Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
wagslick
AF Newbie

Brown sludgy coolant (oil in coolant?)

My wife took the car in for an oil change today. Oil change folks alerted us to some brown sludgy coolant in the reservoir tank. After taking a look for myself it appears the coolant is brown and sludgy. Some folks have told me it may have oil in it, others have said it's a bad mix of old and new coolants. I've also looked at the forums dealing with intake manifold gaskets and head gaskets. How can I better diagnose this problem? Is it bad gaskets or bad coolant? How would i know if it's a bad head gasket or intake manifold? Thanks for the help!

BTW it's a 2003 malibu

I added some pics:

Last edited by wagslick; 11-02-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
wagslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
dpalomaki
AF Regular

Re: Brown sludgy coolant (oil in coolant?)

Is there any indication that someone has added conventional (green) coolant to the system rather than the universal or Dexcool? Has the coolant ever been changed?

The photos look like what a I had with the bad lower intake manifold gasket on an '02. Also saw evidence of coolant getting into the oil. (Made oil kind of brown/muddy if checked shortly after driving, but with your ffesh oil change it may take a while to appear.) The car was also losing coolant, and the level on the oil dip stick was actually increasing due to coolant getting into the oil.

You could try flush the cooling system and replace with fresh universal coolant, then watch for changes in the coolant and in the oil. Also, look for evidence of external coolant leakage along the gasket, especially under the throttle body and near the cruise control unit. But this may be hard to spot.

FWIW: The gasket failed on the '02 at about 80K miles and 6 years.

Not a super difficult DIY repair if you are comfortable working cars, just takes a good bit of time, patience, and some tools. However, it is a costly repair at a dealer or shop.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Dadcanfixit
AF Newbie

I have the same problem, I think its because I did add some green coolant instead of red (Dexcool). I took off the resovoir and cleaned the gook out of it. But now the gook has returned. The brown gook floats near top of resovoir and coolant is pink below. No trace of coolant in oil and no engine failure as yet. Its been 6 months at least. I thought maybe the tranmission fulid might have leaked from the trans cooler in radiator, but not trans problems either.

Im going to try flushing the coolant and refill with Dexcool (red) Also remove the resovior and wash all the brown gook out of it and wash with soap and rinse real good.

Has anyone else had this problem? Appreciate responses. ekornowski@aol.com
Dadcanfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

It could be a bad Temp tech @ oil change service station!
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
coolant , gasket , intake , oil
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu