Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
3GMD
AF Newbie

o2 Sensor Bypass?

Ok so i have a slight problem with my 1997 3000gt VR4. I bought it a year ago in July 06 and everything was perfect for being a car that is almost 10 years old. The previous owner modified the car a bit, this is what he did:

K&N Air Filter
Manual Boost Controller (currently 14psi)
3" Borla Exhaust
(all CATS stripped, he claimed there was some kind of chip in the car, but i dont know)
Turbo Timer

So I drove the car and up came emissions in November 06, I passed with flying colors, no problems, no check engine light. Two weeks after emissions test my check engine light came on. I let some time pass and then took it to the dealer and two other mechanics. The codes which I dont have were for o2 sensor 1 & 2 and I got to see for the first time from one mechanic that my o2 sensors were removed, wrapped in tin foil, and tied up under the car. Go figure! There are no ports on the exhaust pipes to even consider putting them into unless they welded ports.

Today I just took my car to a permormance shop and they told me I would have to first modify my down pipe which is curently rubbing on the transfer case in order to fit a high flow CAT, and that a high flow CAT wont even gaurantee that the check engin light will go off. Costs ~1,200.00
So I guess my question is....has any body had this problem and found a fix, maybe sometype off o2 bypass or simulator that is proven to work on the VR4. And Noone can seem to tell me why i didnt have a check engine light on for the first 4-5 months that I drove the car and why it came on even though nothing was changed or modified.....any help is appreicated...thx
3GMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
jason_bet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to jason_bet
Re: o2 Sensor Bypass?

Look for the search bottoms.. there all over.. look through the FAQ's... welcome to the forums..

http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...?idProduct=769

Jason
jason_bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
blu3kgt
AF Regular

well like you said... the o2 sensors weren't even hooked up... so then that means that your car must already have some type of o2 simulator... maybe the simulators just went bad and that why you get the check engine light now... just get some simulators from 3sx.com
blu3kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Hotshot8792
AF Enthusiast

sounds like you have a 2nd gen with a 1st gen aftermarket downpipe. 1st gens had 2 O2 sensors, 2nd gens had 4, which the extra two were in the downpipe.

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL-TT Automatic - Black
3.05 L Arias Forged Pistons, Pauter Forged Rods, DR Stage 3 heads, 3SX TD05 kit w/ E16G's, CX Racing FMIC, 550cc injectors, Walbro 255lph pump, + supporting mods

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - Black
Intake & Boost Controller so far

2006 Sea-Doo RXP Supercharged, Updraded SC, IC + supporting mods
Hotshot8792 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth