Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 01:01 PM   #46
earlcarter3
AF Newbie

trd 2000

Well if he is talk'n about the NSX 3.0 or 3.2 liter V-6's then he need's to straighten that up, because they are totally diferent beast from the regular stock accord engine. I know everything about about the NSX, and it's potential and would'nt dare compare it to a camry's V-6. There is a big difference there; being that the NSX's engine's were built to be in a sports car, and the V-6 I'm putting in my car was made for a family sedan. But, he did'nt say NSX, he said accord. though, with the right amount of tuning this V-6 can and will be a beast. Don't get me wrong though, if I had $40,000 dollars I would buy a NSX, but since I don't I think that the Mr2 with a V-6 swap will work just fine. Espectially, after I finish all of the work that I want to do to it. Also, yeah the NSX's engine would be probably a sinceble idea being as though it's in a mid engine car already, but where are you going to find one without giving up one of you three legs, plus if you already have a Mr2 turbo the camry V-6 bolt's right to the trans. Yes, the 3s-gte motor is a work of art and has potential (980hp at pikes peek was the most I've heard), but so would any car with a turbo on it. One observation that I have made is that the Honda motor's with V-tec lack a little torque but is made up for in the top end with high rpm's, while the toyota V-6 is a torque moster out of the box and has a broad power band. So, with the right amount of tuning and both engine's on the same horsepower playing field and I guarentee you that the toyota V-6 will be at least the same if not better.
earlcarter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:20 PM   #47
ac427cpe
two wheels

Send a message via AIM to ac427cpe
Re: V6 MR2 - Who's done it or researched it?

the v6 will be more unique, and you'll have bottom end torque!

have you thought of doing a v8 instead?

i know how

No more project cars. I wonder how long that will last...
ac427cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:23 PM   #48
MR2&S15
AF Newbie

I Have never seen a V6 done tho it would probably be less complicated then the V-8 I saw done took lots of modification to get the motor to fit the trunk had to be cut out but it is possible
MR2&S15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:13 PM   #49
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

Good Call Earl... I Hadn't Bothered Going Back Past The In Line Bmw V6, And The Other Bmw V6's (duh???). Total Agreement, Nsx Engine Would Be Very Hard To Get But Ultra Cool... If It's Between Honda And Toyota Family V6's I'd Stick With Toyota!
TRD2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:48 PM   #50
earlcarter3
AF Newbie

v-8

I thought about the V-8 when gut from mt job told me about a gut they know who has a small block chevy in his, but then I thought about the weight, fabrication, etc. and I said that a V-6 with a turbo would be faster and still have enough low and top end power to stave a V-8 off down a straight away, or street plus I can do the swap for so much more less.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:43 PM   #51
MR2&S15
AF Newbie

true.. the v-6 just sounds less complicated the one i had seen was from a guy i knew took a tundra V-8 supercharged it and droped it in but it took cuting away the trunk area heavy rear suspension, a custom plate made to adapt the tranny, custome motor mounts ect.. ect.. plus adding counter weight in the frount to keep the weight balanced properly but it was nice when it was done but cost a ton. if i were going to do a V-6 application i would definetly stay with toyota like the 3VZFE then turbo charge it or twin :-) depending on you wallet but even turbo charging a v-6 if not made for it i would recomend swaping the pistons for low compresion pistons and swap valves and cams but thats just me..
MR2&S15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:09 PM   #52
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

Sorry...i've Really Gone Off Chevy's Since Their Last Technical Development In The 40's.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:52 PM   #53
earlcarter3
AF Newbie

mr2&s15

Exactly! That V-8 swap will cost one of your three legs there Sir! So, stick with the V-6. It will be a better around performer and for alot less money. As far as the 3vz motor, it's almost the same motor with the exception of the 3vz's heavy (469lbs) but stout iron block, which is good for a high output turbo engine, and it still uses a distributer for it's ignition system which is cheaper to maintain. This is also a good motor to swap. Good choice and good comments!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:15 AM   #54
Bill Strong
AF Regular

well since I have the ONLY V8 MR2, and I will tell you that it is not easy and it is not cheap. the whole car must be re-engineered. Hell I have over $5000 in computers just to run the damn things... but having a MK1 that can do 190+ mph is pretty cool.

http://www.v8mr2.com
The Internets Largest Toyota MR2 Community
http://www.mr2ownersclub.com
Bill Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:35 PM   #55
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

and hows THAT handle then?
Old 07-26-2004, 07:39 PM   #56
redmk1na
AF Newbie

if bill strong can fit a v8 in a mk1 ya better belive ya can fit a v6
redmk1na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #57
ssjohnson98
AF Newbie

Re: Re: V6 MR2 - Who's done it or researched it?

I have a 93 mr2 turbo, and had a good 5 large set aside for the 1mz aluminum block, but there seems to be a lot of "engine sludge" talk about toyota town, maybe I should go with the 3sgte series 3 motor instead..........cause if my engine sludges up, not under factory warranty, I'll burn the nearest dealership down, i swear fore god, i will.
And who knows of a good mr2 man in the Miami area? Summer is coming!
ssjohnson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:56 AM   #58
new2mr2
AF Newbie

Talking Re: V6 MR2 - Who's done it or researched it?

Not only have they put a V6 in an MKI but try a North Star V8! Check this out: www.v8mr2.com
new2mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #59
kungfujerry
AF Newbie

How about a H-6 like a Porsche Boxter engine and tranny?
kungfujerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #60
MR2-MK3
AF Newbie

Bill Strong still out here? I was watching the Toy-Star build up a couple of years back. Just wondering how this Cadillac V8/MR2MK1 marriage finally turned out. Anyone know of any pics or video of the finished monster? Doesn't look like www.v8mr2.com has been updated in a couple of years. Just really curious about this project.
MR2-MK3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S