From what I understand the exhaust system is pretty free flowing. My MR2 is not a daily driver, and I plan for it to be a drag/road course type car. Thank you for your time!
MR2vsAMXbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:22 AM   #9
JekylandHyde
AF - Advisor

Re: Re: CT20b vs TD06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD2000
pretty small upgrade...
But a significant one for some owners. It has fast spool like the CT26, but can flow to redline which the 26 can't do.
You also get to retain the OEM catalytic converter if it is required for emmissions testing which no other turbo can do.
So it is a great upgrade for those wiht limited options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD2000
weird though for an upgrade cause if your paying you might as well get something a bit bigger... i would have thought...
Again, depends on your goals. Something bigger, will almost always have much more lag ... more lag is horrible depending on the type of racing you do. A CT20B kick the TD06's butt an autocross course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2vsAMXbeast
I do not know for sure if its going to happen or not but there is suposta be something new where they check for exhaust pollution during inspections. Will both of the turbos fail?
No way we can answer that. It depends on what emmissions they are testing for.
The TD06 removes the main cat ... the CT20 can retain it ... that being said, you chances of passing emmissions is better with the CT20.

There is nothing the supports the claim that the CT20 is more reliable than the TD06.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:17 PM   #10
MR2turbo93
AF Enthusiast

If you want a good turbo go with the garrett GT28RS a.k.a. "the disco patato" it is the fastest spooling turbo around and can push 350 horsepower.Its right down the middle of the road between the CT20b and the TD06.And of course you need the bottom end to back it up(gt28rs). Check out extremeboost.com out of Canada they have an entire setup for it but if it was up to me i'd use a different down pipe and exhaust.But a cheaper solution it pushing the stock turbo to its limit, thats what im doing. Once that goes my mister is getting a Disco Patato form the good folks at garrett.
MR2turbo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:46 AM   #11
JekylandHyde
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2turbo93
If you want a good turbo go with the garrett GT28RS a.k.a. "the disco patato" it is the fastest spooling turbo around and can push 350 horsepower.
And that "claim" is based on what?
I have not seen anything to suggest this turbo is any mroe "amazing" than the T3/T4s and TD06s out there.

Quote:
Its right down the middle of the road between the CT20b and the TD06.
And so are many T3/T4 set ups.

Quote:
And of course you need the bottom end to back it up(gt28rs).
You will not need to do the bottom end with any specific turbo. Having to do the bottom end depends on power output, not turbo size. The stock MR2 bottom end has been proven up to 500 rwhp when the system is properly set up. Incorrect set up systems have blown up with as little as 260 rwhp.

Quote:
Check out extremeboost.com
Check out this:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=31838
Buyer beware.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:05 AM   #12
MR2turbo93
AF Enthusiast

its based on there (garrett, Turbo Mag, SCC, and many other creditably mag's) statements. And if your shooting for high horsepower, yes the mr2s do have an extremely strong bottom end the has been proven in countless number of WRC victories but do you want to be shooting for 400hp with a 10 year or older bottom end without even rebuilding it and getting some fresh rings in there? cause I wouldn't. oh and check garrett's website because they avertise the GT28RS as the turbo that makes superchargers obsilete they have the specs to back up their claims but if your still a non believer you can also look at SCC's Project Silvia
Old 12-03-2004, 09:10 AM   #13
MR2turbo93
AF Enthusiast

Dont get me wrong the T3/T4 from turbonetics is a great turbo and comes with the best warranty im just saying for road racing/street i'd go GT28RS but Drag is another story
Old 12-03-2004, 10:24 AM   #14
JekylandHyde
AF - Advisor

Quote:
its based on there (garrett, Turbo Mag, SCC, and many other creditably mag's) statements.
Show me real world expereince in the MR2 and then you have me.
... and not "dynos" from extremeboost.

Quote:
but do you want to be shooting for 400hp with a 10 year or older bottom end without even rebuilding it and getting some fresh rings in there? cause I wouldn't.
Maybe you aren't familiar with my turbo MR2?
It's 15 years old, 200,220 original miles on the engine 351 rwhp, over 120 drag racing runs (most in the 11s/12s), 5 or 6 SCCA Autocrosses, over 20 dyno pulls and 3 Solo 1 Hill Climb events.

And yes, I am going for over 400 RWHP this winter as long as my car gets a clean bill of health from the doctor.

Quote:
oh and check garrett's website because they avertise the GT28RS as the turbo that makes superchargers obsilete they have the specs to back up their claims but if your still a non believer you can also look at SCC's Project Silvia
As noted above, I would be more convinced with comparisons done on the MR2 against other turbos.

Quote:
Dont get me wrong the T3/T4 from turbonetics is a great turbo and comes with the best warranty im just saying for road racing/street i'd go GT28RS but Drag is another story
First, I have never indicated "turbonetics" ... there are other companies that make T3T4s. Secondly, I have spent this entire year showing what my turbo can do in legal road races on public roads. There is no denying the success of what my turbo has done and there are better T3T4 configurations out there over what I am using.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #15
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: CT20b vs TD06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JekylandHyde
There is nothing the supports the claim that the CT20 is more reliable than the TD06.
once again its not a ct20... the ct20 turbo wont bolt onto the 3sgte engine.. i forget which one it does though.. i could probably find a site in 5 mintues but u can do that yourself...

and both may be reliable do you really think that the td06 is going to have better reliability than a stock turbo?? especially from toyota... unless of course it is used.. but im assuming were talking about new turbos

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S