Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #46
4G63t Power
AF Enthusiast

Re: Prelude vs GSX

Learn what an engine is... OK? Learn how a turbo works... Learn what boost is... Maybe just maybe youll figure out that more boost=more power. 16 extra lbs would deffinatley put out 50 more hp. Go to the honda forums and talk body kits and neon maybe there you will find your place... For now since you dont know what your talking about... Go away!
Old 06-10-2004, 03:50 PM   #47
Mike (M3)
AF Regular

more boost>>>>more power.

obviously.

you will have a less reliable engine, but thats not this guys point.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:56 PM   #48
partyhardryan16
AF Enthusiast

yea, it may give you a lot of extra horse power, but you also have to replace the factory pistons and a few other components that are going to run about 800$ installed, or your going to mess your engine up real bad
Old 06-10-2004, 07:03 PM   #49
CrzyMR2T
AF Enthusiast

i think the stock eclipse motor should be able to take 18psi without anything breaking.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:35 PM   #50
4G63t Power
AF Enthusiast

Thank you to Mike (M3) for being the only one who understands that post. The stock eclipse engine can handle about 20. I have a friend running 20psi with stock engine but he has 550 injectors and a walbro 250 pump. partyhardryan16 your right, it would mess up the engine and in order to run that much boost you would need to beef it up. I was just stating that you could get 50hp for 30$. Would I do this. No. Have stupid people done it. Yes. Did their engines last long after it? No.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:05 PM   #51
CrzyMR2T
AF Enthusiast

i meant stock engine as in stock turbo, stock fuel pump, stock injectors, etc... so how much boost could it take safely with stock everything? its pretty pointless to say that you can get 50hp for 30 bucks by boosting, when your engines probably gonna mess up, and not run anymore.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:17 AM   #52
4G63t Power
AF Enthusiast

Stock engine will do fine on 18psi, depending on where you live in elevation you might be able to run 20psi.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:58 PM   #53
r8erz4life
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyMR2T
its pretty pointless to say that you can get 50hp for 30 bucks by boosting, when your engines probably gonna mess up, and not run anymore.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:34 PM   #54
Janet Reno
AF Enthusiast

From the M3 thread...

The Prelude handles better

It beat out the TSi AWD in the below 30k comparison and here it is going up against super cars and beating some. Ties Dodge Viper GTS, beats out the Corvette and the two Porches. And yes, they do tests for all sorts of things including high speed stability and handling.

http://speed.supercars.net/Board?vie...D=8&tID=120349

In the below 30k category this is how things worked.(snips from article)

BMW 318i Sport

Chevy Camaro Z28

Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Ford Contour SVT

Honda Prelude SH

Mazda MX-5 Miata

They were all rated on steering response, lateral acceleration, corner

speed, braking, etc aroundthe Willow Springs International Raceway.

Here's how they placed: #6-Eagle Talon, #5-Contour SVT, #4 Camaro

Z28, #3- MX-5 Miata, #2-BMW 318i, and #1-Honda Prelude SH (winner).

"The Prelude wins with an untouchable combination of steering precision

and suspension stability. It also proves that 'excellent handling' and

'fun' are not one and the same. The Miata is the amusement-park ride;

this Honda fees more duty bound."

"Honda Preludes have been known for excellent handling since the second-generation model made its debut more than 15 years ago. And today's Prelude is no exception. With its new Active Torque Transfer System, it got a first place as "the best handling car for less than $30,000". The competition was among five other cars: an Eagle Talon TSi AWD, a Chevrolet Camaro Z28, a BMW 318i Sport, a Ford Contour, and a Mazda Miata.
The Prelude holds a Ph.D. in precision. The steering is sharp at all speeds, in all curves. Body roll is minimal, and squat and dive barely perceptible. Honda has facts and figures that demonstrate the virtues of ATTS in reduced steering input, reduced understeer, reduced yaw on a trailing throttle, and so on. The new Prelude continues to offer the attractive blend of virtues that makes it so like able: a screamer of an engine inside a nimble-handling, user-friendly coupe with a dash of Honda quality added to the mix. "

THE TSI AWD PLACED LAST OUT OF THE 6 CARS TESTED.

I don't care who you are, how long you've "grown up around cars"(who in North American hasn't been around cars their whole life in the last 30-40 years?). This is from a reputable magazine that was started in the early 60's and that's probably longer than most people on these boards have been alive. Here are the numbers a bunch of people sluffed off before, refute them with actual numbers which I know won't be happening. And the build quality and reliability of the Prelude is a lot higher than the DSM too.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:01 PM   #55
rickjames_biatch
AF Newbie

wow! game, set, and match.
BTW nice sourcing Janet, i do think Car and Driver does know their stuff, but i still like Road & Track better.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:06 PM   #56
nebanezz9
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savior1974
which is faster, any year lude vs. 98 eclipse gsx

also what are the quarter mile time for both??

This guy started out asking which is faster a 98 eclipse gsx or any year lude, the GSX which is AWD is gonna leave any year prelude in the dust off the line stock vs. stock im not quite sure why every one is talking about the handling of the prelude vs. eclipse i mean I love the Eclipse and the Prelude as well but im I THINK the prelude will overall out handle the eclipse...but I KNOW that a 98 gsx awd will blow a prelude away in straight line speed period. Stock for stock noone can argue with that
Old 07-25-2004, 03:22 PM   #57
Dave1669
AF Regular

The Eclipse GS-T and GSX are faster than the Prelude stock for stock. The Prelude handles better than both Eclipses. Reliability obviously goes to the Prelude as well. Eclipses are cheaper to modify though. Both cars have a lot to offer though. With these facts, take your pick.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons