Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 05:31 PM   #31
S|L3NoZ
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to S|L3NoZ
Yeah...... But.....Somebody told me so and now I know that headers dont go with turbo..... Beginner's mistakes
S|L3NoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:41 AM   #32
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Quote:
Originally posted by S|L3NoZ
I'd like to reach 300HP and over depending on the cost and I'll probably start with an LS. But I'm hesitating between LS and CRV so.....give me info on those 2. Thx
Well if 300 hp is your goal, here's some info.
The LS is 142 hp stock. You will need approxamlty (in thoery) 16.3 psi to getth LS to 300 hp. since the n/a air presure in the cylinder is 14.7 psi...doubleing it in thoery doubles the output. You would need 16.3 psi, or a pressure ratio of 2.11, to achive 300 hp. If you are to produce 300 hp with the LS, you will need 30 lbs/air per minute to reach the goal. With these facts, you can start looking for a turbo. Look at the compressor maps, The Horizontal axis is air flow lbs/min. You will want to go to the spot on the map where 30 is located. The go to the vertcial axis, this is the pressure ratio. You will go to the spot where 2.11 is at. Then follow both these out to where they meet on the graph. You want the point the meet at to be in the 73% efficeny island (oval where the 73% efficeny range for the turbo is). If the meet outside of this range,like at 65% for example, it is best to seek a different turbo. I hope this helps out a little bit. I have been quite busy lately, but I will do some research if I can and see what I can pull up if I have time. If you want to start looking on your own, remember, a pressure ratio of 2.11 (16.3psi, 1.11 bar) and you need to flow 30 lbs/min of air for 300hp. Look for the a turbo where the point on the compressor map these two numbers meet falls in the 73% efficeny island. I hope this helps out a little.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:07 AM   #33
S|L3NoZ
AF Regular

Yeah it helped me a lot One thing.....Can anybody tell me some turbo brand name!? There is Garrett.....but that's all I know
Old 08-12-2003, 07:11 PM   #34
Thepeug
Quem queritis?

Send a message via AIM to Thepeug
Greddy, Apex'i, Edlebrock, Turbonetics, a bunch of universal turbos. Not much, but that's all I can think of.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:16 AM   #35
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally posted by S|L3NoZ
Yeah it helped me a lot One thing.....Can anybody tell me some turbo brand name!? There is Garrett.....but that's all I know
I know Greddy uses Mitsubishi turbochargers in there kits. For example, the turbo they use in the kit for your engine (as well as the GSR) is the Mitsubish TD05H-18G 8cm2 turbo. I am not saying this is the greatest turbo to use, just saying Mitsubishi is the turbo brand greddy uses.
XS-engineering uses there own turbo, I do belive. I could be wrong.

Other manufactorers of Turbos (that I know of for sure) include Garrett, as you know, and Turbonetics.
Most pre-made turbo kit you buy seem to use either a Mitsubishi turbo, Garrett, or Turbonetics turbo.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:59 PM   #36
S|L3NoZ
AF Regular

The only compressor maps I found was on turbonetics.com.... I found the turbo that was 2.11 pressure ratio, 30 lbs/min and 73% effiency. On turbonetics.com, if I read the compressor map properly, it would be the TO4B V1/V2. Notice me if I'm wrong......I'd like to know which company you guys think is the best if you have any idea about it. I have planty of questions. I'll probably start another topic for this but before, I'll try to make my decision on a turbo on this topic. Thx a lot eckoman_pdx and Thepeug
Old 08-16-2003, 02:20 AM   #37
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: GSR or CR-V????

Quote:
Originally Posted by S|L3NoZ
The only compressor maps I found was on turbonetics.com.... I found the turbo that was 2.11 pressure ratio, 30 lbs/min and 73% effiency. On turbonetics.com, if I read the compressor map properly, it would be the TO4B V1/V2. Notice me if I'm wrong......I'd like to know which company you guys think is the best if you have any idea about it. I have planty of questions. I'll probably start another topic for this but before, I'll try to make my decision on a turbo on this topic. Thx a lot eckoman_pdx and Thepeug
Turbonnetics is a perfectly reputable company. They make good turbo's. If you want to check out other companies, you might have to call and find out how you can see the compressor maps. I know Garrett makes good turbo's too. You'll be fine with either of those 2 companies. Turbonetcs, Garrett, they in general produce good turbos. Those 2 companies would be fine choices. HKS may make their own turbos, but I am not sure, so yoiu'll have to check. Also, don't forget the Turbo timer. A boost controller is obivous (manual oor electronics, which I perfer). But don't foret that turbo timers. It will help save your turbo, allowing for proper cool down after driving.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:06 PM   #38
S|L3NoZ
AF Regular

