Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Other Models
Other Models Discussions about all Hyundai models not specifically mentioned go here
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 02:09 PM   #1
yury
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to yury
Question Stellar CXL 2.0

Hi everybody!
I'm a happy owner of antic Hyundai Stellar CXL 2.0. Did anyone hear about such a piece of metal? I could find some information about it only in the Hyundai MKotors Auto Museum. May be somebody have pleasure to own this historical vehicle? So I'll be pleased to exchange information about this car and how to keep it run
yury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 12:31 PM   #2
Hudson
Old Mod

The Stellar was the RWD forerunner to the FWD Hyundai Sonata. The Stellar was never sold in the US, but was offered for a few years in Canada. It should be similar in many respects to Mitsubishi products of the same generation. But, come to think of it, they didn't sell the Mitsubishi products in Canada either.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 05:40 PM   #3
yury
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to yury
Thanks, Hudson
I know that Stellar has Mitsubishi engine and transmission, but electrical wiring is different and might be unic And carburetor has some differences...
yury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 03:56 PM   #4
Cape Bretoner
AF Newbie

Talking Stellar

Hi, I just got the 87 Stellar...it's my first car (;D )so if anyone has any info they'd like to share about this car it would be great! Thanx a ton!
Cape Bretoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 12:03 AM   #5
TibOwner
AF Newbie

Go to www.teamsr.org and talk to a guy by the name of Jed. He pretty much knows everything about the Stellers and Pony's.
TibOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:47 AM   #6
hdstellar
AF Newbie

Re: Stellar CXL 2.0

Hello fellow Stellar owners!

I am the proud owner of Sweden's only Hyundai Stellar. It's a Canadian spec. -87, 1.6 litres with automatic transmission, originally sold in Kuwait.

In Europe, the Stellar was sold in the Netherlands and the U.K. and in some Mediterrenian countries. But with smaller bumpers than the model sold in Canada and Latin America.

The chassies in Stellar comes from the English Ford Cortina (called Taunus in the German version). Hyundai was producing English Fords before they begun developing their own models.

Hyundai Stellar was designed by the Italian designer Giugiario. I have read it was because Hyundai didn't like the look of Ford Sierra, which was the successor of Ford Cortina.

The manufacturer of the carburetor has a Korean name, I don't remember it right now.
hdstellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:50 AM   #7
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

Welcome to the forum, any pictures?

Members please read: Guidelines
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
nisco
Tib Guy

Send a message via AIM to nisco Send a message via MSN to nisco

yeah pictures= good

my sig made mommies cry, thats why i had to change it..
nisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:44 PM   #9
GJM
AF Newbie

Hi there,
Im in the UK and have a 1.6 GSL Stellar, methinks quite possibly the only one still running since ive never ever seen another one on the roads and nobody has ever even heard of them lol
Its not running at the moment, Im basically looking to restore it, just need to find somewhere to get some new body panels since I cant find anywhere at all!
Its not going because something seems to be draining the battery or the battery is earthing itself somewhere. It was fine then started to make hard work of starting up, then wouldnt start up but all electrics worked and now nothing, its compleatly dead even all the electrics. I stuck a new battery in it and over 3 weeks the same thing happened again Any ideas? Im no mechanic and am pretty new to all this stuff lol
I love the car (most people think im mad for liking it) love its retro style looks and the interior, full electics, centre console, gear changes with your little finger, love it all!

Stellar
Stellar Interior

Stellar
GJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:32 AM   #10
hdstellar
AF Newbie

Hello GJM! Nice to hear that there are more mad Stellar-lovers out there.
Thank you for the beautiful pictures as well. Your car has the same nice racing red colour as mine. But mine has the Canadian-spec huge bumpers, like on this car:

I'm sorry I can't help you with your electrical problem. I'm no mecanic either, so I have no idea about what could have happened with your beautiful car.

If anyone is interested in more pictures of Hyundai Stellar, please visit my page:

Stellar pictures

/Magnus
the only Stellar owner in Sweden
Old 01-16-2005, 04:34 PM   #11
mike5721947
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to mike5721947 Send a message via MSN to mike5721947

we had a 80 somthing steller!! it was a std and was rebuilt from the ground up in 92 (i think) because it was hit in the rear and was bought as a right off (damage worth more then vehicle) it ran strong until it was given to my sister in 2000 (i think) then the problems started (she drove it hard and stupidly) i never found out what happened to it after it was given to her.
mike5721947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #12
jaaribear
AF Newbie

Smile 87 stellar

Hi ,

Sioghh, my deceased father had a maroon 87 juts like the stellar in the pic but with a trunk rack on it... Memories......
Anyways. this past summer I bought a pony (86) which was in fabualous shape...
All i need for a safety certificate was rear brakes, rear exhaust pipe, Typical rusted spots under the front outer rear seats mounts (pony trait)
and a drivers side mirror.
thats it..
Body had quite a bit of surface rust, but nothing eaten through so i gave it over a few weeks a lovely coat of cement grey
I was only using the car for the summer, so later on i sold it to a girlfriend of mine for 100.00. Still running strrong, she loves it.
Crampped,noisy,smelly and gets her where she wants to go ...
Im planning on buying a 86 Stellar 1.6 automatic in april for 100.00...
the cars from out west , almost sero rust im told (its under a 8 ft snow bank right now)
But i heard that it belonjged to a man driving through and it sprouted a major oil leak.
so, remains to be seen if can be fixed or not...
other wise im going to need to get ahold of a good used 1.6 from a pony or stellar...
jaaribear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #13
jaaribear
AF Newbie

hi

Hi all

Hej Det Magnus, that silver Stellar in your pics was located only 4 hrs from me.
I wanted that car soooooo bad, but they wanted 3000 cad for it
Old 02-23-2005, 01:59 AM   #14
hdstellar
AF Newbie

Hi Jaari,

Yes, that silver Stellar looks really nice. How comes you like Stellars and Ponys so much?

I found a Russian website that has wallpaper pictures of lots of cars. Including three Stellar pictures.

http://www.autonet.ru/wallpaper/

That light blue Stellar has the same headlights as mine. I haven't seen pictures of Stellars with those headlights before. Are they common in Canada?

/Magnus
Old 02-23-2005, 02:17 AM   #15
jaaribear
AF Newbie

stellar

My very first car when i was a teen was a 85 pony, my father had a maroon 87 stellar, and a 88 excel,my sis a 88 excel.
i believe in europe excels are called ponys...
but my ponys rear wheel drive, not same car as the excel.
those lights on blue stellar are same as 1985 - 1986 stellars here, 1987 brough only one year of newer stellar here with new headlights,tailights,suspension,2.0 engine etc..
but were only sold here up till the 1987 model year.
reasons being other auto makers, ford,chev etc at time were taking hyundai to court over 'dumping' laws.
stating they were selling their cars at unfair low prices. (they never won)
but by time that was over the 1989 sonata was being introduced...
i like the stellar because of its classic european good looks and its simplicity, same with the pony...
they remind me of times past, im always thinking of times gone bye...
thinking what i was doing at the time, where i was, who was still around me before they were taken away..
im a nostaligist i guess...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Other Models