Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network
Auto Collision Network The forum for Automotive and Collision repair schools, instructors, teachers and individuals in the industry helping to produced better qualified employees. In association with A.D.Smith NACAT, CRIN, ASA.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
rooin515
AF Newbie

Humming noise when turning at low speeds

Okay, I suspect that the really only sensible, reasonable, not-insane thing to do is to buy a new car, but I don't have the money for that, so I'm just trying to find out what the worst that can happen is...

--------

2001 Nissan Altima: 146,000 miles on it.

I recently got in an accident which messed up the front end of my car. The bumper had to be replaced. I drove myself from the scene of the accident to the body shop and at the time didn't hear any sounds with the engine -- the car seemed fine "except" for the bumper being gone and the frame behind the bumper being damaged. The radiator, behind the frame, did not seem to be touched, and that, combined with driving the car home for the accident uneventfully, was enough to make me decide to keep the car instead of scrapping it. (When I say "except" in the previous sentence, bear in mind that I understand the car was for all intents in purposes totaled. It's just that I need a car to keep getting paychecks in order to pay rent, I can't afford a new car, and I had only had liability insurance. Because it will likely be ruled my fault, I'm kinda screwed.)

I got the car back from the mechanic, and now I hear a high-pitched humming noise when I turn either right or left. This is particularly noticeable at low speeds (5-10 mph); at normal driving speeds (30-40mph, say) I don't hear it, or maybe only baaaarely hear it. I haven't yet taken it on the freeway.

I'm afraid there's something very much wrong with the axle or differential or something (be aware that I know more-or-less nothing about cars, and I'm already basically just spouting jargon that is meaningless to me).

-------

What's the least that could be wrong? What's the most-likely to be wrong? What's the worst that could be wrong?
rooin515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
bodymanhelper
AF Newbie

Re: Humming noise when turning at low speeds

Hi

It sounds like that your low on power steering fluid
bodymanhelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
LearnAutoBody
Auto Body Mod

Re: Humming noise when turning at low speeds

I agree with bodymanhelper, it may be your power steering fluid level, your pump could be going out or loose belts. However, from what I read, it does not sound like this has anything to do with the accident or repairs made to the vehicle. Just one of those weird deals where it happened around the same time. Check the fluid. If that fixes it, great. If not, you may have someone check your belts to make to they are tight and in good shape and if your power steering pump is working correctly.

None of these are major issues and hopefully this will take care of the problem you are having.

Let us know the results!

"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success."
`Henry Ford
LearnAutoBody is offline   Reply With Quote