Is there any other modifications I could do on my turbo B18B1 to make it more powerful and reliable??? Like rods, pistons,crankshaft,etc. Another question I didn't get any response to, which head should I go with??? Some told me to go with stock LS head but I'd like to go with DOHC instead of SOHC. I got some much questions that I'm scared to miss something when building the engine
Old 08-16-2003, 10:12 PM   #39
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Is there any other modifications I could do on my turbo B18B1 to make it more powerful and reliable??? Like rods, pistons,crankshaft,etc. Another question I didn't get any response to, which head should I go with??? Some told me to go with stock LS head but I'd like to go with DOHC instead of SOHC. I got some much questions that I'm scared to miss something when building the engine
The LS head IS DOHC...it's just non-vtec. The LS is a B18B1 (94+) or B18A1 (90-93). The LS is a 1834 cc (1.8 liter) 4 cylinder, 16 vavle DOHC motor. All B series motors are DOHC. So yes, go with the LS head, it's fine. Whoever told you the LS is SOHC don't have a clue what they are saying, cuz the LS is DOHC. The only reason people take the LS head off is they want an LS-Vtec motor, so they put on a VTEC B16A or GSR head... but thats more of a N/a motor build in general. For forced induction, the stock LS head is great. The LS/Vtec will allow for a greater base HP..so more at the same boost, but for turbo, vtec cams high lift can cause spooling problems for the turbo at high rpm's. Also, you shouldn't rev the LS block much above 7K until you plan to re-build the motor to handle high 8000 plus rpm revs. For a Turbo, stick with the LS head, it IS DOHC. I have a a 97 B18B1 in my civic. as I said....LS = non-vtec DOHC head. Also, in general, any mods you do to the engine (not CAI or exhaust) to make extra HP before turbo, will rersult in a higher boost'd HP in the end. For rods and pistons, you are putting in low c/r pistons that are stronger with stronger rods...and closing the deck, stronger internals all around....valves, springs, etc...to allow the motor to be able to handle boost above 12 psi the LS can take in stock from. This will allow the motor to be able to handle more power, which= more boost, making it more reliable at this boost as well. Although most ppl do not recomend doing an LS/Vtec turbo (me included), if done and built properly, it can create one hell of an engine, and reliabel too. I know of someone who did all the work and built it themselves (they have there own machine shop and an engineering degree) who has a 500 HP boosted LS/Vtec. Of course, they did it correctly, so it works. It was very important to get the correct FMU and injectors, fuel pump as well. But don't over-rev it becuase it has vtec all of a sudden. The main problems with LS/Vtec's is people would really can't build them do, and the bad build don't last, plus the person over-rev's the motor to like 8K cuz they suddenly have vtec.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:14 AM   #40
S|L3NoZ
AF Regular

My father has his own machine shop......I'm the boss's son so......you know what it means I can do whatever I want for free......
Old 08-17-2003, 05:26 AM   #41
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
My father has his own machine shop......I'm the boss's son so......you know what it means I can do whatever I want for free......
That would be nice to have...free access to a machine shop Machine work on the block would be much cheaper, lol. So would closing the deck, working on the quench area, etc. Ahh, that would be very nice to have. It certainly would save costs. That's cool that your father has hs own machine shop, so you can get machine work done free.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:53 PM   #42
S|L3NoZ
AF Regular

What does C/R means and CAI
Old 08-17-2003, 05:22 PM   #43
S|L3NoZ
AF Regular

I'll try to gather as much informations as I can to do machine works by myself on my engine to make it real fast and powerful. With all the infos you gave me eckoman_pdx, I'm beginning to understand stuff that will really help me. Any infos you have to give me will be appreciate. I'm from Quebec and I don't know a lot of people with experiences that can really help me. Most people here makes modifications on the exterior of their car to attract girls and 'coz their car looks good, they say that it is the fastest of all. You probably know what I mean. Serious tuner like me are rare over here,that's why I need to go on forum like this one to learn about REAL tuning. Continue your great work
Old 08-18-2003, 12:14 AM   #44
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
I'll try to gather as much informations as I can to do machine works by myself on my engine to make it real fast and powerful. With all the infos you gave me eckoman_pdx, I'm beginning to understand stuff that will really help me. Any infos you have to give me will be appreciate. I'm from Quebec and I don't know a lot of people with experiences that can really help me. Most people here makes modifications on the exterior of their car to attract girls and 'coz their car looks good, they say that it is the fastest of all. You probably know what I mean. Serious tuner like me are rare over here,that's why I need to go on forum like this one to learn about REAL tuning. Continue your great work
I know exactly what you mean about slappin on a body kit and thinkin yur car's fast as hell, lol. I call it VHP, or Visual Horsepower. Also, C/R= Comperssion Ratio, CAI = Cold Air Intake.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:46 AM   #45
S|L3NoZ
AF Regular

How do I know which size of injectors will be necessary for my turbo setup??? Another question.....How did you know what type of turbo was necessary to achieve 300HP??? I'd like to know how because if I decide to make 350-400HP for exemple, I'd like to be able to find the good size by myself. Thx

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical