Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Aveo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
sprcvc82
AF Newbie

Aveo gas mileage

Just curious about the gas mileage you guys are getting in your aveo's. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
sprcvc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:12 AM   #2
parky
AF Newbie

mileage

On my Aveo with 1000 mi on speedo, i AM GETTING 28mpg /AUTO /AIR AROUND TOWN DRIVING. Should improve with age. Love the car especially since I installed Cruise Control.
parky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:00 AM   #3
hayesbcajh
AF Regular

Re: mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky
On my Aveo with 1000 mi on speedo, i AM GETTING 28mpg /AUTO /AIR AROUND TOWN DRIVING. Should improve with age. Love the car especially since I installed Cruise Control.
>
How much did it cost you to add cuise? Sounds like you did it yourself? Was it difficult?
hayesbcajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:18 AM   #4
parky
AF Newbie

Re: mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky
I paid 199.00 for cruise on ebay, it took about an hour to install with all connections basically plug in, except for power taps that were crimp on (ALL PARTS SUPPLIED) after I installed it I got a notice from supplier that he would supply it for a lesser cost.

"(MY NAME IS JOE BRANDENBURG FROM BRANDON DISTRIBUTING INC. ROSTRA HAS ASKED ME TO GET IN CONTACT WITH YOU ABOUT THE CUSTOM CRUISE CONTROLL FOR YOUR 2004 AVEO. THE PART NUMBER FOR THIS UNIT IS 250-1753 AND WOULD COST YOU $171.48. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ORDER ONE PLEASE CALL ME AT 877-402-3944)"

This cruise is a good one and works as it is supposed to with ability to hold speed down to around 30MPH. Tom
parky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
redrage
AF Newbie

Re: Aveo gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprcvc82
Just curious about the gas mileage you guys are getting in your aveo's. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I am only getting like 22/27

A lot lower than the window sticker
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
hayesbcajh
AF Regular

I have around 4,000 miles on my '04 and on my last fill up I hit 35 mpg. This is mostly highway driving. It's getting better as it breaks in. I started out at 28-30 for a while. Then a while at 30-33. If I do a lot of city driving I get around 30. It's a 5spd, although I don't think there was much difference between 5spd and auto on the window sticker (maybe 1mpg?).
Old 08-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #7
AveoTuner
AF Newbie

i driuve an auto trans and i get 26-27 each tank. lots of town and freeway action. cruise control would be cool, but wouldnt it void the warranty? they made it clear to me like 20 times.
AveoTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:47 AM   #8
Shadow_7
AF Newbie

Aveo gas mileage

I just got an '05 aveo LT. I have about 1,500 miles on it and am getting about 32.5 mpg fairly consistently. Mostly freeway driving between Houston and Austin. Sure wish the car had a 15 gallon tank, and not an 11.9 gallon one. I keep filling up right on E and only putting in 9 gallons. Around 300 miles worth.

That's with the A/C on, not that you notice much by having it on. Only about a 10F difference at almost maxed. The thermometer says it's coming out 40F, but I don't know where it's going after that, cause it sure aint sticking around in the car.

I used to drive an '87 sprint. It got 52mpg at one point and that's with just a carborator. It was still getting 38mpg at 150K miles. After 4 teenage drivers learned how to drive on it. The aveo has a lot more pep than that car. But not nearly as good of gas mileage. I could get 32mpg freeway out of a '90 grand am. And 36mpg freeway out of an '89 mustang LX. Although the mustang only got about 15mpg city driving. 32.5mpg from the aveo is kind of a disappointment.

I miss the sprint, put in 8 gallons and go 450 miles. The aveo is no sprint. 9 gallons and 300 miles. Although it has a lot more pep. Which you need with todays driving habits. I am hoping it lasts as long as that sprint did. But not holding my breathe too much.
Shadow_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #9
LULASKY
AF Newbie

Gas Mileage, Gosh, I'm getting taken for a ride!

Man, I never get over 18 mpg 'in town' driving with air and auto tyransmission. I'm amazed! Now on the road it is a different story. I usually get 30-35.

For town driving I reset my Odometer and I have never gotten over 210 miles on a tank with combination driving using all variables. Think I should complain? Other than that it has given me zero problems barring the gas cover failing to unlock!

Thanks!
Randy Carver
LULASKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:13 AM   #10
Shadow_7
AF Newbie

I just got back from a trip to Scranton, PA for the DCA world championships. I averaged about 35 mpg on the way up. I got my first oil change in PA at roughly 4,000 miles and recorded my mileage and fuel consumption on the way back. Bear in mind the A/C was mostly on and I was carrying about 650 lbs of people and luggage.

18.565 gallons / 655 miles / 35.381444 mpg (didn't fill it one time so combined the two for an accurate topped off reading.)

6.879 gallons / 286 miles / 41.57581 mpg (got hungry and figured we might as well fuel too)

9.338 gallons / 337 miles / 36.089098 mpg

7.3 gallons / 265 miles / 36.30137 mpg (a very old style pump somewhere in Louisianna)

8.656 gallons / 332 miles / 38.762405 mpg (almost home so last fueling)

But that's almost all freeway miles. I live in texas so things are fairly far apart. I now have roughly 6,000 miles on the vehicle. After just a little over 5 weeks.

There are some quirks with the transmission that I'll probably have the dealer check out when I bring it in next time. Since the software upgrade it seems to shift excessively late if the A/C is on. I have to let off the gas and repump it to get it to shift from 3rd to 4th. Even if I just got on the freeway and am basically cruising at 65mph.

The car seems to get it's best mileage at 65mph. Pushing it to 70mph plus saps a 4-8 mpg from it. Running the A/C another 4-8 mpg. Just my observations / opinion.

Take note of the GM6094M oil rating in the manual. Very few oils seem to meet that standard. Castrol GTX seems to meet it, which is what I normally put in anyway. Which is the ONLY one I saw at WalMart that did. It's in small print on the back of the quart.

Shadow_7
Old 09-19-2005, 07:23 AM   #11
hayesbcajh
AF Regular

What is the GM oil rating?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:03 AM   #12
LULASKY
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Aveo gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesbcajh
What is the GM oil rating?
[b]
I just wanted you to know I took the advise and had my oil changed to Castrol GTX 5-40! I am now getting 8 more MPG 'town' and 6 more MPG 'road' driving!!! I was told the 5-40 was also very important along with the rating...since it is 'thinner', but holds up very well.

The rating has to do with many factors such as viscosity, longevity, detergent, etc. It is arbitrary on GM's part but someone has done their homework!

P L E A S E HELP WITH THE WIRE HARNESS REFERRED TO WHEN INSTALLING AN AMP FOR WOOFERS. WHERE DOES THAT THING COME FROM. THE CD/RADIO DESCRIBES ALL THE WIRING BUT STILL NO LINE OUT... P L E A S E H E L P ! ! !

Thanks so much,
Randy C
LULASKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:11 AM   #13
hayesbcajh
AF Regular

I read the info on oil in the owner's manual and saw the mention of gm oil rating. I find it hard to believe that Castrol is the only oil company to conform to the GM standard. I wonder what the relationship between GM and Castrol is. Am I to believe that the full synthetic 5w30 SM rating that I switched to is substandard for this vehicle? From what I understand (but I'm not an expert) as long as the oil has that sunburst symbol from the API and has the latest rating like SM then the oil is acceptable. We're also talking about an engine that I've read was probably designed before the SM oil rating. And the oil ratings are backward compatible. That is, if your car was designed to run with SJ rated oil then the newer SM rating will work fine. This all leads me to believe that GM uses these cryptic ratings to steer you to a particular product because they have an interest in the company.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:03 AM   #14
Shadow_7
AF Newbie

Just a heads up. Last month the dealership put in 10W-30 oil. At which point in time I got 27mpg, which improved to 32mpg by the 3,000 mark. I made sure they put in 5W-30 the next time and I got 36mpg fairly consistently. Almost all freeway miles. If you're not getting 32mpg to 38mpg, you probably aren't getting 5W-30 motor oil in your car when you have your oil changed. I got the 41mpg on Castrol GTX 5W-30, which was the cars first oil change.

In this day and age, a difference of 5 to 8 mpg adds up to about $40 to $60 in gas between oil changes.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #15
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

we are pretty ussually about 32 auto, air, cruise. i cant wait til the warrentee runs out so i can start to add things to see if i can help it out.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Aveo