Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 02:51 PM   #1
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hermunn123
smart people come here

this is kind of a follow up to a post that never received any replies. i would like to get/find information on the engineering aspect of cars. what i mean is something like this... which suspension is better and why? which chassis is better and why? why are nikasil coated cylinders better? stuff like that. i know the basics, but i would like to know more. if you know of any books, websites, magazines, or anything that would be of great help. thanks

Please impede from anathematizing me just because I elocute loquacious locutions more Brobdingnaging than one could elucidate with a perspicacity as Lilliputian as your own.
hermunn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 08:00 AM   #2
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

Oh, my you've just asked about the biggest question! You say noone replies to this question. The reason why is that there is no one suspension/engine/ect that is better than any other. This is because in engineering many times comprimises are made. Price versus performance is the most common comprimise. One cannot sell a carbon-fiber chassis, V-12 engined, pushrod suspension car for 12,000$. No one type of part is better, just for a lower cost, easier availability, or is more relaible. I hope this answers your question.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 01:00 PM   #3
Hudson
Old Mod

That last post only scratched the surface of why there's no ONE best suspension/engine/transmission/etc. type.

Each design has it's forte just as every car has it's area. While a Yugo can't compete on many levels with Rolls-Royce, there are people for whom the Yugo is the best car. In the same way, there are applications where pushrod engines are better than OHC engines...where MacPherson strut suspensions beat double-wishbone...etc.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 05:20 PM   #4
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

ya, i understand all that. i'll try to word it better. what are the pros and cons of each thing...

if there aren't any good resources for that, how about a good explanatory resource on anything car-wise..

Please impede from anathematizing me just because I elocute loquacious locutions more Brobdingnaging than one could elucidate with a perspicacity as Lilliputian as your own.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:13 AM   #5
CraigFL
AF Regular

I'm not sure you're going to find a list of the pros and cons because that varies with opinion as well as technology. With technology changing so rapidly, what we think is not feasible today may be easily engineered tomorrow. For example, most vehicles are unit bodies today when in the past, cars were bodies set on a stressed frame. As finite element technology and manufacturing processes advance, we are approching mass produced carbon fiber/ glued bodies which were unheard of 20 years ago.

Eventually everthing will be controlled by "wire" as mechanical systems are replaced.
CraigFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 07:48 AM   #6
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

Amen
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 11:57 AM   #7
texan
Writer Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by hermunn123
ya, i understand all that. i'll try to word it better. what are the pros and cons of each thing...

if there aren't any good resources for that, how about a good explanatory resource on anything car-wise..
The best online resource I've ever found for various technology explanations is Autozine Technical School. Though the writer's Eglish skills are a little lacking, the overall feel there is by far the best online IMO.

I could give you breakdowns of the various suspension designs and their relative pros and cons, but as others said it would just be my unqualified opinion. What specifically would you like to see a writeup of? I am always looking for a good question to spark off new articles.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:39 PM   #8
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

ya, i've been an avid reader of Autozine and his school for some time now. it is a real informative site. there isn't a specific area, i just want to learn about everything. anything you write, i will read.

Old 12-19-2001, 05:25 AM   #9
DAINTY
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to DAINTY
Very cool link for you..

DAINTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 05:34 AM   #10
DAINTY
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to DAINTY
2 Hermunn 123

Oh you know i`m interesting same things. "i would like to get/find information on the engineering aspect of cars. what i mean is something like this... which suspension is better and why? which chassis is better and why? why are nikasil coated cylinders better?"
And i seek that kind information in inet very often.
Please if you find some interesting link e-mail me or write this at this forum.
P.S. I have an automotive engineer but i know in basic only about random car`s technic (about 70-80 years) and i search information about new modern cars` technic.
Sorry my awesome english.
DAINTY is offline   Reply With Quote