Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
p91842
AF Newbie

2002 Grand Am GT will not start

I have a 2002 3.4l Grand Am GT. The starter will not even try to start. It started and ran just fine before my daughter had the stereo removed. There is no stereo in it right now. They said they did not mess with any wiring except the normal removal.

I have power to the red wires to solenoid. When ignition is in the start position, I have no voltage to purple wire on solenoid. I can jumper solenoid and engine turns over but will not start. All electrical stuff on car works.

I read on other posts of Passlock and Security codes. Everything was fine with car till stereo removed. The Security light comes on for a few seconds and then goes off with ignition switch on. And battery voltage fine.

TIA
p91842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2002 Grand Am GT will not start

I don't recall that removing the stereo would cause the vehicle not to start.....I think it is a coincidence, that this happened with the radio being removed....

If there is a PassLock problem, the car will not crank over, if you have the computer controlled system of PassLock in the second diagram.....check your underhood fuse block...if it has a starter relay, you have the second diagram...If you have access to a scan tool that can read "B" codes, usually a B2958 or B2960 is set...the usual fix is, to replace the PassLock sensor, which surrounds the key lock cylinder....

" The Security light comes on for a few seconds and then goes off with ignition switch on. And battery voltage fine."

This bothers me or makes me tend to think it's the PassLock system.......with PassLock, the THEFT or SECURITY light, should come on and stay on with the ignition in the "on" position(sometimes if there is a problem, it could also flash).....it only goes out after the vehicle starts....If it is a PassLock problem, that is why the vehicle did not start when you jumped the starter....if the PassLock sensor did not send an R code to the PCM, the PCM will not ground the starter relay, AND, it will not fire the injectors, thus no fuel....you can verify this by jumping the starter and having someone spray carb cleaner into the intake while cranking....car will run as long as you spray....

As far as the stereo goes, the only thing that I can think of, that could cause a problem, is if, during radio removal, something happened to the harness to the radio,,,,,if a wire was chafed, and caused a fuse to blow, or if the Class II data line was somehow grounded, this could ground the entire data line...

Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
p91842 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
p91842
AF Newbie

Thanks a lot Tech II. The second wiring diagram led me to why car would not start. I traced it to the PCM ACC 10A fuse that was missing on fuse block on drivers side of dash. I did not remove stereo, so I am confused why fuse missing. But any how, I put in fuse and started right up.

Thanks again for your help!!
p91842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Just an FYI there were some GMs that would not start with the factory stereo removed. My uncle had a 03 (I think) Cavalier and he swapped out the factory radio and car would not start. He tried a bunch of stuff and nothing. Made a few phone calls, got told about the stereo, put the factory back in and it fired to life like normal.

He ended up having to get a pro install done and had the factory stereo installed along with the aftermarket with the factory stereo tucked in the trunk.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM