Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 05:17 PM   #16
lipstrace
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to lipstrace
Re: Grand Am Shuts off for No Reason while driving....

I had a 98 grand am the exact same thing happen to me. The mechanics thought i was nuts cause it never did it for them after 3 trips to the shop it finally shut off it was the starter coil. i read another post were a guy said it stalls on him not exactly thesame problem but i gave him the same advise.
lipstrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:23 AM   #17
reather25
AF Newbie

Unhappy i have the same problem

i bought a used 2000 grand am GT 2 weeks ago....it shuts off for no reason, they replaced my passlock, crank position sensor, computer & a modulator....i still have the problem....however, i do notice that when i fill the gas tank up, it runs perfectly until the hand drops below 3/4 of tank. GM has no idea what the problem is, nor does the dealer or my mechanice.....fuel pump has also been replaced....i love my car, but cant deal with all this....if i cant figure out what the problem is soon, im getting rid of it
reather25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #18
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

welcome reather25, is ur passlock enabled? Meaning is it turned on. If it is and ur still having trouble with it dying, hav the dealershit turn it off, and ur troubles should go away.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:19 PM   #19
reather25
AF Newbie

Talking Re: i have the same problem

thanks xeroinfinity!! my warranty should kick in monday...im taking her to the pontiac dealer tuesday....now they think i may have a small crack in my fuel line & its creating a vaccuum lock...so until then im riding on a full tank of gas.....should i have them disable my passlock while they have it? they have to check my front end anyways...it sounds like my tires are rubbing & theres a clicking noise when i turn....my alignment is really bad too....but i think once all this is fixed i will be alright....its just been stressful
reather25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:05 PM   #20
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

I would hav them turn the passlock syst off. It only makes the car shut down if its stolen. I dont think GAs are on the high theft lists.

If ur passlocks on and u remove the stereo, the stereo becomes junk. It locks the code in the stereo and only the dealer or another qualified tech can fix it, usually u'll need a new radio though. Thats theft deturent? You will hav one less thing to check for errors.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:30 AM   #21
rkuchar1111
AF Newbie

This was happening to me. I cleaned the connections on the battery, after replacing my battery alternator. It worked
rkuchar1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #22
Jacksonvillebilly
AF Newbie

So I just had the same problem I thought it was originally leaning towards crank position sensor so I changed it out and a week goes by good no problems then bam shut down 3 times in a row so now I'm like wth well anyways it turned out it was a vacume hose running from the throttle body to a sensor a little hose maybe 5 inches long but it was dry rotted and this was on a 2.4 l pontiac grand am se so maybe it helps !
Jacksonvillebilly is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM