Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Eurovan/Multivan/Caravelle/Transporter
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
kevander
AF Newbie

Eurovan Pre-Wired for CD Changer?

We have a 2003 Eurovan MV with a AM/FM/Cassette radio. It has controls for a CD changer on the radio. Does the Eurovan have a plug/connection wired someplace for the connection of a changer? My wife's 1999 New Beetle has this in the back hatch area. Someone once told me that it might be under the front shifter console, but i don't want to tear that up looking for it.
kevander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
EuroVanMan
AF Newbie

Re: Eurovan Pre-Wired for CD Changer?

Hello:

I have a 2002 EuroVan MV, and mine came with the VW OEM disc changer, which is mounted under the front passenger seat facing forward. I just went out to check and the cable appears to eminate from a slit in the carpet under the passenger seat just behind the back of the changer. If you remove the passenger-side, rear-facing seat (which easily unlocks and lifts out), there is a space behind there large enough to get your hand into. I stuck my face under there with a flashlight and there is a wire coming out of the changer and diving into the carpet. The harness has a modular plug.

My changer is by Volkswagen/OEM, model number 1J6-036-111 - I remember I had to order a new magazine for the changer because the old one was lost. A quick scan of eBay shows one for sale right now with this exact model number for about $129.

There is no way to tell if your car comes pre-wired for it, but if you've got the radio with the controls the chances are good. My last car was a late-1990s Mercedes which had the same situation - no changer but a radio that was made for one, and I found the harness under the felt lining of the trunk. Those kooky Germans ...

Just a word to the wise, my changer is kind of wonky - lots of disc reading errors when the magazine loads. Not sure if that's just mine but I've heard other complaints with similar issues. I think that's why the magazine concept fell out of favor, plus it's impossible to load and unload CDs while driving unless you have a willing passenger.

Hope it works out for you. Good luck!
EuroVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Eurovan/Multivan/Caravelle/Transporter