Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
scott198910
AF Newbie

Exclamation 1999 Grand am pon

After the cold hit last night I turned my car on and it starts to shake a lot, also white smoke so I drove it to work while driving it takes forever to pick up speed and jumps speeds on rpm while shaking a lot and then I got off work and now its so hard to turn the wheel now(I put in steering fluid) and still shakes badly. I smelt burning kinda before work and I no I'm due for oil change so I just put oil in atm bcuz I have no time to take it any where atm since I work to full time jobs. Also the Trac off light is on and my service engine light is blinking. Any. Help will be nice soon I gotta walk to work tomorrow morning so cold.
scott198910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 1999 Grand am pon

You have some major problems here....

A major one, is the blinking check engine light....that means you have a serious misfire.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: 1999 Grand am pon

I'm sorry to say, a misfire may only be the beginning of the problem(s) with your car. The burning smell and white smoke are potential indicators of a blown head gasket. Having been through one of these myself, I know that it's quite a task. The parts needed for this usually aren't that expensive, but the labor is another story. If you were to do it yourself (warning: it's not easy) you'd save a lot of money, but if you pay a shop to do the job, it can get pretty expensive.
Another concern I would have is how long has it been since your last oil change? Running an engine on overused oil can cause some serious damage too.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM