Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
300GTkid
AF Newbie

Sorry More Problems

I took my car to a friend that had the same car as me and he did work to his without any problems. After we replaced just the plugs we went to start up my car and we heard this loud knocking coming from the engine and the check engine light came on. We took everthing apart around 4 times and still the knocking. Since it was dark we called it a night and let him the car stay there for the night, i got a ride home and he said he would fix it. He called up this mourning and said the knocking is gone. But now the car misfires worse than it did when i brought it to him(matter of fact it wasn't missing that bad at all just stupid paranoia to replace them). And a shit load of smoke coming from the car. Smells like oil, the car runs like shit now. So i'm not even going to drive it until i can take it to a mechanic ( no offense to my friend). It never did none of this before i took it to him. He said i was extremely low on oil yet the light was never on and the pressures reading fine. hes dads a good mechanic and i believe him. I checked the oil and it seems fine. But i having a hard time believing that just changing sprak plugs could do this to the car. Here's The Symptoms
-Misfires horrible
-Smoke from car
-Hesitates on Start Up
-Drives Like Shit

Like i said none of this happened before i took it to him. Help please
300GTkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Sorry More Problems

Did you unplug the rear bank of injectors?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
300GTkid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee
Did you unplug the rear bank of injectors?
Yeah i was thinking about that too.He said he checked but putting in new sprak plugs dosen't cause you car to take longer to start up and msifire, when id didn't do it before. The smoke coming out is that damn exhaust paste, it did the exact same thing when we first put it on. Plus its not blue
Old 10-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Im just saying if the rear injector bank was unplugged it will knock like crazy and be totally underpowered. I was changing injectors once and forget to plug in the rear bank when I first fired it up it sounded like shit.

Worst case, something may have dropped in the intake and you might be fucked.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
300GTkid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Im just saying if the rear injector bank was unplugged it will knock like crazy and be totally underpowered. I was changing injectors once and forget to plug in the rear bank when I first fired it up it sounded like shit.

I hope your right, i'm running out of ideas of whats wrong, but you've been extremly helpful from day one. For the worst case we had all the screws we needed except one we lost but we know definatley that it didn't fall into the injector. He said it drove perfect when he was driving it back to my house then started to misfire 5 mins away
Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
300GTkid
AF Newbie

Quote:

Yesterday i tried driving it, i drove it ten minutes down the road ran rough. i came back and 4min into the way back it was trying to shut off on me then it sputtered and misfired real bad.Check engine light would come on. Then the RPM Gauge dropped to zero, i would press the gas and it the gauge was still at zero but i could faintly hear the engine trying to rev up. Then she finally died.I tried to start it back up four times and it was done. So i had it towed back to my house, let it sit overnight and just out of curiousty started it up and it came back on like nothing happen, but it still sounding like a diesel truck with the mis firing. She didn't do none of this before i got a friend to change the spark plugs so it's something that happened then.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Is the MAS plugged in?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
300GTkid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Is the MAS plugged in?
I didn't checked but we didn't see anything out of place, anyway we towed it to my grandfathers shop so he could work i pray it something small
Old 10-20-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Vorsath
AF Newbie

It does sound like a mass how it was bad, then got worse, then finally quit, thing makes your computer spin around like a top :P. Also, I know you didn't drop the screw or bolt in the injectior, but is there a chance it ended up inside the intake.. Did you replace the intake manifold gaskets when you took them off? Also there are a ton of vacuum lines and many many diferent plugs that have to all be plugged back in besides the mass, which is the huge one near the air filter. Unless you look at it it doens't look unplugged because it falls under the air tubing and isn't noticable unless you look for it or if you look at it from behind and see the empty slot for it.

Eh, I typed a little fast there so if it's hard to read my babble let me know and I'll repost it.
Vorsath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Vorsath
AF Newbie

B.T.W. your car isn't a turbo is it? that opens up tons of other possibilities for whats wrong when doing the spark plugs if it is.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
300GTkid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsath
It does sound like a mass how it was bad, then got worse, then finally quit, thing makes your computer spin around like a top :P. Also, I know you didn't drop the screw or bolt in the injectior, but is there a chance it ended up inside the intake.. Did you replace the intake manifold gaskets when you took them off? Also there are a ton of vacuum lines and many many diferent plugs that have to all be plugged back in besides the mass, which is the huge one near the air filter. Unless you look at it it doens't look unplugged because it falls under the air tubing and isn't noticable unless you look for it or if you look at it from behind and see the empty slot for it.

Eh, I typed a little fast there so if it's hard to read my babble let me know and I'll repost it.
Unfourtanetly we just replaced the spark plugs no gaskets or seals, now i'm being told i need a new engine.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
Crackhedbob341
AF Regular

You should read the CEL code, and that will lead you to the problems, should it be oil, MAS, etc.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
Vorsath
AF Newbie

Quote:
B.T.W. your car isn't a turbo is it? that opens up tons of other possibilities for whats wrong when doing the spark plugs if it is.
what did they say was wrong with it?...that bolt you couldn't find maybe? That sucks man, those are expensive to replace.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #14
300GTkid
AF Newbie

Quote:
what did they say was wrong with it?...that bolt you couldn't find maybe? That sucks man, those are expensive to replace.
Yup it's proably that damn bolt he lost, now we need to replace the whole engine

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth