Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
gw84
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to gw84
driver door is stuck closed, won't open

The door handle isn't broken as far as I can tell, I just went to get in the car one day, put the key in the door lock, turned it to the right like I always do and the door wouldn't open. After trying a few times I went to the passenger side and got in, hit the unlock button to unlock all the doors and the driver door still wouldn't open. I took the trim piece off (the little piece that covers the door lock) the inside of the door and attempted to manually unlock the door by pulling the rod but to no avail.

Any idea what I should do next? It seems like I would have to have the door open to get whole inside door panel off so I'm not really sure what to do

1st gen lumina

This ain't your grandma's car!!
gw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: driver door is stuck closed, won't open

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw84 View Post
The door handle isn't broken as far as I can tell, I just went to get in the car one day, put the key in the door lock, turned it to the right like I always do and the door wouldn't open. After trying a few times I went to the passenger side and got in, hit the unlock button to unlock all the doors and the driver door still wouldn't open. I took the trim piece off (the little piece that covers the door lock) the inside of the door and attempted to manually unlock the door by pulling the rod but to no avail.

Any idea what I should do next? It seems like I would have to have the door open to get whole inside door panel off so I'm not really sure what to do

1st gen lumina
If you cannot open the door from the inside or outside handle, the you'll have to get the door panel off with the door closed. Easier said than done and usually results in damage to the door panel. The lock rod may have come off of the door lock assy. Possibly get it released with a "slim jim" type of tool? But my experience is that the panel will need to come off.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
gw84
AF Enthusiast

thanks, I'll see if my mechanic can try the slim jim first before I go tearing into the door trim. It really sucks having to use the passenger door to enter/exit!

Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
gw84
AF Enthusiast

Thought I'd post an update. My mechanic was able to get the door open eventually with a slim jim. Door opened and closed just fine after that....for about a week, then it became stuck again. If I can get him to open the door again, and get the door panel off from the inside, what should I look for as far as the rods/mechanisms go?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

If the rods, linkages and retainers are all ok, the latch assembly may be getting worn out and need replacing.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina