Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > Boxster
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 12:26 PM   #1
Boxsterdave
Banned

Porsche Boxster V Subaru WRX STI

The same question always comes to mind. The Porsche boxster V Subaru WRX STI. Well this is a rundown. 5 days ago i was out in my 98 boxster, around 221 bhp (evo kit added ) and a subura wrx sti passed me. Now my boxster has blacked out windows and looks intimedating on the road... so, this guy in this brand new subura get level with me.. so i slowly drops it to second gear and we both go for it.... i was level with the subura untill around 100 mph.. then i eged foward.. then at 120.. we we almost level.....coming to 130 i was ahead... then the subaru dropped in the inside lane.. i was at 140 by then, and he stopped racing me.. , i couldnt understand why??? i was speaking to a freind who also owns a subaru, and he says that... the subarus engine can melt the second piston at high speeds, so he would have backed off.. well how can they be faster and better??? the build quality is poor.

I was well ahead of the subaru even before he backed off. He underestimated the boxster.

Also the reason why i matched his car from 0-100 is because of my quick shift gear box ( according to a freind in posrche ). We can reach 96 mph in 3rd gear i belive.

I also have a video of this race. The subaru, you can see he was gunning for it.. relised he couldnt beat me.. and backed off

Porsche Boxster 1 - 0 Subaru WRX STI
Boxsterdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:16 AM   #2
PorscheFanatic
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to PorscheFanatic
Re: Porsche Boxster V Subaru WRX STI

Can you give me a link to were you got the evo kit or a pic of it, and tell me information on it....thanks..and by the way can i see the video of the race sumhow??
PorscheFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 12:53 AM   #3
defex
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to defex
The Subaru isn't built to be faster at higher speeds. It's geared so that it accelerates quickly so the top speed suffers greatly. They're not highway racers by any means.
defex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
Porsche_Daddy
AF Enthusiast

Sorry to call you out to Dave, but there seems to be alot of boxster owners here that don't have a clue. You say you make 221hp with an evo kit? I assume you mean the air intake that evo makes for the car. If you have the intake, and only the intake, your car would have gained possibly 5hp at the rear wheels. 2.5L boxsters like yours have 201hp at the crank which gives you approx 175hp at the wheels. With that super evo intake you put on you maybe have 180hp so please show us a dyno sheet of your 2.5L that has box S power and I will shutup (;

Cheers.
Porsche_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
HB.
AF Newbie

This is a real joke

Just like Porshe Daddy said the evo intake only gives about 5 rwhp if that. The '97- '99 models dynoed around 136whp, so I'm a bit lost where the 221 came from.

Good thing this guy was banned.
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 AM   #6
Cinque
AF Newbie

I had a run with a genuine sti around six months ago. I won't lie. He beat me off the line but I got him and passed him as soon as I left second gear. Rexys are four wheel drives so off the line there aren't many cars that will challenge them. But as far as torque goes.... My Boxter S had all over the 2004 sti. I don't know what that guy was talking about. Theres no way a Boxter, especially his year would keep up with a fully fledged sti.
Cinque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
Eli at Pelican
AF Newbie

I doubt this guy was actually telling the truth here..... Race me and I'll bail out at less than 140 on a public road.... It's called "jail time"......

-Eli

Bent Wheels? Curb Rash? I can help!

Porsche 996
BMW M3
Eli at Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
koya1893
AF Newbie

I am ne at this forum, so forgive me for jumping in to this kneep of brown stuff from the initial thread. The first year the Boxster was introduce with some power and torque that would put a question in anyone's mind as to why do I want race you was 2000, which is the S model. I have a stock 2000 S with only the K&N filter and de-snorkle mod to it does give the sti a hard time then again I really don't because I live the racing and bragging rights tittle to be proven on the race track. I have friends who loves the sti they even tell me that I have more to prove in the Boxster S to give them a hard time but we can't put them side by side and drag or on the same course because each car has it's advantage over the other. The claim from the initial thread of 221 hp, unless your car was accidently retro fitted with a different Porsche engive while being built your data is hard to accept. hard data will make a believer out of me.

Ben
koya1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinque
I had a run with a genuine sti around six months ago. I won't lie. He beat me off the line but I got him and passed him as soon as I left second gear. Rexys are four wheel drives so off the line there aren't many cars that will challenge them. But as far as torque goes.... My Boxter S had all over the 2004 sti. I don't know what that guy was talking about. Theres no way a Boxter, especially his year would keep up with a fully fledged sti.
What alot of people don't understand about racing a suby on the street is that 9 times out of 10 we aren't launching the thing to its greatest potential because we don't want the thing to break. After one good launch my clutch is really soft from the heat and I only have 230 at the crank. I think the STI has a better clutch, but launching it is a very violent act. Based on my cars quarter mile time, if properly launched, it should take you till the top of second just to pass my plain jane wrx at which point you would hand me my ass. The STI is a good 1/4 mile car if the driver knows how and isn't afraid to use the equipment.
2005 Nissan Frontier ext cab 4x4 4.0L-Sold
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500r-Sold
2004 Yamaha FZ1 Silver/Black- Sold
2008 Mazdaspeed 3-In the driveway
lamehonda is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > Boxster