Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
View Poll Results: What's your favorite muscle car.
1 ST Gen Camaro 67 44.97%
Corvette 13 8.72%
4 TH Gen Comaro 5 3.36%
Dodge Charger 8 5.37%
Hemi Baracuda 11 7.38%
Mustang 12 8.05%
AC Cobra 6 4.03%
Fairlane 2 1.34%
Trans AM 11 7.38%
GTO 14 9.40%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 08:34 PM   #16
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: What should Chevy's next step with the Camaro be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancebot

you can get 400 hp out of a ls1 easy
You can get 600 HP out of a 427 EASY
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 09:39 PM   #17
Trancebot
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Trancebot
NA 6's wont put out that much but add a turbo or a SC and it will. but that's not my point, im just saying you dont need big blocks anymore unless your driving a truck and need to haul things, that's why they dont put BB's in cars stock these days.

ls1 is more than enough for most people and GM isnt going to cater to the 1% of people that like to waste gas burning rubber all the way down the QM track.

1993 cbr600f2 got crotchrocket?
Trancebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 07:29 AM   #18
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
NA 6's wont put out that much but add a turbo or a SC and it will.

LOL
Add a SC or turbo to a big block-can you say 1000 HP?
Old 01-09-2004, 11:41 AM   #19
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
NA 6's wont put out that much but add a turbo or a SC and it will. but that's not my point, im just saying you dont need big blocks anymore unless your driving a truck and need to haul things, that's why they dont put BB's in cars stock these days.

ls1 is more than enough for most people and GM isnt going to cater to the 1% of people that like to waste gas burning rubber all the way down the QM track.

But I'm not most people, it should be able to make all the power that I want, and the only thing that can do that is a BIG BLOCK, my 302 in my 69 Z dyanoed @ 425 hp stock, but I did give up a lot of torgue. And that's not bagging on the 69 Z either, it's my very favorite car ever built.
dcatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:21 PM   #20
Zwrangler
AF Enthusiast

Yeah that retro camaro looks okay but i don;t know, something about it just doesn't look right. I think it looks a bit too bulky and wide. I like the sleek muscly look but this new one looks like you'd be driving a boat not a sporty car.

93 camaro Z28 R.I.P.
From this......................to this and this

check it out at my website

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars but glory is forever !"
Zwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:24 PM   #21
Trancebot
AF Regular

Re: Re: What should Chevy's next step with the Camaro be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
LOL
Add a SC or turbo to a big block-can you say 1000 HP?
and you need 1k hp for....? Quarter MILES! yay ! becuase thats just exactly what us USA hicks love to do BURN rubber down them 1/4's all day long ... do you relaize that other countries laugh at us and our qm cars? thats why ford build the gt-40, to show americans can hang in the turns and go fast in a stright away.

i think the best part of driving isnt just punching the gas and shifting, i think the best part is turning hard and fast getting curvy then stepping on the gas and shifting.

QM racing was fun in highschool but now its just boring. same old cars doing the same burn outs racing for 10 or so seconds and bam the funs over... all that energy and money for 10 seconds whoopdy doo

Old 01-12-2004, 10:50 AM   #22
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

An all aluminum big block would be lighter than the LT1 350. Camaro's strong point has never been handling anyway. Thats what the vette is for.

Whats the 1000 hp for? why don't you take a guess
Old 01-12-2004, 11:54 AM   #23
1g1yy
AF Regular

What!? Someone said their STOCK '69 302 Z-28 put out 425 HP!!! YOU ARE DREAMING!! I was around and went to the drags in 1969-70 with my best friend who had a blue and white '69 Z-28. There were several other '69 Z's that always showed up too, including one that was never street driven. Almost all of them had headers, rejetted carbs, and recurved distributers as a minimum. Almost all were running at least 4.11 gears. None -- NONE-- of them would break 14 second quarters except the non-street driven one, and it only ran high 13's. It's high time to bury the myths guys. Most of those old muscle cars just weren't that quick or fast. My brother-in-law had an orange and white 427 Yenko Camaro. It was totally stock and I remember riding in it and thinking --even at that time -- that it was just not as fast as I imagined. It ran mid 13's!

