Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
DonSor
AF Enthusiast

Battery Life

My '99 Ford Ranger 4.0l with 125K miles has had the same battery since I bought the car used in 2003. It has a Motocraft Battery which is normally used as Ford OEM. I am not experiencing any battery problems at this point but even if the battery was replaced at the time I bought the truck in '03, that's still almost 8 years ago. There's also the probability that this battery was the original factory installed but nonetheless, would it be prudent to go ahead and replace this battery now although it's still working good. Open circuit voltage is 12 and maintains 13 volts while driving.
DonSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
jdl
AF Enthusiast

Re: Battery Life

Usually if it isn't broke, I don't fix it, but, your right, the battery is long in the tooth. It's your money, your decision. If the vehicle loses battery voltage, on some makes and models, it can affect security systems, where applicable. Idle issues can be affected if battery voltage is lost, till the system relearns.

With engine running, the alternator should carry the load.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Franco2112
AF Regular

Nice service on the battery. Use it until you can't use it no more!
Franco
Franco2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

i agree if it is'nt broke.who will be doing the work??if its you & your not planning
on going away for the xmass holidays then ok.if you plan on going out then it
might be wise to replace now.dont see a cold night being a problem in SD
inafogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Scrapper
AF Premium User

i got a 7 year duralast in s-10 it came with the truck and in these 7 year i've owned it and still going strong. i'd have to look when they put the battery in? also it has only a 2 year replacement i know i did read that.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
toddler62
AF Regular

If your planning on keeping your truck. I'd replace a 7 year old battery, That is unless you like the idea of getting stranded on probably a real cold or hot day
toddler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Obviously a weak battery has an easy life in warm temps like San Diego. Cold weather easily renders a weak battery useless.

I have found some OEM batteries last a long time. My dad's '99 Chrysler is still running on the factory original Mopar battery.

But this is the exception. Most batteries are done after 5 years or so. Its' possible your battery may start your truck fine, but the age has reduced its useful reserve capacity. So, it might fail if your truck is hard-to-start one day, or you use an accessory, like a radio for a length of time, without the engine running.

It may be an idea to load-test the battery and see how the output and voltage drop under load compare to a new battery. If its close, you are probably okay. But if its weak, get a new one.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
DonSor
AF Enthusiast

Only load test I did was to measure the battery voltage while cranking the engine (fuel pump trip switch off) for 12 seconds. Ball park is it should read not less than 9 volts while doing this. Min read slightly above 10 volts. Nonetheless, it would be prudent on my part to just go ahead and replace the battery. After all it gets down to 46 degrees in San Diego during winter months.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Scrapper
AF Premium User

no and i wont replace it until it's dead dead. it's inj a little 4 popper 2.5 and it's went threw 20 and 30 below with the wind chill so no not in the warmest states like indiana. and it's not a vacation truck. where would you by one rual/king? and what kind would you buy? don't say sears sucker die hard there junk to the first time i bought one it was bad they even done elct. check on it and sure enough it was the die junk was bad. just replying to what i red from toddler.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
lectraplayer
AF Regular

I know that I founs out one Alabama September morning that they will fail you in the most unlikely manner at times. After flawlessly starting up, I managed to get several minutes down the road averaging 50 mph before having to pull off and shut down due to a stuck thermostat. It would not start back up. If you do nothing else, get a battery and have it in your truck.
lectraplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
DonSor
AF Enthusiast

I ended up getting a new battery and a new alternator. I don't think it's a good idea to keep a battery way past its warranty period. In my opinion, as the battery wears out (based on its designed cycle), the alternator need to operate at its max design amps continuously to keep the battery charged. Without an ammeter to monitor charging rate, and the vehicle having no problem starting, there is no way to determine the true state of the battery and the charging system. My point? I had a 72-month battery. If I had replaced it shortly thereafter instead of 8 years, I wouldn't have needed to replace my alternator and saved 250 bucks.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #12
Scrapper
AF Premium User

i dtill say duralast battery is what you need i think there the battery made.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
KnobbyTires
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSor View Post
. Open circuit voltage is 12 and maintains 13 volts while driving.
Open circuit voltage on a good working battery is closer to 13.2V @ 2.2V per cell. I got 7 years out of mine before I sold it, and I've never had to use distilled water. You are pushing it with only 12V, open circuit. It's trying to warn you.

It may last through the good times, but if you want to last through cold, heat, jump starts, and long cranks, it's time to not take any long trips or get another battery.

By the way, I went to aircraft mechanic school and still prefer to grease up my battery posts and cable ends. That may contribute to longevity. It's never contributed to short battery life. That way you can toss the little green and red felt rings...
KnobbyTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

New batteries (4 month old) are only $20 at my local boneyard...I couldn't believe it- I was expecting a 2 or 3 year old one, and he comes out with one with a 10/10 sticker on it....To me, that's brand new...always good to check what they got...New cars and even old cars with new batteries get wrecked every day...somewhere.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote