Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 900
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 06:08 AM   #1
Alison
AF Newbie

Saab 900sx

"Am thinking about buying a Saab 900sx Talladega. The car is in very good condition, fsh, low mileage etc but it seems to struggle to engage reverse gear – is this a problem. Someone told me this is a common problem and can be expensive involving the gear box being removed the gear box being removed? Can anyone tell me how big a problem is this and should I be asking for a reduction on the price?
"
Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 07:37 AM   #2
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

Maybe Saabs new gearbox oil can solve this problem, the reason the reverse is hard to engage is usually because the gear is spinning at low speed even tho the engine isn't engaged to the gearbox.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:44 AM   #3
saab9kturbo
AF Newbie

syncro

remember that reverse is NOT syncronized in any saab box before 1994(??) and you have to shift in preferably first gear before you shift into reverse. if you already know this (im not trying to belittle you or anything) then there probably is a problem with reverse. just fill the tranny up with 10w30, at least in the 9000 that helps, dont use the new saab synthetic it eats up the earlier transmissions, that might have it and it must be changed. I dont actually fully understand the 900 drivetrain arrangment, ive seen its all out of a car and its the goofiest arrangement in the world, but also very ingenious. anyways, thats a nice car youre looking at, quick too, so i would definately consider it, even with a worn reverse gear, be nice to the gear and it will be nice to you for a long long time...i know i would buy it
saab9kturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:12 AM   #4
higgimonster
AF Regular

revers is engage using a little lever that is eaasily accesible from the outside. it pushes the gear onto another gear. the stock lever only pushes the gear in a little ways wich can cause for the gear to slip out of place and eventually chip off large peices of metal (it happened to me). The solution is to find someone or a shop that can fabricate you a new longer lever that will push the gear further into place. You can easily access the lever byt taking the plate off of the side of the tranny near the tranny dipstick (most likely harder on turbo models.)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 900