One of the Corvette mags that I get did a mid-year Corvette dyno test recently. It dynoed small and big blocks. The results were shocking! Even the big block 427's made far less HP than a stock new LS1!

You must keep in mind that the only reason the late 60's and early 70's muscle cars developed such a reputation (muscle cars) is because they were followed by the weak smog cars of the seventies.

Just my
1g1yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 06:31 PM   #24
Trancebot
AF Regular

PWMAN, you just dont get it.

1g1yy your right, too many people dont realize just because they sounded hardcore and looked bad ass didnt mean they pulled 11's out of the box.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:55 PM   #25
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

I don't think you get it. I would hope after 30+ years of technology they could make cars with less cubic inches faster! But just think what they could do with huge cubic inch with this technology, mega HP.
Plus 30 years ago cars where made out of thick metal, and weighed atleast a half ton more. Also way less traction.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:28 PM   #26
RacinRex
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RacinRex Send a message via Yahoo to RacinRex

I have seen some pics of what was supposed to be the '04 or '05 version of the Camaro that was supposed to come out. The front and rear end shots took a lot from the '69 Camaro with some new body contours. It looked pretty tight, but it was just a drawing of what they thought it was going to look like. If they stuck with that design, it would be a hot seller, but like somebody said earlier, they need to keep the cost down so an average Joe can afford it. All I can say is I want mine Hugger Orange with white racing stripes. 69 is my favorite! Always has been and always will be! Can't wait to see it.
RacinRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 07:51 PM   #27
Trancebot
AF Regular

Quote:
I don't think you get it. I would hope after 30+ years of technology they could make cars with less cubic inches faster! But just think what they could do with huge cubic inch with this technology, mega HP.
Plus 30 years ago cars where made out of thick metal, and weighed atleast a half ton more. Also way less traction.

They have made cars with less cubic inches faster over the last 30 years that's why there are 4 bangers pulling a 8 sec QM or 6 bangers pulling 6's. That's why they dont need huge motors anymore they just take up space and cost more to make.

Cars today work with less HP to achive the same or greater speeds of the old BB muscle days.

Old 01-12-2004, 08:45 PM   #28
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: What should Chevy's next step with the Camaro be.

Quote:
They have made cars with less cubic inches faster over the last 30 years that's why there are 4 bangers pulling a 8 sec QM or 6 bangers pulling 6's. That's why they dont need huge motors anymore they just take up space and cost more to make.

Cars today work with less HP to achive the same or greater speeds of the old BB muscle days.
OMG, that was my point. If they can make 4 bangers and 6 bangers that fast, look what they could do with huge CID motors. The sky is the limit.

BTW the fastest cars (other than jet engines)you will see on the quarter mile in none other than big block V8's. Cubic inches matter. They run 4's. And 6's is a FAR cry from 4's.
And it is certainly not more expensive to make. The larger displacement the easier it is to get HP out of, thus cheaper too.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #29
Trancebot
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: What should Chevy's next step with the Camaro be.

Quote:
OMG, that was my point. If they can make 4 bangers and 6 bangers that fast, look what they could do with huge CID motors. The sky is the limit.

BTW the fastest cars (other than jet engines)you will see on the quarter mile in none other than big block V8's. Cubic inches matter. They run 4's. And 6's is a FAR cry from 4's.
And it is certainly not more expensive to make. The larger displacement the easier it is to get HP out of, thus cheaper too.
it costs way way more to get HP out of a BB than a SB just pick up a parts catalog and you'll see the huge diferance.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:08 AM   #30
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: What should Chevy's next step with the Camaro be.

Quote:
it costs way way more to get HP out of a BB than a SB just pick up a parts catalog and you'll see the huge diferance.

Given the fact that they start off with 200 more HP, thats not an issue.
Also, for example, if a set of heads gives 50 HP gains to a small block, the equivelant heads for BB would give 100 HP. It costs more but you get more.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical